The DMFA Radio Project

Started by Tezkat, July 08, 2006, 04:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

... is this where I step in? :-/
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

James StarRunner

I don't know. Can you sound like a girl?

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on February 21, 2007, 01:34:22 PM

More importantly, can he do your accent?  What sort of accent do you have, anyway?  Is it a typical W.Canadian accent?

Hmm.  What about Mystiq/MadCheshire?  IIRC from your DA, she's in your neck of the woods.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

James StarRunner

Well, let's see how her close her west accent sounds like my mid-west one! I'll try to get a hold of her.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I keep getting declined usage on my credit card because they say I'm Mrs, not Mr. I'm pretty sure my wife and son disagree, but the preponderance of evidence otherwise is sometimes worrying... :-)

No, I probably can't do the accent. I -could- re-speak every single line there is, but that would generate a whole lot of work for poor TW, so...

Worth a crack, though...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 21, 2007, 01:45:56 PM
No, I probably can't do the accent. I -could- re-speak every single line there is, but that would generate a whole lot of work for poor TW, so...

Rerecord the lines isn't the problem - that will have to be done anyway.  The big problem is keeping it believable.  If Dan comes from Canada and his sister has a thick Liverpool accent it's going to sound pretty silly :P

Now, if I can sort the PC out tonight I'll be well on my way to rebuilding the studio now that there are curtains to keep it from prying eyes.  And I should have dialup connectivity, at least in theory.

Insane, did you ever get anywhere with the Abel's Story retakes?

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's not liverpudlian. Heck, it's a vague mix of Aussie, Kiwi, and middle-english. Just about anyone I know gets it wrong, so why should you lot be any different? :-)

I thought I'd recorded some stuff for you before?

Failing that, I'll see if I can organise some recordings of Alexsi's lines for you. Why not....

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 21, 2007, 02:11:31 PM
It's not liverpudlian. Heck, it's a vague mix of Aussie, Kiwi, and middle-english. Just about anyone I know gets it wrong, so why should you lot be any different? :-)

Actually I deliberately tried to choose somewhere I knew you wouldn't sound like, by way of example (I was going to say 'German'). 

QuoteI thought I'd recorded some stuff for you before?
I don't have my takes vault to hand since I'm at work and Windows can't read EXT3 for my portable drive, so I can't look and see...

QuoteFailing that, I'll see if I can organise some recordings of Alexsi's lines for you. Why not....
Yeah, go right ahead...

James StarRunner

I've got an idea too. I'll go ahead and record the Dan[Alexi] lines. That way whoever takes Alexi's part can imitate how I say things.

Mystiqe

James StarRunner

Mystiqe

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mystiqe on February 22, 2007, 01:46:15 AM
Quote from: James StarRunner on February 22, 2007, 01:42:22 AM
And here's her take on Alexi!

http://www.crystaltopia.com/Sound%20Files/Extras/daniel.mp3

hur hur hur *snort*

That's pretty good.  A little shrill, but at least as good as James' sister - and playing it back a little slower helps too :P

The bigger problem is the popping on the microphone.  You can fix this easily by speaking across it rather than into it.  Other alternatives include making a pop filter from stockings and a wire coathanger, or deliberately going easy on the P's and B's.

Mystiqe

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 22, 2007, 06:32:34 AM

That's pretty good.  A little shrill, but at least as good as James' sister - and playing it back a little slower helps too :P

The bigger problem is the popping on the microphone.  You can fix this easily by speaking across it rather than into it.  Other alternatives include making a pop filter from stockings and a wire coathanger, or deliberately going easy on the P's and B's.

yeah, im trying to work out the speaking bit, but that was just a sample ^^;

llearch n'n'daCorna

I was going to ask "which segment do you suggest for a sample" but... I suspect I've been beaten to the punch :-)

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 22, 2007, 06:32:34 AMOther alternatives include making a pop filter from stockings and a wire coathanger, or deliberately going easy on the P's and B's.

Cheap pop filter instructions here.  If you're a guy, just remember to throw the unused portion of the nylons and the packaging out before your parents find them, or else you...heh...

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

James (and Mystiqe...), is there any chance we can have some recordings for the Danielle arc?  That would be Mystiqe doing everything (s)he actually says, and James doing the inner thoughts.

Mystiqe

Tezkat

Quote from: James StarRunner on February 20, 2007, 08:51:07 PM
Who's that Alexi?

It's... OMG!  :erk

http://www.crystaltopia.com/Sound%20Files/Extras/alexicompare.wav

So ladies, think you can do better? :P

Oh dear... what have I started?  :kittydevious

It's a bit on the drag queen falsetto side, but good effort. To get a truly feminine sound, you need to bring your voice down a little and relax more without moving it forward. To hear how that's supposed to sound, check out the "gals" in these clips--most of them include samples of their original male voices for comparison.

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 21, 2007, 01:37:20 PM
More importantly, can he do your accent?  What sort of accent do you have, anyway?  Is it a typical W.Canadian accent?

I'd say that James has a fairly flat (Western) Canadian accent. It doesn't have much of the prairie twang you hear in a lot of Albertan voices. Most Canadians and a lot of Americans from the Upper Midwest could pass for family unless their accents have a strong local colour.

Quote from: Mystiqe on February 22, 2007, 01:46:15 AM
Quote from: James StarRunner on February 22, 2007, 01:42:22 AM
And here's her take on Alexi!

http://www.crystaltopia.com/Sound%20Files/Extras/daniel.mp3

hur hur hur *snort*

I like it.  :mowcookie It has a lot of the energy and youthful sound that James's sister brought to the role.

One other anti-popping trick that sometimes works well for newbies is holding a finger a few inches in front of your mouth (as if you're tring to shush somebody). It breaks up the puffs of air even better than most nylon pop filters. It also has the added benefit of providing tactile feedback if you're actually learning how to modulate your voice in order to reduce the plosive bursts.

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 22, 2007, 12:07:24 PM
James (and Mystiqe...), is there any chance we can have some recordings for the Danielle arc?  That would be Mystiqe doing everything (s)he actually says, and James doing the inner thoughts.

Hmm... why do we want a real girl voicing Dan for that?   He doesn't even have that sort of disguise capability as a Cubi yet. Besides, Biggs failing to see through James's drag queen voice would make the whole scene that much funnier. :mowninja :mowdan
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on February 22, 2007, 03:56:48 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 22, 2007, 12:07:24 PM

Hmm... why do we want a real girl voicing Dan for that?   He doesn't even have that sort of disguise capability as a Cubi yet. Besides, Biggs failing to see through James's drag queen voice would make the whole scene that much funnier. :mowninja :mowdan

I'm assuming that Abel modified his voice as well.  That's how we're handling Abel, anyway - me for the speaking parts and Insane for his thoughts.  For the original Dan-in-drag arc, I'm thinking of having James do it as you suggested.

**EDIT**
Oh, Tezkat - you did Pegasus, didn't you?  Any chance you could reprise the role?  he turns up in 707,708 and 711, although he's presumably going to return in the next month or so when they come back to deal with the 'succubus'.

Sienna Maiu - M T

*coughcough*
I did a sample for Hennya, hmm... yes.

It's horrible and I have a cold, but where should I put it?

(aka-help on hosting?)

llearch n'n'daCorna

email me, I'll host it for you.

Or email TW, or put it on photobucket, or....

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on February 25, 2007, 05:01:13 PM
I did a sample for Hennya, hmm... yes.
It's horrible and I have a cold, but where should I put it?
(aka-help on hosting?)

If photobucket does indeed take audio clips, that would be fine.  If you know how to use FTP, I can PM you the login details.  Emailing the file to me is a possibility, or there's RapidShare at a pinch.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Okay, I had to go to Confirmation class and Rapidshare was being a jerk, so I didn't get it uploaded until now.

Alright, so this one I did first, then this one. I really hate the first one for obvious reasons, although I like the emotion which is somewhat conveyed. Then I did a couple more takes of the strip without a copy in front of me, so the plus on the second one is that atleast the words are right.

Now, hurry-up and listen before I wangst-out and try to delete it. (because I can you know, I can.)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on February 25, 2007, 11:09:28 PM
Now, hurry-up and listen before I wangst-out and try to delete it. (because I can you know, I can.)

Rapidshare is being cranky again.  Can someone else grab it?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Sure. Give me a couple hours to get some time free, though.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 26, 2007, 06:54:12 AM
Sure. Give me a couple hours to get some time free, though.
Any joy?  It isn't working at home, either.  I recommend we never, ever use it again.
Email would probably be a better idea.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Clearly it's a sign.

Because it's so bad.

Try using Cogent.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 26, 2007, 05:11:23 PM
Sorry, I got distracted by work. :-/

http://llearch.net/radio/recordings/Hennya_recording.wav and http://llearch.net/radio/recordings/Best-ish.wav

Thanks.   I'll check them out now...

**EDIT**

Okay, tech-wise, it has the popping problem.  As described above, try to speak across the mic rather than into it.  Also the recording is a bit too loud and goes into distortion.

The takes themselves are pretty well-done.  In fact, they may actually be too-well done.  The first recording in particular does a very good job of sounding extremely concerned about Abel.
However, my impression of Hennya is of someone with a slightly shrill, rather scatterbrained mode of speech, like she's slightly confused by what's happened to Abel, but not very concerned
Are you any good at doing dim-witted? :P