The DMFA Radio Project

Started by Tezkat, July 08, 2006, 04:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on January 03, 2007, 06:16:05 PM
I... so... fail...

I know I must really update the cast list again. School kinda took over and then I went home for the holidays. I also failed to realize that my dad's computer didn't have a microphone, so I was unable to get any new Alexi lines while I've been here.

Oh dear, oh dear.  (clean version)
Not only does it mess with the current plotline but it banjaxes the SAIA arc as well since we do not have the "Sorry dear, we're closing" line.

[desperate panic]
Didn't you once mention that you sounded like your sister when the recording is speeded up?  Do you think you can do the line for #481 yourself so we can give it a shot, since it's just one line?  If not, we'll have to hold SAIA up until we do get Alexsi's lines and perhaps work instead on the 'Disasters' arc which does IIRC have most of Alexsi's lines recorded.

"I'm sorry, I never knew a wolf could cry" -- Rosaleen

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

James StarRunner

Actually, it's backwards... My sister sounds like me when slowed down. I won't have to wait for another huge holiday, but I was hoping to get a lot done during this one. When I visit next I'll bring my own mic.

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on January 03, 2007, 07:03:06 PM
Actually, it's backwards... My sister sounds like me when slowed down. I won't have to wait for another huge holiday, but I was hoping to get a lot done during this one. When I visit next I'll bring my own mic.

Okay.  Well, would you mind trying the line yourself anyway as a stopgap measure, or is your PC still knackered?

Tapewolf

Okay, here's an updated version of the 'Recipe for Disasters' file.  It currently runs up to about 293.

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/disaster4.wav.mp3

The big improvement here is the new Mab and Aary voices.  We are still missing Alexsi's voice for the "Sorry I haven't seen Merlitz" bit and I don't believe I have Wildy's retort to Dan about the DDR match (it's left blank for now).

James StarRunner

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 03, 2007, 07:09:57 PM
Quote from: James StarRunner on January 03, 2007, 07:03:06 PM

Okay.  Well, would you mind trying the line yourself anyway as a stopgap measure, or is your PC still knackered?
Heh... it's in pieces right now. My harddrive finally died. I bought a new one, but I think it's defective. I can exchange it, but I'm going to try it on my room mate's PC before exchanging it. It may be a while yet before I figure out what's wrong. Hopefully I can also recover stuff from my old hard drive. Not sure how long it'll take though...

insanekaosx

wait, whats this, time to record? Where'd I put that list of what I have to do.... oh feck it, I'll jsut get onto abels story for ya

Tapewolf

Quote from: insanekaosx on January 08, 2007, 07:41:02 PM
wait, whats this, time to record? Where'd I put that list of what I have to do.... oh feck it, I'll jsut get onto abels story for ya

That would be nice.  Is the current part of the arc going to be a problem?

One of the other things I'd like is all Abel's thoughts for the 'Merbel' parts (that's 705-708).  The earlier 'dragon' sequence would be handy too (680-695).

insanekaosx

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 08, 2007, 08:07:18 PM
Quote from: insanekaosx on January 08, 2007, 07:41:02 PM

That would be nice.  Is the current part of the arc going to be a problem?

One of the other things I'd like is all Abel's thoughts for the 'Merbel' parts (that's 705-708).  The earlier 'dragon' sequence would be handy too (680-695).

Ah, telling me, thats good too :D

Why would current arc story be a problem? think I can't whimper n command ;D You will be amazed at how pathetic I can be! :P

Edit> Got up to some 57 or something.

Skipped one little comic, 'cause I don't feel quite up to yelling things about sodomy while others are around.

Edit 2> Would help if I put the link, eh :P
http://www.box.net/public/gkrsig9mtg

Tezkat

Well... I'm back home for a bit. My PC needs a bit of surgery, but it shouldn't prevent me from recording unless my preamp fizzles again.  :mowdizzy

Anyhow, since I'm a bit out of the loop right now... what arc(s) are we currently working on?

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on January 19, 2007, 03:16:43 AM
Well... I'm back home for a bit. My PC needs a bit of surgery, but it shouldn't prevent me from recording unless my preamp fizzles again.  :mowdizzy

Anyhow, since I'm a bit out of the loop right now... what arc(s) are we currently working on?

Cool!  Technically, the SAIA arc which I'd like to finish.  However until I get the Fa'Lina and Alexsi voices I'm stumped.  The Jyrras voices you provided before seem to be okay, but I'll need his voices for the later sections as well (where Abel catches him etc).

I did think you were doing the rat in #502, but it seems we don't have an actor for that one so I may as well keep my take.

While the SAIA arc is on hold, I've been looking at the 'Disasters' arc instead (memo: bug Seraline about the post-fight Aary lines again :P)  so the lines from 241-249 would be handy.

I'm at work so I don't have the voice archives with me, but did we ever get the 'kid Jyrras' voices for 349-359?  There were a couple, but I don't believe the entire set was done and I think the extant recordings were from the 'burn them!' period  >:3

IIRC we were going to speed them up slightly, but I'd have to check Llearch's 'Nice' archive to find out.

**EDIT**
You might want to re-do Edward too.  And I'd be curious to know what happened to the preamp.  Did the valve go or was it something more serious?

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 19, 2007, 04:48:06 AM
Cool!  Technically, the SAIA arc which I'd like to finish.  However until I get the Fa'Lina and Alexsi voices I'm stumped.  The Jyrras voices you provided before seem to be okay, but I'll need his voices for the later sections as well (where Abel catches him etc).

While the SAIA arc is on hold, I've been looking at the 'Disasters' arc instead (memo: bug Seraline about the post-fight Aary lines again :P)  so the lines from 241-249 would be handy.

Okay... "Patches" and "SAIA" it is then. I'll stick those in the queue.

I did think you were doing the rat in #502, but it seems we don't have an actor for that one so I may as well keep my take.

Yeah, I'm the grey rat... who doesn't seem to be getting much in way of new lines beyond the batch I did ages ago. I remember us having an actor for the brown guy once upon a time, though I can't quite remember who it was off hand.

I'm at work so I don't have the voice archives with me, but did we ever get the 'kid Jyrras' voices for 349-359?  There were a couple, but I don't believe the entire set was done and I think the extant recordings were from the 'burn them!' period  >:3

IIRC we were going to speed them up slightly, but I'd have to check Llearch's 'Nice' archive to find out.

No... no we didn't. At least, I don't recall posting anything remotely recent that didn't require firey burning.  :kittydevious

I've had some time to practice women and kid voices. I still can't do decent prepubescent boy voices the way some female voice actors can, so my current kid Jyrras is more a basement rat style scratchy teenagerized version of Jyrras. It's passable, I guess.

I'll have to see how much usable stuff I can fish out of my archives, but I might have to redo some bits anyway and alter my delivery to accommodate anything more than a few % speed increase. My preferred reading of some of those kid lines is rapid enough that enough that speeding it up further makes him sound like he's on an IV caffeine drip.  :mowdizzy I'm already up in the childlike pitch ranges (250 Hz and up), however, so it probably doesn't need much in way of pitch shifting.

**EDIT**
You might want to re-do Edward too.  And I'd be curious to know what happened to the preamp.  Did the valve go or was it something more serious?

Hmm... I actually did redo Ed a while back. I was even working on a mix with lots of cool crowd sound effects. Do we have everyone else's lines for that sequence yet?

As for the pre... I think it was just a tube going bad. That's my theory until it dies again, anyway.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on January 19, 2007, 07:34:52 AM
QuoteIIRC we were going to speed them up slightly, but I'd have to check Llearch's 'Nice' archive to find out.

I've had some time to practice women and kid voices. I still can't do decent prepubescent boy voices the way some female voice actors can, so my current kid Jyrras is more a basement rat style scratchy teenagerized version of Jyrras. It's passable, I guess.

Yeah, if you have a sample of that you can put up, I'd be interested to hear it.

Hmm... I actually did redo Ed a while back. I was even working on a mix with lots of cool crowd sound effects. Do we have everyone else's lines for that sequence yet?

For the memory itself, not really: we don't have Destania, the baby-dan sounds or the priest.  Hilary had a stab at Dee for some of the more recent strips and she'll probably keep the role unless someone comes out of the blue, but I must admit it's not quite what I'd imagined.

Zedd

I can do baby dan if you like

Tapewolf

Quote from: Zedd on January 19, 2007, 02:56:07 PM
I can do baby dan if you like

IIRC you have a rather bass voice, and Tezkat did a pretty good job on his own last time.  But you're welcome to have a go.

Zedd

Not my fault i cursed with fluked DNA

Tapewolf

Having clean forgotten about the Tezkat samples provided over Christmas while I was away, I've done a reissue of the relevant clip, removing my awful attempts to do his voice.

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/saia3b3.wav.mp3

**EDIT**
And now I have Aary's lines for the later part of 'Disasters', too late for me to use them though.  Hopefully I should be able to put together the second part of that segment tomorrow night..

llearch n'n'daCorna

*whistles innocently, updates scripts*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Like the Jakob-Cross song, this is rather less finished than I'd like, but it will have to do for now...

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/disasters2_1.wav.mp3

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 19, 2007, 07:50:08 AM
Quote from: Tezkat on January 19, 2007, 07:34:52 AM

For the memory itself, not really: we don't have Destania, the baby-dan sounds or the priest.  Hilary had a stab at Dee for some of the more recent strips and she'll probably keep the role unless someone comes out of the blue, but I must admit it's not quite what I'd imagined.

Um... weren't those all roles that I was playing?  :mowtongue Okay... I've located the Lexsi lines as well as Hilary's Destania (I actually liked my readings better on some of the lines--go figure. :erk). I think we're still missing Dan and Aary in the middle though.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 21, 2007, 01:46:26 PM
Having clean forgotten about the Tezkat samples provided over Christmas while I was away, I've done a reissue of the relevant clip, removing my awful attempts to do his voice.

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/saia3b3.wav.mp3

Hmm... one thing that I picked out...

The "Booyah!" is in the wrong place. It's meant to be a capstone for the transformation--sort of a "Hey! Look at my cool new shape!" Unfortunately, it's completely drowned out by the transformation sounds. It belongs at the end, after the sound effects (and there seems to be room for it there, too).

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on February 05, 2007, 05:16:06 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on January 19, 2007, 07:50:08 AM
We don't have Destania, the baby-dan sounds or the priest. 

Um... weren't those all roles that I was playing?

Yes, but they were all from the 'fire' era, and I must admit I was kind of hoping for a female Destania.  If you're happy to provide updated versions (that are not baked into a mix), go right ahead.

QuoteI've located the Lexsi lines as well as Hilary's Destania (I actually liked my readings better on some of the lines--go figure. :erk). I think we're still missing Dan and Aary in the middle though.

If you meant the lines in 297, I've got both.  In actual fact all of Aary's lines for that segment are still on the FTP site if you want to go grab them.  Dan's utterance is at 3:06 in the 'Dan_Disasters' file which should be on Crystaltopia.

QuoteThe "Booyah!" is in the wrong place. It's meant to be a capstone for the transformation--sort of a "Hey! Look at my cool new shape!" Unfortunately, it's completely drowned out by the transformation sounds. It belongs at the end, after the sound effects (and there seems to be room for it there, too).

At last... actual comments on the recordings.  It's very difficult to judge these things without feedback.  Anyway, the "Booyah!" was clearer in my original recording, but yes, it probably should be at the end rather than at the climax.

Sienna Maiu - M T

I've decided that I must get back into the fray of things, with the beginning of a new semester being the ideal time, before we are loaded with too much homework.

This post henceforth shall be a reference point, so that I may go back at later times and not feel quite so overwhelmed.

Very Well, continue with your Merry-Making.

(And I am so willing to voice anything in the future.)

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 05, 2007, 05:40:56 PM
Yes, but they were all from the 'fire' era, and I must admit I was kind of hoping for a female Destania.

Heh... I'm hardly married to the role. Hilary has a much better female voice than I could ever pull off.   :mowtongue It's just a delivery thing. I'm a bit attached to my singsongy reading of the "Mama's little angel" lines, for instance. Hilary's seemed a little flat on that part.

QuoteIf you meant the lines in 297, I've got both.  In actual fact all of Aary's lines for that segment are still on the FTP site if you want to go grab them.  Dan's utterance is at 3:06 in the 'Dan_Disasters' file which should be on Crystaltopia.

Hmm... I can't seem to locate the password for that. Is there still a web mirror? I couldn't find the file you mentioned on James's page, either...  :mowdizzy

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on February 06, 2007, 09:43:30 AM
Hmm... I can't seem to locate the password for that. Is there still a web mirror? I couldn't find the file you mentioned on James's page, either...  :mowdizzy

A certain 'cubi clan.  I don't have James' recording in a medium that Windows can cope with, so I'll have to sort that one out tonight.  And I'm sure we can improve Hilary's rendition.  Usually I'd record a specimen myself but with the studio in bits that ain't easy.

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on February 06, 2007, 12:03:47 AM
I've decided that I must get back into the fray of things, with the beginning of a new semester being the ideal time, before we are loaded with too much homework.
(And I am so willing to voice anything in the future.)

Looks like we will be needing a voice for Hennya.  And talking of Abel-arc voices, Insane - did you ever get anywhere with the Abel retakes?

**EDIT**
I've added the Dan_disasters.mp3 file to the FTP area as well - let me know when you have it so I can take it away again...

Hilary

I'd be happy to give it another go... :animesweat

Tapewolf

Quote from: Hilary on February 06, 2007, 10:07:33 PM
I'd be happy to give it another go... :animesweat

http://www.crystaltopia.com/Sound%20Files/297_FlashbackwithDanParents.mp3

..basically Tezkat is fond of the singsong voice he used when Dee is crooning to baby Dan.  If you can replicate that, it would be great.

Tezkat

Ya know... it occurs to me that I should have asked for the login as well...  :animesweat

On a related note, I think we should change the line in Destania's final monologue to read "start over in a new life" (which sounds so much less awkward).

EDIT:

Thanks. Got the stuff off the FTP.

As an aside, Hilary's Destania readings really aren't bad at all... a lot more natural sounding than mine, anyway. After reviewing both of our readings, I think one of the things I liked about the singsong crooning isn't that delivery in an of itself, but rather the way it contrasts with the monologue. In her speech, she's supposed to be a little distant and forlorn--sort of talking to the camera--so in reverting to the warm, mothering voice at the end, we know that she's turned her attention back to the baby (and is explicitly referring to Dan's hands--which is an important plot point).

James StarRunner

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on February 20, 2007, 08:51:07 PM
Who's that Alexi?
It's... OMG!  :erk

http://www.crystaltopia.com/Sound%20Files/Extras/alexicompare.wav

So ladies, think you can do better? :P

In other words, we are looking for a replacement for James' sister as Alexsi.
And no, speeding up James' voice didn't work :(

James StarRunner

Yes! We really need a girl to do this! Don't make me do my horrendous imitation again (though it really was the best I could do).

Speeding it up and/or pitch shifting just makes me sound like Chip of the Rescue Rangers. I actually have a gig to sound like Chip, but not for DMFA.

Saist

Quote from: James StarRunner on February 21, 2007, 12:39:37 PM
Yes! We really need a girl to do this! Don't make me do my horrendous imitation again (though it really was the best I could do).

Speeding it up and/or pitch shifting just makes me sound like Chip of the Rescue Rangers. I actually have a gig to sound like Chip, but not for DMFA.

my. ears. are. bleeding. Somebody please step up so that James does not DO that again.