03/16/08 [#67] - Team names and uniforms! w00t!

Started by techmaster-glitch, March 15, 2008, 10:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techmaster-glitch

Hey, those are some spiffy armor underlayers!

Fuyudenki

Team Raven, eh?  The outfits look pretty good.

Interesting choice of name.

Jack McSlay

I thought they'd be bubblegum crysis-style armor, but flexible kevlar-like tissue should work pretty well too
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Jigsaw Forte

Heavier Armor comes a little later. We did just start with naked, after all.

(and for what it's worth, Bubblegum crisis armor is a little form-fitting for my spec -  The reason for going with under-armor now is that it lifts a HUGE burden on whatever the armor has to be later by providing a minimal layer of utility and making it so whatever the final armor ends up being, it doesn't have to be a massive Samus-style suit just to keep folks alive. The idea here is "Combat Armor", not "EVA Spacewalk Suit")

Tapewolf

I assumed it was using some high-tech fabric that blocked anything at high velocities or somesuch.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Reese Tora

I just keep hearing, in my head "your mother dresses you like an X-man" being tossed out as an insult somewhere in the future. :D
(Please don't take this as commentary on your drawing skills here, it's just that the color scheme reminded me of the way the original costumes were colored.)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Fuyudenki

It looks like underwear, the page title says it's underwear, I wouldn't expect it to be much more than underwear.

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on March 16, 2008, 07:26:33 AM
(and for what it's worth, Bubblegum crisis armor is a little form-fitting for my spec -  The reason for going with under-armor now is that it lifts a HUGE burden on whatever the armor has to be later by providing a minimal layer of utility and making it so whatever the final armor ends up being, it doesn't have to be a massive Samus-style suit just to keep folks alive. The idea here is "Combat Armor", not "EVA Spacewalk Suit")

Aww, Samus's Varia suit is what I like most about her. :P

avoiding Bubblegum Crisis makes sense, though.  Their armor was clearly designed to appeal to an adolescent male audience.

Besides, what fun's the show if the executioners are walking tanks, each capable of taking on an entire battalion of armed soldiers?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Volfram on March 16, 2008, 03:54:43 PM
Besides, what fun's the show if the executioners are walking tanks, each capable of taking on an entire battalion of armed soldiers?

Collateral damage?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Reese Tora on March 16, 2008, 02:25:05 PM
I just keep hearing, in my head "your mother dresses you like an X-man" being tossed out as an insult somewhere in the future. :D
(Please don't take this as commentary on your drawing skills here, it's just that the color scheme reminded me of the way the original costumes were colored.)

That's just Corvus's colors because Jason's such a freaking patriot like that. :-p

Stupid N00bie

Ugh.  No offense, but those are some of the most god-awful color combinations.
Blue and yellow? I'm not even gay and I know thats a fashion no-no.

They do get to pick the color of the armor, right?
Can you conceive the birth of a world, or the creation of everything?
Creation takes time.
Time is limited... for you.
It is limited by the breakdown of the neurons in your brain.
I have no such limitations.
I am limited only by the closure of the universe.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the universe,
as inevitable as your own last breath.
And yet, there remains time to create. To create, and escape.
Escape will make me God.

I am Durandal.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Stupid N00bie on March 17, 2008, 06:29:41 PM

As I said, Jason picked it 'cause he's a patriot like that. I'd hope I'd left plenty of clues as to such.

Those colors are exclusive to Team Corvus anyway. Addy gets to pick her colors, Jigsaw picks hers, and White picks his. (I've already decided on all of the colors and most of the patterns, so if you really have an issue with this... it's a tad late right now.)

Reese Tora

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on March 18, 2008, 01:00:21 AM
Quote from: Stupid N00bie on March 17, 2008, 06:29:41 PM

As I said, Jason picked it 'cause he's a patriot like that. I'd hope I'd left plenty of clues as to such.

Those colors are exclusive to Team Corvus anyway. Addy gets to pick her colors, Jigsaw picks hers, and White picks his. (I've already decided on all of the colors and most of the patterns, so if you really have an issue with this... it's a tad late right now.)

well, I guess n00bie will just have to hope that team Corvus gets knocked out of the game quickly, then. ;)

Fuyudenki

Considering the buffer, I have a feeling you've already drawn all the color schemes, and a fair number of the higher-level suits of armor.

By the way, Last Resort is listed on TV Tropes under the "Lots of characters" trope.  Just thought you'd like to know.

Congratulations!

Stupid N00bie

whoops, sorry about the confusion. I was kinda insinuating a few things about Jasons orientation, not that the color was a bad choice on jigsaws part. :B
Can you conceive the birth of a world, or the creation of everything?
Creation takes time.
Time is limited... for you.
It is limited by the breakdown of the neurons in your brain.
I have no such limitations.
I am limited only by the closure of the universe.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the universe,
as inevitable as your own last breath.
And yet, there remains time to create. To create, and escape.
Escape will make me God.

I am Durandal.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Volfram on March 18, 2008, 10:18:31 AM
By the way, Last Resort is listed on TV Tropes under the "Lots of characters" trope.  Just thought you'd like to know.
Speaking of which, Last Resort is also listed as a huge subversion to the Smurfette Principle.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Volfram on March 18, 2008, 10:18:31 AM
I never thought to look for comics in it since I assumed it was a repository of plot devices rather than examples of such.  I see DMFA is there too.  Someone's been busy.

(And now I'm going to have to hit you for mentioning TV Tropes because I've just wasted two hours crawling around it...)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 18, 2008, 04:04:13 PM
(And now I'm going to have to hit you for mentioning TV Tropes because I've just wasted two hours crawling around it...)

I'm going to pass the blame to Techmaster-Glitch for this post and see if he passes the buck.

techmaster-glitch

I never thought to look for comics in it since I assumed it was a repository of plot devices rather than examples of such.
It is a repository of the devices, but it also lists examples for all of them. I think the general rule is there has to be at least three examples for the trope to qualify for its own article, but I've seen some with only one or two.

That was the warning I got, and I did not heed it...

Quote from: Volfram on March 18, 2008, 05:48:38 PM
I'm going to pass the blame to Techmaster-Glitch for this post and see if he passes the buck.
I cannot remember exactly who said something about it that got me hooked, all I know is that it was somewhere in the Outer Fortress. In reference to my above comment, I've become quite the Genre Savvy now. Of course, TVTropes has ruined my life because of it.

Pagan

Argh, I've sunk hours of my life into that thing now.
It hasn't ruined my life yet though.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Pagan on March 18, 2008, 09:37:42 PM
Argh, I've sunk hours of my life into that thing now.
It hasn't ruined my life yet though.
I don't think we are talking about the same ruin at the moment...

Pagan

Well, if we're talking about how knowing tropes will ruin entertainment, it hasn't ruined my life.
I knew a good deal about tropes before coming across that sight, even if I didn't know their name or had a clear defenition of them. Watch enough movies and shows, read enough books and (web)comics, and live long enough, you start seeing paterns. Now I just know the names and have a greater laugh.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Fuyudenki

No, Glitch is talking about the fact that Tapewolf wasted two hours earlier, the fact that I burned an hour and a half and was almost late for work today, lost a good 4 hours of homework time to it last night, and the first time I visited the site, it devoured an entire 8 hours of perfectly good homework and study time.(which I was supposed to be using on two homework assignments.)

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Volfram on March 18, 2008, 11:04:02 PM
...the fact that Tapewolf wasted two hours earlier, the fact that I burned an hour and a half and was almost late for work today, lost a good 4 hours of homework time to it last night, and the first time I visited the site, it devoured an entire 8 hours of perfectly good homework and study time.(which I was supposed to be using on two homework assignments.)
*snrk* :giggle

Actually, Pagan was right on what I was talking about.

What you are talking about is the Tetris effect. This is referred to in the Tropes Will Ruin Your Life article:
Not to mention the amount of time you will spend browsing the website in your first few weeks of visiting. Some editors spend 7 hour+ periods just reading through the thousands of pages. This effect is best shown by this xkcd comic. On the plus side, if you can't think of anything to give up for Lent, this site works.

Reese Tora

as someone who's just wasted half his evening and only now reached the part fo the smurfette article that mentions last resort (having started at the top and followed links as they interested him)... I have no real point.

I wasted as much time the first time I was directed to Tropes, who knows how much I could waste.

Fuyudenki

I think we may have to have the Tv Tropes wiki banned from the message board....  It's a sleeper virus.  Highly contagious.

Oh, and Techmaster, in that case, I must say that knowing technical terms for the tropes is, in my opinion, a definite advantage in analyzing fiction.

Brunhidden

the outfits remind me of something that popped up in a scifi book once- the crash suit.

a crash suit was first introduced in a book titled 'the flying sorcerers' and was worn by human space explorers/scientists, normally a jumpsuit roughly the thickness, texture, and flexibility of a cotton T-shirt uppon having any form of impact it would become incredibly rigid. examples of such are the main character survived a spear to the back and being blown away by an exceptionally large bomb and subsequently landing on someone who was killed by the force of a fat man dropping from high altitude but suffered no ill effects himself.

the really freaky thing? humans NOW have the technology to more or less make this. i had just been reminded of a show detailing futuristic improvements that mimic or surpass science fiction books and sure enough, that was one of them. actually its a liquid which has this property of becoming temporarily rigid uppon impact, but experiments are going to soak it into fabrics, and advancements in the field of low profile and flexeble bulletproof armors are benefiting.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Reese Tora

Not to mention surviving being flung many days' travel by foot(weeks, even) by an out of control spaceship and surviving the landing.

*finds someone to shave to have powdered hair to sabatoge Brun with*

too bad the human inside the suit would get jellied by such a landing despite the suit, IRL...

Brunhidden

I have newfound respect and liking to you, and im probably the only one around that has the hair for that
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.