03/14/08 [DMFA #886] - Card game

Started by Alondro, March 14, 2008, 07:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brunhidden

random curiosity- ive seen decks of cards similar to what you see 'the joker' use as weapons, essentially shurikens shaped like cards, would it be possible to actually play with those? if so that may be why they had them on their person.

then again its just as likely they have a throwing knife, throwing fork, and throwing spoon

Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Pagan

Man, it doesn't take lamanation or sharp edges to make a card deadly painful. I've got a friend, who with a regular playing card, gave me a welt by throwing it at me from across my bedroom. He's very good at throwing cards like weapons, not so good on the aim though...
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

e_voyager

Quote from: Lucheek on March 15, 2008, 10:11:01 AM

Yes, I saw it on my good screen too. Its just kind of creepy on a darkscreen. xD

considering that all i have is a dark scree i know what you mean. it's is creepy but that adds to the atmosphere if you ask me.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Pagan on March 15, 2008, 12:42:41 PM
Man, it doesn't take lamanation or sharp edges to make a card deadly painful. I've got a friend, who with a regular playing card, gave me a welt by throwing it at me from across my bedroom. He's very good at throwing cards like weapons, not so good on the aim though...

It's tricky, and near-impossible when they're not perfectly flat.

My brother and I learned how to throw cards, and immediately had a large-scale card battle in the back yard.  It was pretty cool.

Rafe

Reminds me - a couple of years ago some of us suggested that Amber come up with a deck of DMFA cards.  David Hopkins did three runs of Jack playing cards and despite the fact he kept raising the price on them (ended up at $15 a deck), they sold them out fast.

Amber said she would feel like she was horning in on Dave's idea if she did her own cards (as if playing cards were a new idea).  Everyone, including David and Katie Hopkins, told her to do it anyway.  What does everyone think?  Wouldn't it be nice to have a deck of your favorite characters?   Maybe even fifty-four of them (with jokers), if Amber  feels like doing it.   What would you pay for such a collection?  I'd say $10 at least.
Rafe

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Rafe on March 15, 2008, 03:21:06 PM
Reminds me - a couple of years ago some of us suggested that Amber come up with a deck of DMFA cards.  David Hopkins did three runs of Jack playing cards and despite the fact he kept raising the price on them (ended up at $15 a deck), they sold them out fast.

Amber said she would feel like she was horning in on Dave's idea if she did her own cards (as if playing cards were a new idea).  Everyone, including David and Katie Hopkins, told her to do it anyway.  What does everyone think?  Wouldn't it be nice to have a deck of your favorite characters?   Maybe even fifty-four of them (with jokers), if Amber  feels like doing it.   What would you pay for such a collection?  I'd say $10 at least.

That would be pretty cool, actually.

Amber would be the joker, probably.

Tapewolf

Amber said she would feel like she was horning in on Dave's idea if she did her own cards (as if playing cards were a new idea).  Everyone, including David and Katie Hopkins, told her to do it anyway.  What does everyone think?

I think she should do it anyway  >:3

QuoteWhat would you pay for such a collection?  I'd say $10 at least.
From a quick google scan for playing cards, they seem to run from £2 ($4) through £20 ($40) for an expensive set.  If I was offered a set of DMFA playing cards at $15, I wouldn't even blink.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ren Gaulen

This talk about cards make me think about Zelazny's "Chronicles of Amber". It would be cool to have a DMFA deck.

Kuari

I think there's a lot of things Amber should do so she actually can make a little more of a living off the comic...  but she seems overly nervous about it.  She really should look into these kind of things though.  It'd do well, without a doubt.

Fuyudenki

Playing cards are a great idea.  I'd think Amber for one joker, Fluffy for the other.

I was at one point collecting business cards from a company in an attempt to make a deck of playing cards.  Then they up and changed their business card design, and made it double-sided.(can't put cards on one side.)

I won't place a bid on the price, as I'm a stingy little monster, and will reliably suggest less than half of what most would consider a "reasonable price."  For example, I consider $20 US fair for brand-new video game releases, and $5 good for such titles as original Halo or Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

Lucheek

I would love  DMFA playing cards. My father collects cards, and we've baught almost all the sets in the world. (All bicycles, cards from National Parks and any place we visit, ect...) And brightly colored is a win in our family! :3

Speaking of witch...what happened to that calendar?

Pagan

Volfram, I greatly admire your cheapness. I am glad to know I have a brother out there who is as tight on his money as I am.

A deck of DMFA cards would be nice, and I guess I'd be willing to part $10-15 for it.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lucheek on March 15, 2008, 06:20:33 PM
Well the calendar itself died with the HDD, as you probably know.  Although if Amber can find time to recolour it and issue a new run, I'm sure it would go down a treat.

Alondro

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 14, 2008, 11:42:23 PM
Quote from: Ren Gaulen on March 14, 2008, 11:09:00 PM

The eye belongs to Cuddles - apparently, it changed the colour from mostly red to mostly yellow. The reasons for that were listed above.

You forgot to add the reason of "When there is less space to shade in, the normally small and easily blendable yellow highlights sort of dominated and gave off the appearance she had yellow eyes now."

Or maaaayyybe it's because her Hollow side is taking control! 

Bleach Bleach Bleach...  :boogie
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Alondro on March 15, 2008, 08:44:31 PM

Here. Have some Bleach.

Lucheek

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2008, 06:36:32 PM
Well the calendar itself died with the HDD, as you probably know.  Although if Amber can find time to recolour it and issue a new run, I'm sure it would go down a treat.

What is the HDD?
I just remember the picture of the  cast dressed up like the Zodiac...

DarkAudit

Quote from: Volfram on March 15, 2008, 01:44:02 PM

My brother and I learned how to throw cards, and immediately had a large-scale card battle in the back yard.  It was pretty cool.

Ricky Jay FTW.  :eager
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Tapewolf

Fuyudenki

and here I thought it was an abbreviation of HarD Drive.

Which is technically the same thing, but...

Anri

Quote from: Brunhidden on March 15, 2008, 12:04:05 PM

then again its just as likely they have a throwing knife, throwing fork, and throwing spoon

*puts on a cheesy English accent* But it all makes perfect sense if you just know your history!

Anri

Quote from: DarkAudit on March 15, 2008, 09:58:03 PM
Quote from: Volfram on March 15, 2008, 01:44:02 PM

Ricky Jay FTW.  :eager

Bwahahah. And relevant to my last post, Ricky Jay was in Mystery Men! >:3

Naldru

Quote from: Tikki on March 15, 2008, 11:26:20 PM
Quote from: Brunhidden on March 15, 2008, 12:04:05 PM

*puts on a cheesy English accent* But it all makes perfect sense if you just know your history!
Hoffmanite throwing fork and spoon
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

RobbieThe1st

Calender wise, we still have it in low-quality web version(I have a copy I got off missmab.com somewhere, I can't figure out where though). Now, being low quality, it wouldn't look good at full-size calender size, although a calender 5 inches wide or so would probably turn out fine.

Another option would be to get someone who has a copy of the calender to make a high-quality scan of each page, and then reconstruct from there.

Card wise, I have one picture Amber made, with a hand holding one card(Mikelo being the char on the card), but I cannot find it on this computer(I know I have it on my laptop however).

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Gamma

A throwing spork would be better. -meh-
-

Playing cards would be a good idea indeed. But it takes a good amount of capital to be able to have decent product runs of anykind. It's no simple silk-screening job thats for sure.
-

Alondro, step away from the Strawberry haired warrior while you still can.  :paranoid
If need be I'll find you a twelve step program.
I managed to quit cold turkey though.
My brothers not taking well to rehab, he really really needs to put down the mangas.
*note*My bro's the jock and I'm the nerd. Go figure.  :U
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

Kuari

Quote from: Alondro on March 15, 2008, 08:44:31 PM

*sighes and facepalms, then grabs Saria, who pulls out the baka mallet as a censored screen soon appears*

Right...  now that THAT'S out of my system....  I wonder how long it took them to stop trying to escape, and to start playing cards....  And why Go Fish?...  Also....  I think the Lizard might have her brain explode from using too many big words.

Possibility #2?  Woah, that Hooked on Phonics really works!!

Rafe

Quote from: Lucheek on March 15, 2008, 09:55:16 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2008, 06:36:32 PM
...I just remember the picture of the  cast dressed up like the Zodiac...

I got my copy of the calendar:

And by the way Amber, if you'd like high-resolution scans of the artwork so you can skip recoloring it, I'd be glad to get them to you.
Rafe

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 15, 2008, 03:33:32 PM
From a quick google scan for playing cards, they seem to run from £2 ($4) through £20 ($40) for an expensive set.  If I was offered a set of DMFA playing cards at $15, I wouldn't even blink.

Likewise.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Brunhidden

random curiosity, who on the calender was cancer?

then again, is there a DMFA version for the Chinese zodiac?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Rafe

Rafe

Pagan

Can't stop laughing...
That's amazing...