Master Mab. What has she done?

Started by AndersW, January 03, 2008, 04:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndersW

I am starting this topic to discuss Mab's plan, try to identify when she was manipulating events without looking like she is, and how far back her manipulation goes.

I do not have any idea what Mab's goals are, but I do think that what she is trying to do revolves around Dan, his friends, and his heritage as a Cubi. 

In comics #222 to #230 we do not yet know that Aaryanna wants to kill Dan, and Dan was conveniently hidden under the door by Mab in #224.  Coincidence?  Or something more. 
I will come back to this in a minute. 

When Merlitz needed to talk to Dan, Mab was Plot Convenient.  This allowed Dan to find out why Aaryanna wanted to kill him, so that when Mab stopped the fight and made then talk it out, Dan didn't need it explained  to him.  If Dan had met Aaryanna back when she was first introduced, she would have tried to kill him and nobody would know why.  That is why she hid Dan under the Door in #224.

Next subject.  I think that Mab blew up her glen so that she could move to Lost Lake.  And only went shopping so that Dan could meet Matilda.

Back in #315, Mab got Aaryanna off Dan's back, so Aaryanna sent an application to SAIA.  I think that Mab wants Dan to visit SAIA at some time, but she wants Fa'Lina to get involved personally, because she knows Fa'Lina.  Which is why Pip are Fi.

When Dan is taken to SAIA, Mab organizes a rescue party to go get him.  Then when they get there she has them split up because she wanted them to meet different people around SAIA. Aaryanna meet Fa'Lina, Jyrras meet Abel, and the rest out of the way having fun.

Mab definitely knew what buttons she was pushing in #695

I am not sure what Mad is on about in #698 and #727.  So I may be missing something there.

Then there is Chapter 22: All hail Queen Mab.  Which is self explanatory... the butler did it! :mowwink

Feel free to pick these apart, modify them, or add your own to the mix.

If you want to find where Mab appears in the comic you can use my DMFA Text Search.  Just type Mab in the Character field, and it will find all her lines.

Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!

Faerie Alex

Well, I think your ideas do seem to fit, although personally, I think that much of that is unconnected. For instance, I agree that Mab was used as a plot device to keep Dan from meeting Aaryanna in #224 however, this seemed to me to be more of Amber's doing to establish part of the plot. Again, in #276, it seemed to me that she was merely "in the right place, at the right time" to advance the plot along. Convenient, but not necessarily part of some sort of master plan.

While I might agree that Mab wanted Dan's rescue party to meet different people, how do you mean it? Certainly, she might have meant it as sort of "go out there and talk to random interesting creatures :3" but I wouldn't have thought that she could have foreseen some of the meetings. Aaryanna and Fa'Lina, perhaps, as she might have known about Fa'Lina's omniscience, but she may have not have been expecting Jyrras to meet Abel, as it seems they might not have met before.

I do agree though, that Mab had to know what she was doing in #695, and the unspecified comment in panel three may well have been hers, in that case.

#727 Seems to be a progression of #698, although both seem to be part of a somewhat isolated gag.

Have at it as you will.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

llearch n'n'daCorna

As for comics 222 to 230, while -we- don't know that Aaryanna wants to kill Daniel Ti'Fiona... she doesn't know who he is, either. Not yet, anyway...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

AndersW

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 03, 2008, 06:29:15 PM
As for comics 222 to 230, while -we- don't know that Aaryanna wants to kill Daniel Ti'Fiona... she doesn't know who he is, either. Not yet, anyway...

I'm pretty sure she did.  In comic #295 Aaryaana says, "Finally I graduated and set off to find Destania. The first place I went to was the Temple of the Pheonix Oracles. If anyone knows anything... it's them..."

And she did recognize him on sight in #289.

Quote from: modelincard on January 03, 2008, 04:35:01 PM
Well, I think your ideas do seem to fit, although personally, I think that much of that is unconnected.

It could all just be random coincidence.  But Mab is plotting something big and we have no freaking clue what it is.  We can only speculate.

Faerie Alex

Ooh, I just remembered something else. Wasn't at least part of the reason that Aaryanna & Merlitz got together in the comic that the RL persons also got together? I could see that, in that case, Amber might want to force a delay in the meeting of Aaryanna & Dan to a better time. Typically, I would think that murderous intent towards a friend might make you think twice before dating a person you hadn't met before (as the comic Aary & Merl had just).
Jeez I need to update this thing.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: AndersW on January 03, 2008, 07:27:31 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 03, 2008, 06:29:15 PM

I'm pretty sure she did.  In comic #295 Aaryaana says, "Finally I graduated and set off to find Destania. The first place I went to was the Temple of the Pheonix Oracles. If anyone knows anything... it's them..."

And she did recognize him on sight in #289.

One presumes that, by then, Merlitz would have shown her a picture. Or Mab. Or someone. Heck,it's 73 strips later, and there's enough time for her and Merl to move in together. Surely during that time she might have found a pic of Dan in a photo album somewhere, or something.

I'm not suggesting that at #222 Aaryanna didn't know that Dan was the one she was after. I'm suggesting that at #222, Aaryanna didn't know what Dan looked like, nor that he was that close to her.

RobbieThe1st

Ya know, all of this is coming together quite well, and especially due to the fact that Mab is supposable "non-linear" - so, it is quite possible that she know what could/will/did happen for each action she does, which means that she could easily know just how to manipulate each character now so that some future event takes place properly.

#698 and #727 could possibly be a way for her to reinforce her personality, so no one would ever think that she might be manipulating everyone in the process. It could also be that Mab was delaying the party so that Fa'Lina could catch up and talk with Pyroduck.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Izkata

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on January 03, 2008, 11:48:58 PM#698 and #727 could possibly be a way for her to reinforce her personality, so no one would ever think that she might be manipulating everyone in the process. It could also be that Mab was delaying the party so that Fa'Lina could catch up and talk with Pyroduck.

Which actually makes sense, because it's never actually stated that they passed it up without putting Pyro's hand in there...

rabid_fox

I prefer to think of Mab as an anomaly rather than a manipulator. She's more fun that way.

Oh dear.

Turnsky

Mab is to Lost lake as Gerry Anderson is to Thunderbirds...

she pulls a lot of strings *nods*

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

AndersW

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 03, 2008, 10:41:05 PM
One presumes that, by then, Merlitz would have shown her a picture. Or Mab. Or someone. Heck,it's 73 strips later, and there's enough time for her and Merl to move in together. Surely during that time she might have found a pic of Dan in a photo album somewhere, or something.

I'm not suggesting that at #222 Aaryanna didn't know that Dan was the one she was after. I'm suggesting that at #222, Aaryanna didn't know what Dan looked like, nor that he was that close to her.

If she found out that Merlitz had a picture of Dan she would have asked him about it.  And Amber would have shown us that.  The way I see it is that Aaryanna didn't know that Merlitz knew Dan, if she had known she would have been on him for information about where Dan was and such.

Tapewolf

Quote from: AndersW on January 04, 2008, 10:31:00 AM
The way I see it is that Aaryanna didn't know that Merlitz knew Dan, if she had known she would have been on him for information about where Dan was and such.

From a thought-reading point of view, that's quite interesting.  She was, after all, able to pull his identity from his mind at a distance when they first met, much like how Abel pulled out Lorenda and Dan when he first met Jyrras.
Mind you, the same applies for Jyrras and Abel not also seeing Kria...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

AndersW

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 04, 2008, 03:46:08 PM
Quote from: AndersW on January 04, 2008, 10:31:00 AM
The way I see it is that Aaryanna didn't know that Merlitz knew Dan, if she had known she would have been on him for information about where Dan was and such.

From a thought-reading point of view, that's quite interesting.  She was, after all, able to pull his identity from his mind at a distance when they first met, much like how Abel pulled out Lorenda and Dan when he first met Jyrras.
Mind you, the same applies for Jyrras and Abel not also seeing Kria...

I don't think she pulled his identity from his mind in 289.  I think that she had gotten a description of what he looks like after she 'found out' that he killed Destania.  If you want to get revenge on someone, knowing what they look like is an important step.  Dan was a pretty well known adventurer and people would know what he looked like.  There may even be some paintings of him in the middle of some epic combat that she could have seen.

Tapewolf

Quote from: AndersW on January 04, 2008, 04:56:07 PM
I don't think she pulled his identity from his mind in 289.  I think that she had gotten a description of what he looks like after she 'found out' that he killed Destania.

Sorry, wrong 'his' - I should have been more specific. I was actually referring to 217, where Aary extracts Merlitz' identity from his mind at a distance.  Since Abel was able to fish other people out of Jy's head, I'm kind of wondering why she didn't see Dan.
That said, when Abel did it in 571, he referred to Lorenda as 'That cow girl' - so it's quite possible that even if she saw Dan in Merl's mind, she didn't know who he was.

Paul

I have no conspiracy theory input, but the whole "Mab has a master plan" thing rather does make me wonder how much of Mab's personality as we've seen it sor far is really an act.

Ailis

I think that Mab's master plan has to do with preventing the "extinction of the dragon race" that Dan's mom is plotting.

First, Pyroduck says that he owes Dan a favor for something he does in the future.  This would require that Dan stays alive for it.

Second, Mab and her daughter talk about "linear beings" (implying that Fae exist in multiple times and dimensions at once).  Mab's daughter also makes reference that dragons exist in Furrae because them being there won't screw up the universe.  This suggests that Dragons are also non-linear beings, which would explian Pyroduck's time travelling.

Third, Mab closely associates with Pip, a "dragon" (Drakes seem to me to be a sub category of dragon).  Thus, it could follow that Mab cares about the dragons due to her association with Pip.

GabrielsThoughts

Dan Mab Fi and Abel...coincidence?
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Joe3210

"You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!"

lawl

WhiteFox

Ah-ha! I have discovered information long overlooked!

http://www.mabsland.com/Art5b/C_v_R.jpg

Note the nefarious figure at the bottom right corner! At last her true colors are revealed.

Which, you know, are still purple.

Ooh, tiny skull. I want one.

Anyway, this damning image clearly shows Mab's future plans for Lost Lake.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Paul

Quote from: WhiteFox on January 10, 2008, 02:49:19 AMAnyway, this damning image clearly shows Mab's future plans for Lost Lake.
Using an army of undead to take over - how ingenious! Today, Lost Lake; tomorrow, the world!

AnizInDisguise

What? Conspiracy you say? Well then, we'll need the US government to shroud it crappily just like Area 51!

WhiteFox

If only someone were here to disugise it. Like Aniz, maybe.

Anyway... I think I've got my theory.

When pip says "I'd feel bad having spent all this time dealing with dan only for him to end up disliking you more in the end."

That makes me think if Dan knew what Mab was planning, he wouldndn't like it.

What could that be?

1) Something Bad to do with his mom. Which fits into the "Preventing the extinction of the Dragon Race" theory.
2) His Cubi aspect?

Flash back to Mab and Rose.

"... You haven't even had  your linear friends die on you yet. But one day you're going to lose someone, and you can't just find new versions of them to make up for it.".

Average Cubi life span is 3K+. I think I remember Fa'Lina being about 9K, and she's still kicking.

I think Mab is looking to make a friend that will stick around for a while by convincing Dan to become a powerful enough cubi that he won't be shuffling off this mortal coil any time soon. Which probably means getting him to learn magic, and start doing the emotion eating thing.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: WhiteFox on January 11, 2008, 04:11:41 AM
If only someone were here to disugise it. Like Aniz, maybe.

Anyway... I think I've got my theory.

When pip says "I'd feel bad having spent all this time dealing with dan only for him to end up disliking you more in the end."

That makes me think if Dan knew what Mab was planning, he wouldndn't like it.

What could that be?

1) Something Bad to do with his mom. Which fits into the "Preventing the extinction of the Dragon Race" theory.
2) His Cubi aspect?

Flash back to Mab and Rose.

"... You haven't even had  your linear friends die on you yet. But one day you're going to lose someone, and you can't just find new versions of them to make up for it.".

Average Cubi life span is 3K+. I think I remember Fa'Lina being about 9K, and she's still kicking.

I think Mab is looking to make a friend that will stick around for a while by convincing Dan to become a powerful enough cubi that he won't be shuffling off this mortal coil any time soon. Which probably means getting him to learn magic, and start doing the emotion eating thing.

Nice little theory. Also, for a cubi to live as long as falina has they have to eat souls. Just putting that in there.

Tapewolf

Fa'Lina isn't exactly ordinary, even for a succubus.  And as AiD points out, you do need to boost your energy somehow to reach her age.  Although there are apparently other ways, the quick and easy method, which many 'Cubi seem to use, is soul-eating.  At present, Dan would rather die, since his worst fear is turning into a monster.  Eventually he may drift towards the normal Creature viewpoint... who can tell?

One thing that isn't clear is quite how the life-extending works.  Taken at face value, the implication is that you last for about 2-3000 years off basic emotion feeding (which AFAIK Dan is already doing, by the way) and to get more than that you have to do other things as well.
3000 may simply be the average lifespan, although the fact that there is supposedly a 100'000 year-old clan founder still alive is going to seriously bork up a mean average.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Fa'Lina's 9k isn't going to help it much, either. ;-]

WhiteFox

Quote from: AnizInDisguise on January 11, 2008, 06:58:40 AM

Nice little theory. Also, for a cubi to live as long as falina has they have to eat souls. Just putting that in there.

*Nods* That's what I meant, actually. If Dan is going to be around for more than 3K years, Mab will have to either manipulate him into eating souls, or put him into a position where he would have to (I dunno, to save the day or something). That's what I think Dan wouldn't like if he discovered Mab was doing.

Hey, I bet that's how the whole Dragon Vs. 'Cubi thing started. I mean, a dragon's got have one huge, creamy rich soul. Maybe they became a favored prey for a while, and took offence.

Ailis

I personally think dragons would posses a spicy soul.  Something crisp with alot of heat.

Dan might become open to eating the souls of evil Creatures, like Dark Pegasus, to prevent them from coming back to plauge Beings.

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: WhiteFox on January 10, 2008, 02:49:19 AM

My My the thing you guys dig up.... This Picture is a gift to the Old Forumites over on JACK's forum by Dave Hopkins.  Back in the early days of DMFA, Amber had time to fool around in other forums and would draw random things for JACK for fun. 

This picture is about another story by Dave, "Rework the Dead" about a virus causing zombies to walk among the furries.  Dave should be re-writing and redrawing it so any surviving copies on the web are not right or canon to JACK.

Anyway, Amber gave everyone a chance to choose sides, to be a Furry Fighter or a Re-worked Zombie Furry.  Well, more people choose Living fighter than undead, so she used herself (Mabs) as a reworked character to help fill the field out. 

Maybe, someone of you, old guard will identify yourself.  The only two I know are the bazooka carrying yellow frog girl with brown hair as Katie Hopkins and the zombie blue skunk with squirrels in his hair is Dave himself.

So don't count this picture as anything about DMFA and it has repeatedly been said only the comic is Truth.  And any ideas and thought expressed by anyone on the forum or anywhere else is just rumours or half baked ideas.  Well, almost everything, I am sure the Demonology 101 section is also true.  Amber does enlighten us here, sometimes, but don't quote her on it.

PBH

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on January 13, 2008, 07:46:28 PM
Quote from: WhiteFox on January 10, 2008, 02:49:19 AM

My My the thing you guys dig up.... This Picture is a gift to the Old Forumites over on JACK's forum by Dave Hopkins.  Back in the early days of DMFA, Amber had time to fool around in other forums and would draw random things for JACK for fun. 

This picture is about another story by Dave, "Rework the Dead" about a virus causing zombies to walk among the furries.  Dave should be re-writing and redrawing it so any surviving copies on the web are not right or canon to JACK.

Anyway, Amber gave everyone a chance to choose sides, to be a Furry Fighter or a Re-worked Zombie Furry.  Well, more people choose Living fighter than undead, so she used herself (Mabs) as a reworked character to help fill the field out. 

Maybe, someone of you, old guard will identify yourself.  The only two I know are the bazooka carrying yellow frog girl with brown hair as Katie Hopkins and the zombie blue skunk with squirrels in his hair is Dave himself.

So don't count this picture as anything about DMFA and it has repeatedly been said only the comic is Truth.  And any ideas and thought expressed by anyone on the forum or anywhere else is just rumours or half baked ideas.  Well, almost everything, I am sure the Demonology 101 section is also true.  Amber does enlighten us here, sometimes, but don't quote her on it.

PBH

:< You ruined the joke.

Prof B Hunnydew

:mowtongue  Glad I could  help......  :mowcookie PBH