The Useless-But-Interesting Information Thread

Started by DoctaMario, November 14, 2007, 02:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctaMario

Quote from: Eowyn on November 26, 2007, 06:51:18 PM
What Eowyn types-m,gbvkkggkkkhkkjhhg tiiiy,    uchjjhhjjjjjjj xfggggggggggggggggggg

What Eowyn says- ahehehehehe

What Eowyn means- And thats the big secret

Isn't there some ban on typing in other languages on this board?  :P

IN other news, Australia was the first country to unionize prostitutes.
http://www.walnet.org/csis/news/world_96/mclaire-9601.html

e_voyager

Despite being raised with English as my first language and being able to excel at reading and reading comprehension in school do to medical problem i have never been able to successfully master spelling and currently spell at a grade school level. a low grade school level. this applies to every language that I've taken the time to learn to read.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: DoctaMario on November 30, 2007, 02:15:05 PM

Nope. There is a polite request to ensure that one of the admins can understand what you've typed, which means either adding a translation, or picking a language we speak.

There -is-, however, a firm rule against acting like an moderator. Unless, of course, you -are- one. ;-]

(You haven't done that. Yet. You're on the line. Just thought you'd like to know...)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Brunhidden

heres a weird one with no use- back in the late 1990s a Japanese game show locked a man named Nasubi in a small apartment and ordered him to strip naked. In the appartment was a large sack of postcards, and that was the show along with the following rules

1- he must provide his own food, clothing, and entertainment from things he wins from entering sweepstakes and other free offers

2- in order to be released he must amass one million yen (about eight thousand dollars) in the same way.

for more then a year 17 million Japanese viewers tracked his progress every Sunday night. He won items like lobster dinners, vacuum cleaners, and steaks, but for some reason never won any clothes. because of this his junk was covered by a CG eggplant, and his naked winning dance became all the rage in Japan.

When he was set free Nasubi said he felt great despair and tried to escape almost every day
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

DoctaMario

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 30, 2007, 02:51:16 PM
Quote from: DoctaMario on November 30, 2007, 02:15:05 PM

Nope. There is a polite request to ensure that one of the admins can understand what you've typed, which means either adding a translation, or picking a language we speak.

There -is-, however, a firm rule against acting like an moderator. Unless, of course, you -are- one. ;-]

(You haven't done that. Yet. You're on the line. Just thought you'd like to know...)

Screw being a mod, I was just trying to be a sarcastic bastard!  :mowsmile

Brunhidden

Quote from: DoctaMario on December 02, 2007, 02:49:42 AM
Screw being a mod, I was just trying to be a sarcastic bastard!  :mowsmile

Did you know there actually exists helpful guides to teach you to be sarcastic? heres one now

pay attention, you may learn something

First of all, what is sarcasm?

-The "witty" use of statements which clearly mean the opposite of what they say. Examples would be "Mariah Carey - she's a great singer", or "Arnold Schwarzenneger could easily play Hamlet".

In the sarcastic sentence "Lawyers are such good value", which word is stressed to make it clear it's sarcasm rather than a downright lie?

-Such. The trick is to draw out the word "Such", and preferably raise your eyebrows or roll your eyes at the same time. Some people would emphasize the point by hunching their shoulders, but that's just over-theatrical.

If someone says "Indy Car Racing's a fascinating sport", are they being sarcastic?

-Might be, might not be. If I'm saying it, it's sarcastic. I understand there are people for whom this might be a genuine and honest statement.

Is the phrase "Nascar fans never drink beer" capable of being sarcastic?

-y. Yes it is. Nascar fans do sometimes drink beer.

What kind of sentence  is NOT capable of being a sarcastic statement?

-'Celine Dion looks like an eel.' Try as you might, you can't make this sentence sarcastic. Sarcasm implies you don't believe the statement, so a direct insult can't be sarcastic.

True or false - if I say "I'd love a conversation about Star Trek", but in fact I hate Star Trek, I'm definitely being sarcastic.

-f. I could just be being polite, or lying for some perverse reason of my own. Sarcasm requires that you intend the listener to know that you are trying to be witty.

True or false - they don't have sarcasm in French.

-f. It certainly does exist - an example would be "J'adore la Grande-Bretagne".

According to the often-quoted saying, is sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?

- Who actually first said this is lost to the mists of time. Of course the saying's wrong. The lowest form of wit is quoting often-quoted sayings. Zing.

- You now have all the skills necessary to make irritating sarcastic jibes, and get on the nerves of everyone around you. Use them properly for Bragi's sake.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... and if not for Bragi's, then for mine.

My boots are wearing out fast enough already on the seat of various people's pants... ;-]

Brunhidden

Mostly useless fact- probably nobody who read the previous posts knows who Bragi was, he was the Norse god of poetry, boasting, and being a smartass

llearch n'n'daCorna

... ie, he's applicable for most of the people posting in the thread. ;-]

EFT is apparently a really useful way of sorting out your emotions. I've had it recommended to me, a lot, by my brother.

Brunhidden

llearch n'n'daCorna

If I was to answer that, it wouldn't be useless, would it? ;-]

Sienna Maiu - M T

It doesn't have to be useful, just interesting.

So, is that site for real llearch? I just spent a bunch of time on it.

hmm...
I have nothing interesting to report.
Okay, how about;
Last winter, we hardly had any snow where I'm at in Canada, although we did have (powerful) storms (short lived, melted within days). The interesting part, was that every. single. one. was on a Monday.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yes, it's for real.

The 4.00.62 firmware version on a Sonicwall firewall appears to have some bugs in the connection tracking handler.

Edit: Sorry, I was misinformed. That's 4.0.0.2-51e

Dannysaysnoo

The Sky May Be doesn't seem to work on Doom95.

xHaZxMaTx

The average lifespan of a tastebud is 10 days.

From the lid of my Snapple red tea. :P

DoctaMario

Fluoride has been known to cause severe apathy in test subjects.

Shaotic Master

If thh above post is true, then depression may be countered by NOT brushing one's teeth

Brunhidden

Quote from: Shaotic Master on December 07, 2007, 05:03:54 PM
If thh above post is true, then depression may be countered by NOT brushing one's teeth

i have acute depression and brush my teeth about twice a year, so ill have to look for another solution

Angel

Although Lincoln was the first president to be assassinated, it wasn't the first time someone had tried to kill the president. The first attempt on a president's life was by Richard Lawrence, whose pistols misfired when he tried to shoot Andrew Jackson in 1835. The famously hot-tempered president then proceeded to beat Lawrence senseless with his cane and had to be restrained.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Brunhidden

The secret service did not actually protect the president until the body of Abraham Lincoln was almost abducted and held hostage. before the incident the secret service tracked down counterfitters and nobody thought that anybody would be crazy enough to take a serious attempt to attack a president or steal the body of one. Abes body was moved 17 times, and ever sinse the secret service has been in place to protect presidents both living and dead

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Brunhidden on December 08, 2007, 05:37:04 PM
The secret service did not actually protect the president until the body of Abraham Lincoln was almost abducted and held hostage. before the incident the secret service tracked down counterfitters and nobody thought that anybody would be crazy enough to take a serious attempt to attack a president or steal the body of one. Abes body was moved 17 times, and ever sinse the secret service has been in place to protect presidents both living and dead

Must get really boring for the ones who have to protect the dead ones. They should liven it up with a tea party for the dead pressies.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Dannysaysnoo

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on December 08, 2007, 05:49:05 PM
haha.

My door in my room has locked me in.
LOL, that happened to me once...no, twice! It was when I had an old, REALLY bad handle. Anyway, the handle(and shaft) on the other side of my door had fallen out, thus rendering the entire mechanism non-functional. One of the times the rest of my family was out, and I had to wait for them to get back. The other time, it was in the morning on the weekend, so I was awake, but everyone else was still asleep. Both times, I had to bang on my door and yell until they noticed and came to my rescue.

Dannysaysnoo

Its brilliant, cause my room hates doors of all kinds.

-My brother's cupboard door came right off. (we use it to stop my main door from closing now)

-Our big cupboard door sometimes does weird things

-my cupboard door doesn't close.

Also, my sister's room doesn't have a door.

Darkdragon

2646798 = 2^1 + 6^2 + 4^3 + 6^4 + 7^5 + 9^6 + 8^7.

I don't know how that piece of knowledge might become useful.

superluser

Quote from: Brunhidden on December 08, 2007, 05:37:04 PMThe secret service did not actually protect the president until the body of Abraham Lincoln

Actually, while Lincoln instituted the Secret Service, and the death of Lincoln hit them pretty hard, they weren't actually commissioned to protect the president until after the assassination of McKinley.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 08, 2007, 05:48:16 PMAren't they in a band already?

No, they were in a movie.  The Dead Kennedys are in a band, and only one of them was president.

Edit: Upon closer inspection, the Secret Service didn't exist for several months after Lincoln died.  I think it was still Lincoln's brainchild, though.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

meany

Useless but intresting fact 1: It is physicaly impossible to lick your own elbow.

Useless but intresting fact 2: 75% of the people who read UBIF 1 shall attempt to prove it wrong and fail.  >:3

Useless but intresting fact 3: Connecticut and Rhode Island never ratified the 18th Amendment: Prohibition.

superluser

Work is defined as Henry Clay, US Songwriter.

Also, James K Polk was the 11th president of the United States.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Fuyudenki

Quote from: meany on December 15, 2007, 02:05:32 PM
Useless but intresting fact 1: It is physicaly impossible to lick your own elbow.

Useless but intresting fact 2: 75% of the people who read UBIF 1 shall attempt to prove it wrong and fail.  >:3

Useless but intresting fact 3: Connecticut and Rhode Island never ratified the 18th Amendment: Prohibition.

Useless but interesting fact 4: my little sister defies UBIF1, and we have photographic evidence.

Can lick her own nose, too.  She's got a giraffe tongue...