The Useless-But-Interesting Information Thread

Started by DoctaMario, November 14, 2007, 02:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brunhidden

Quote from: superluser on November 17, 2007, 10:15:20 AM
Quote from: Brunhidden on November 17, 2007, 08:29:56 AMseven popes have been convicted of being satanists

Are you referring to antipopes or something else?  Because if it's the latter, I would be very curious to know which ones.

actually its more of a reflection of very poor quality controll when hiring a pope. back in the day the average pope may have had a dozen or so grandchildren and deal with it being hereditary.

however the 'quality control' was remedied when a woman pope was discovered. she fell in love with a man who joined the clergy, to be close to him she disguised herself as a man and joined as well. over several years she rose the ranks of the church and somehow became pope. nobody would have known anything until the day she gave birth during mass, which leads to a tradition that carries to today where new popes have to have their genitals touched by the cardinals just to make sure they're packin.

i dot NEED to make stuff up, the truth is far more weird
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

e_voyager

Brunhidden is right about fact and fiction. i live that almost monthly were things IN my life becomes to weird to seem real. aw well on the the game for the sake of simplicity i'll keep my first post local

techmaster-glitch has in his name the name of a Key tool that i respect very highly. he has lived up to the name as far as i have seen .

Glitch the keytool was wielded by the guardian bob but was not originally his as it belonged to his tutoring officer whom was killed by kilobyte the virus that would become megabyte and his sister hexadecimal. upon Bob's defeat at the end of season 3 ( i believe) glitch was wielded by Enzo  matrix until matrix. met up with bob in the web and glitch whom was injured returned to bob. bob temporally merged with glitch to return Matrix and the others to mainframe were the merged bob/glitch combo hel0-ed save it but relying on the use to reboot the system. bob and glitch were separated in season four as megabyte returned and a now upgraded glitch restored to to is full health and upgraded power.

with such a legacy attacked to his name all i can say it  stay well glitch

(next time it'll tell you about the name eilander)
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

superluser

Quote from: Brunhidden on November 17, 2007, 06:20:29 PMactually its more of a reflection of very poor quality controll when hiring a pope. back in the day the average pope may have had a dozen or so grandchildren and deal with it being hereditary.

Yeah, the middle ages were a particularly dark time for the Catholic Church.  Nepotism and quite a bit of corruption made the Church not a particularly holy place at the time.  I'm still not seeing any names.

Quote from: Brunhidden on November 17, 2007, 06:20:29 PMhowever the 'quality control' was remedied when a woman pope was discovered. she fell in love with a man who joined the clergy, to be close to him she disguised herself as a man and joined as well. over several years she rose the ranks of the church and somehow became pope. nobody would have known anything until the day she gave birth during mass

Yeah, I've heard the Pope Joan stuff before, but this version doesn't even pass the whiff test.  I mean, wouldn't she excuse herself when her water broke?

As to Interesting But Useless Information, I offer up `Pope' Joan Chittister, who decided that she was a priestess and was supposed to offer mass (which only priests can do) at some convention advocating the ordination of female priests.  The pope sent a letter to her convent, which would have obliged her not to go, but the prioress decided (by a vote) not to open the letter, so technically, they don't know what it said, and Pope Joan went to the convention.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: e_voyager on November 17, 2007, 06:45:25 PM
Glitch the keytool was wielded by the guardian bob but was not originally his as it belonged to his tutoring officer whom was killed by kilobyte the virus that would become megabyte and his sister hexadecimal. upon Bob's defeat at the end of season 3 ( i believe) glitch was wielded by Enzo  matrix until matrix. met up with bob in the web and glitch whom was injured returned to bob. bob temporally merged with glitch to return Matrix and the others to mainframe were the merged bob/glitch combo hel0-ed save it but relying on the use to reboot the system. bob and glitch were separated in season four as megabyte returned and a now upgraded glitch restored to to is full health and upgraded power.

What is all that from? And why haven't I heard of it? It sounds like exactly my kind of thing...

LionHeart

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on November 18, 2007, 01:57:05 AM
What is all that from? And why haven't I heard of it? It sounds like exactly my kind of thing...

I think it's from the show ReBoot. I remember watching a couple of episodes...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

GabrielsThoughts

if you go to a walmart in las vegas on a saturday morining within five minutes you will see people still wearing their pj's, a man wearing a dress, and occasionally a goth, metal head, or rivet head.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: LionHeart on November 18, 2007, 06:29:55 AM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on November 18, 2007, 01:57:05 AM

I think it's from the show ReBoot. I remember watching a couple of episodes...

ReBoot?.... Oh yeah, Now I remember...I saw some episodes of that show once too, but only a few. And it was very many years ago. I actally thought of ReBoot when I first read E's post, but it didn't seem to fit right to me.
I have got to find a collection of that whole show on DVD somewhere...hell, even VHS will work...

Vidar

A cubic yard of air weighs about 2 pounds at sea level.

All your base are belong to me.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Ryudo Lee

The longest word in the english language that does not repeat any letters is, amusingly enough, "uncopyrightable".

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

superluser

`Squirrelled' is the longest word that you can find in a dictionary, though there's the theoretical word `broughammed,' which will appear longer in most typefaces.

gh0st

tooth past is made with algea

you know that glitter in womens lipstick, thats something called fish scales directly from the processing plants... come on women think of the fishies

superluser

Oh, that's right!

Toothpaste tastes like root beer.

I'm not sure if it's the exact same artificial flavoring, or stereoisomers or what, but it does taste like root beer.

Also, I'm told that Dr. Pepper tastes like celery seed, but I haven't had either recently enough to confirm.

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: superluser on November 19, 2007, 10:09:23 AM
`Squirrelled' is the longest word that you can find in a dictionary, though there's the theoretical word `broughammed,' which will appear longer in most typefaces.

And pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is the longest to have appeared in an English language dictionary.

Dannysaysnoo

'The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog'

this sentence contains every letter in the English dictionary.

xHaZxMaTx

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 19, 2007, 12:31:04 PM
So does my keyboard. :3  Go figure.

qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm is not a coherent sentence. Mine is.

xHaZxMaTx

Dannysaysnoo

it isn't even a sentence. Where' the nouns? The Adjectives? The Verbs?

"I'm going to qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm the mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsapoiuytrewq"

Ryudo Lee

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 19, 2007, 12:25:44 PM
this sentence contains every letter in the English dictionary.

... there's no b, f, j, k, m, p, q, u, v, w, x, or z. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

e_voyager

the name Eliander on the web is not unique even if it nearly once was. it started out for me as i word play on the world enlightened anger on yahoo for and group called AF. and despite  the fact that i started using the name Eliander but in 1997 for and yahoo less then half of the current occurrences  on the web belong to me. Eliander as i discoved when attempting to find my DA account in 2006 when i'd forgotten ho to spell it was the name of and author in 1906 name Eliander Klas http://runeberg.org/sbh/eliankla.html a Nordic author. not much was on the web about him but it proves that even when you think your original you find that some times some one  was first.  i'm not sure but i believe that something else has stated using my last name valderen as well but i have yet to find that on the web.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Brunhidden

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 19, 2007, 12:13:50 PM
Quote from: superluser on November 19, 2007, 10:09:23 AM

And pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is the longest to have appeared in an English language dictionary.

i thought the longest word was antidisestablishmentdisenerienisim, although i do not have a clue what it means. i hear theres a word in arabic thats at least 50% longer

xHaZxMaTx

Neither of which are the longest words in the English language.  Pretty sure that belongs to the Titin protein.

Brunhidden

ye gods, im too afraid to find out what that protein is USED for

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on November 14, 2007, 05:06:11 PM
Oysters, often considered an aphrodesiac, are approximately 70% gonads.

Useless information #1: That made me laugh probably a little harder than is considered healthy.

Useless information #2: A duck's quack actually CAN echo, despite the popular myth.  Thank you, Mythbusters.   :3

Useless information #3: Another myth debunked: you underestimate the strength of an average, healthy heart if you think sneezing stops it even for a second.  It doesn't.

Useless information #4: Sharks and rays are the only animals known to man that don't get cancer.

I'm pretty much a well of this kinda stuff.  But then again, so's the internet.   :P
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Brunhidden

useless fact- ive been replaced by wikipedia

*holds protest sign*

Dannysaysnoo

superluser

Duct tape: is there anything it can't do?

Yes.  Apparently, it cannot seal ducts.

QuoteWe tried as many different kinds of duct sealants as we could get our hands on. Of all the things we tested, only duct tape failed. It failed reliably and often quite catastrophically.
QuoteOur major conclusion so far is that you should use anything but duct tape to seal ducts.

Angel

The average lifespan of a major league baseball: 7 pitches.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Eowyn

What Eowyn types-m,gbvkkggkkkhkkjhhg tiiiy,    uchjjhhjjjjjjj xfggggggggggggggggggg

What Eowyn says- ahehehehehe

What Eowyn means- And thats the big secret