Death leopard

Started by Tapewolf, October 27, 2007, 06:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Here was I wondering when and whether to upgrade my mac:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=printArticleBasic&articleId=9044378

...I think I might hold off.  If anyone here has upgraded theirs yet, I'd be interested to know what happened.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Well, according to that, there's a specific third-party app that apparently causes the issue, and there's a way out that involves manually removing said app...

Seems straight-forward enough to me.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 28, 2007, 05:17:52 AM
Well, according to that, there's a specific third-party app that apparently causes the issue, and there's a way out that involves manually removing said app...

In my initial readings I assumed that the offending software came with the base install - like how Windows comes with the Church of Scientology's defrag software, for example.  If it doesn't, that's not likely to be a problem here.

Naldru

A British computer scientist once referred to applications of this type (those that modify the behavior of the operating system, overclocking of chips, operating in modes not approved by the manufacture, etc.) as hitting the "buttons marked free beer and sex".  They sound so very attractive and get you in so much trouble later.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

bill

Quote from: Naldru on October 28, 2007, 06:03:58 PM
A British computer scientist once referred to applications of this type (those that modify the behavior of the operating system, overclocking of chips, operating in modes not approved by the manufacture, etc.) as hitting the "buttons marked free beer and sex".  They sound so very attractive and get you in so much trouble later.
Defragmentation isn't exactly a radical, dangerous thing to do.

Naldru

I wasn't referring to defragmentation.  I was referring to the software from Unsanity that was mentioned in the prior post.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Cvstos

If you want to upgrade, here's my advice:

ALWAYS back everything up somehow before performing an OS upgrade, be it windows, os x, or linux.

Uninstall and never use Unsanity products, they're notorius for this kind of problem.

Use the "archive and install" or "erase and install" methods.  Just upgrading can sometime produce these problems, although most users seem to be fine unless they had installed an Unsanity program.  To my knowledge there are no widespread issues with the "archive and install" or "erase and install" methods.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Tapewolf

Leopard seems to eat Photoshop 7.  This is not good since upgrading it to CS3 will cost twice as much as leopard again.

Faerie Alex

'Kay, we're upgrading to Leopard (currently). Um...it's kinda working. I haven't got a chance to use it yet though. My dad's troubleshooting some problem where it's freezing up. (I'm on my laptop right now.) But as far as I can tell, it installed okay (that is, it reported no problems during installation). So...ah...I hope it'll get working soon. :[
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Dannysaysnoo

ever notice 'Death Leopard' would make a great band name?

bill

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 03, 2007, 07:48:08 PM
no i didnt

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: BillBuckner on November 03, 2007, 08:03:28 PM
no i didnt

Well, now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Distracting

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 03, 2007, 08:46:39 PM
Quote from: BillBuckner on November 03, 2007, 08:03:28 PM
no i didnt

Well, now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
No, that would be an obvious spoof of Def Leppard.

llearch n'n'daCorna

.. kinda like Def Leppard?

Edit:
Bah. Someone else just -has- to ruin my irony. :-/

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 04, 2007, 04:23:57 AM
.. kinda like Def Leppard?

Believe me, if upgrading broke the sound system, the thread would have had a slightly different title.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Naldru

There is apparently a problem with upgrading to Leopard causing some accounts to vanish.  The contents of the home directory stay in the /Users directory and there are ways to recover.  Apparently, the problem is mainly on systems that have been applying multiple installations in upgrade mode (Panther, Tiger, Leopard, etc.) over the past few years.  There are a number of articles on the Apple forums about this.

DoctaMario

I thought this thread was gonna be along the lines of "Dude, I just found out about this great new band called Death Leopard! THey have this awesome song called "Photograph" that is teh roxxorzzz!!!!111"  :mowwink

Seriously though, as much as I love Apple, it's usually a good idea to wait a bit before upgrading because they usually need a little time to work out the bugs. And quite honestly, I've had OSX just up and crash a couple times on my Mac Book Pro and that NEVER happened on my G4.  >:3

Faerie Alex

Speaking of G4's, mine isn't crashing anymore (it hasn't for a while actually). Turns out it may have been a problem with the sub-woofer. Go figure.

DoctaMario

Quote from: modelincard on November 07, 2007, 04:12:07 PM
Speaking of G4's, mine isn't crashing anymore (it hasn't for a while actually). Turns out it may have been a problem with the sub-woofer. Go figure.

Huh? How would a problem with a sub-woofer cause it to crash?

Dannysaysnoo

also with crashing, i am fixing my NES by destroying a certain pin on a certain chip.

Naldru

Quote from: DoctaMario on November 07, 2007, 04:16:49 PM

Well, some people have been known to turn the volume up rather high and it can cause the equipment to bounce around.

I could also see it being a short which causes too much power to be drawn, especially if it is hooked up through a USB port.

Faerie Alex

I think it was a bad driver, or something. (It was my dad who fixed it, btw.) It stopped working after the installation, but it musta been dragging the system down with it.

DoctaMario

Quote from: modelincard on November 07, 2007, 10:20:39 PM

I think it was a bad driver, or something. (It was my dad who fixed it, btw.) It stopped working after the installation, but it musta been dragging the system down with it.

Wow! Kudos for getting that jive fixed! I don't know if I woulda have even thought to look at my speakers!  :P