Can I borrow a water wizard?

Started by Azlan, October 23, 2007, 12:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azlan

My city is on fire again... can someone send a water mage?

Thanks,

Az
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Zedd

Just give me some vodka and you will be sure plenty of water soon enough I can summon from the ground itsself

lucas marcone

Reese Tora

Yours too, Az? It must be catching.

Only, it's the city I work in that's caught fire. (last I heard, the leading edge was about 5-6 miles north east of our office)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Omega

vodka with fire? That's GENIOUS!!

*ahem*

But seriously, fire is just matter  making bonds with oxygen, so what you need to do is to create a space around the fire without 0² and it will consume it's fuel.

-☺

RJ

Fire needs oxygen to burn... I know, take away all the oxygen! :3 That should do it.

Mind you, I was never very good at science.  :B

xHaZxMaTx

*Wonders if RJ actually read Omega's post.* :lol

RJ

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on October 23, 2007, 08:13:36 AM

:3 It was too science-y for my liking.

Zedd

Quote from: RJ on October 23, 2007, 10:01:21 AM

Omegas post was alittle TL;DR

Kenji

I don't like where all this sciency mumbo jumbo is going. :C

Saist

Quote from: Kenji on October 23, 2007, 11:03:48 AM
I don't like where all this sciency mumbo jumbo is going. :C
* je.saist packs Kenji into llearch and ships the two to Azlan.

How about a Pyromaniac Pony?

Jigsaw Forte

You can't get rid of O2... you CAN, however, get rid of the carbon fuel.

It's called a fire-line. Make a wide-enough band of dirt, and let the fire consume up to that line but no further. It'll contain the fire if you can make it wide enough and long enough to halt advancement worth a damn.

Jigsaw Forte

Damn it, my bad. Double posted.

I got the terminology wrong but the idea right; it's a firebreak.

xHaZxMaTx

Well, you can get rid of the oxygen, it's possible, but I don't know where'd you'd get a container big enough or a pump strong enough to do it. :P

Faerie Alex

Your best bet might be to replace it with a different gas, but then the question would be where would you get that gas, and where would it go once you're done?
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Alondro

Replace it with dark matter.  There's lots of that around!   :3

We used to have fire problems in the NJ Pine Barrens, but then after one absolutely massive fire several decades ago that burned I believe 1.8 million acres, they decided to use annual controlled burns to keep brush from building up.

We've never had a major fire since.  There's just not enough undergrowth to get out of control.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Shadrok

Quote from: Azlan on October 23, 2007, 12:52:33 AM
My city is on fire again... can someone send a water mage?

Thanks,

Az

Ok  :)

*Summons waterfall*

xHaZxMaTx

Is that water or a fire retardant? :P

Reese Tora

Quote from: Alondro on October 23, 2007, 10:24:44 PM
Replace it with dark matter.  There's lots of that around!   :3

We used to have fire problems in the NJ Pine Barrens, but then after one absolutely massive fire several decades ago that burned I believe 1.8 million acres, they decided to use annual controlled burns to keep brush from building up.

We've never had a major fire since.  There's just not enough undergrowth to get out of control.

:B

California USED to do controlled burns until extreme eco-freaks got them banned for 'harming' nature.

Harming my butt! fire is natural, and it'll ahppen by lightning eventually if not be human intervention; it's going to burn eventually, do it in a controlled manner, ^&%^*%!
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

xHaZxMaTx

We don't do controlled fires, anymore?  Since when? :O

Shadrok

Saist

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on October 24, 2007, 12:32:46 AM
We don't do controlled fires, anymore?  Since when? :O

Since eco-freaks like Greenpeace and Sierra club decided that fires caused by Humans were "bad things."

We are having a similar problems out here where I am with eco-freaks getting in the way. A major city near me has a levee on the river front, in one state. The state on the other side of the river has no levee and is building on the riverfront.  The Major city wants to take down the levee, since it hasn't been needed for decades. Actually, the last time the city flooded, it was because the canal flooded behind the levee, not the river itself over the levee.

Yet, the Corps Of Engineers, mostly made up of Sierra Club members around here, refuses to allow the levee to come down.

Another incident I am personally involved with involves a 48-acre plot of land, and a 12-acre plot of land separated by a city road. The land on both sides of the road is listed as navigable waters, which means you could put a boat down into the water. However, trust me, when I can walk on pinestraw and around 1 foot diameter trees, the land does not qualify as navigable. The Corps Of Engineers won't let us burn the undergrowth away either. We can gut it with lawn-mowers, tractors, and other tools, but no controlled fires.

Basically, I always used to the think the Corps Of Engineers were supposed to be the good guys. I've found out personally that is far from the case, and that many of the natural fires that occur in the US today could have been avoided if Eco-Freaks were not in the way. Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying that we should trash the enviroment, not by any stretch of anybodies imagination, but there needs to be a balance struck between what we can do now, and what Nature can do if we don't do anything. As I see it, a lot of Eco-Freaks simply do not understand that concept.

KarlOmega1

My Sympathy is with you, Azlan...I do hope the feds stop that fire before we lose every piece of housing, property and shelter there in the State of California (and by we, I mean the United States).

Such devastation is going to cause so much anarchy or disorder...I can feel it.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Zorro

But the radical Environmentalist really would like all humans dead, that is their preferred outcome.

Everything prevented is just one more step towards the final solution.

lucas marcone

Quote from: Zorro on October 24, 2007, 01:16:15 AM
But the radical Environmentalist really would like all humans dead, that is their preferred outcome.

think about it, isn't it better for everybody?

Valynth

Quote from: Zorro on October 24, 2007, 01:16:15 AM

They don't want every human dead.  They just want to keep everything completely frozen in time since clearly the environment has never changed on its own :rolleyes.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

RJ

Ironically enough, when I first saw the footage of the fires on tv, I thought 'hm... by the looks of it, they don't do any back-burning of the area around them'.

Omega

Quote from: RJ on October 23, 2007, 10:01:21 AM

Well, I am a scientist, mind you. I didn't even used my native tongue.

Alondro

Well, just look at this as a slightly uncontrolled burn, getting rid of all that undergrowth and the hippies that were breeding beneath it.

*Cartman*  Goddamn hippies!   >:O
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Netrogo

Once upon a time I actually posted here.