Questions, Comments, and Theorys.

Started by RobbieThe1st, September 17, 2007, 07:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieThe1st

Being on vacation, I created this post, adding whenever I realized something new.

As I do not have an internet connection right now, I have decided to write this now, and paste it in once I do have an internet connection. I am writing this in sections, and its pretty-much all just muse. When replying, please quite the section(s) you are replying to.
Anyway:

Yesterday I downloaded Tapewolf's 'The Dark Price Of Eternal Youth', and I had a few ideas about soul-stealing: (Note that #1 and #2 would require Tapewolf's theory about being able to take part of a soul, and leave the rest which would still work as a soul)
1. How about you get a place somewhere on a busy road, and each being who goes buy has just a bit of they're soul stolen - this would allow that being to still go into whatever afterlife, and you get a but of soul energy.
2. You make deals with people, appeal to their greed, and give them something(gold?) in exchange for when they die, you get to harvest the being's soul-energy, leaving just enough to let them get into an afterlife.
3. Make a deal with local law-enforcement, so that, instead of the worst punishment being death, the worst punishment is death and having your soul taken. Perhaps there might also be a few people who have been so bad in life that they would volunteer to have their soul's eaten to prevent them going to hell(Literally).
4. How about, instead of eating souls at all, every three or so thousand years, you take one horrible criminal, steal his/her soul out, cubifi the body, and then transfer your own soul into that body, therefor allowing you to get past the three-thousand mark without needing more than one being every three thousand years.
5. (This one is sorts shaky in its logic)Perhaps you, as a being, could subscribe to have your soul preserved for a long long time after your death: You would wear some sort of magical amulet or something which, upon your death, would both take your entire soul, and send out a signal to the 'Cubi running this enterprise. The 'Cubi would then come, take the amulet, and transfer the soul into a stone, minus the energy, which is what the 'Cubi would get out of it. Perhaps these stones could be put in a 'library', and, someone wanting the knowledge this person had would touch the stone, which would temporarily revive the person's soul, long enough to tell the person wanting the knowledge the information he or she seeks.
Of course, if soul-energy replenishes itself over time, you could simply pay people for a portion of they're soul energy(somewhat like a blood-bank). Heck, with this, as gold is very simple to make, you could become a tri-winger easily, and people wouldn't be attempting to kill you for it.
Also, at the very least, I dont see any reason why someone would *not* want to be a 'Cubi if they had the opportunity - You get wings, the ability to morph, a 3000+ year lifespan, no need(though you still have the ability if you want) to eat food, several wing-tentacles which can be used for extra arms... Cool!

Soul-stealing wise, can it be done via a free-standing spell? Perhaps with enough power,you have a trap-spell that steals the soul of anyone unlucky enough to walk through a particular area...

*comment* If a species has free will, it by definition cannot be 'evil'.You can say that most, or even all members of the species make 'evil' choices, but by the very nature of free-will, no species with true free will is 'evil', or even 'good'.

I wonder... How would Creatures with feathery wings keep them clean? It would seem to me quite a pain to keep the feathers from ripping out if you went too close to a branch or something, not to mention the fact that they would pick up dust and dirt, or, in a forest environment, twigs and sap.
Speaking of that, what about when a winged Creature is asleep? if you have a Creature with wings that tosses and turns when he/she sleeps, or even sleeping on his/her side, that could be a bit of a problem.
It might be a little less problem for 'Cubi(as they can morph them away). Bat-wings might also be easier to work with as there is less gaps to rip, and it would seem to be more flexible.
Speaking of that, even fur, unless it was quite short, could also be a problem to keep clean.

Hm... How precise can wing-tentacles be, with practice? How thin could you make them - a few molecules thick, or what? Also, could one be made hard enough to be used as a screwdriver?

Can Warp-aci reproduce in this plane?

This is weird: How can Mab be over a thousand years old, yet be the same approximate age as Dan as shown Here(panel 2). Does time move at a different speed in the Fae realm, or was Mab over a thousand years old in the previously mentioned panel, and just playing a young child?

You know, most of the problems with all these theorys is that theres not nearly enough information to support or invalidate them. I would love to see a good long addition to the demonology section of the website so we can figure out some of this stuff(Though, I doubt this will happen any time soon, or at all).

I wonder - in comic #448 it says that 'Cubi set up a mental shield to prevent emotion-overload. Could a 'Cubi with proper skills, instead of simply reflecting the extra energy, convert and shunt it into whatever and wherever soul energy goes? So, if you were in a place with a huge amount of emotion, you could live longer without stealing any souls, by simply using extra emotion energy for that purpose.

Note that this all just muse, and its not all that well put together, but meh.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Most of the early sections are incorrect, but I'm not going to bother to specify. Your assumptions are slightly skew-iffy, Robbie. However, it's late, so I'll come back later and correct the bits that I've missed, ok? ;-]

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on September 17, 2007, 07:32:14 PM

Amber has said: No.

This is weird: How can Mab be over a thousand years old, yet be the same approximate age as Dan as shown Here(panel 2). Does time move at a different speed in the Fae realm, or was Mab over a thousand years old in the previously mentioned panel, and just playing a young child?

Mab doesn't have to be young. She just has to -look- young. Given she's capable of -lots- of magic, she should find it relatively easy to morph herself into a form young enough to play with Dan, and keep it more or less in equal size.

Of course, one wonders how she deals with the difference in mindset between adult and child (and also those -interesting- years when Dan is going through puberty) - but then, Mab is fairly childlike even now, so maybe that's a bit of a moot point. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Since 'Cubi are - according to the DMFA calendar -  energy feeders, I think the way to go is to generate artificial souls, as in my Future History series (and indeed, the song hints at it).

"From the power that the total-conversion engines provide, I can create an energy field which an incubus or succubus can absorb as if it was a soul.  It is non-sentient of course, and indeed it isn't really a soul at all, but it is sufficiently similar for us to be able to consume by the usual techniques.  I have also made projectors that generate artificial emotional fields as well."

I must admit, the free-standing soul trap is a fascinating idea.  I'm not sure how practical it would be in terms of retrieving the soul energy, but even if it just ripped the soul from your body it would make one heck of a weapon.  I'm not saying I like it but it's intriguing.  I think you've hit on something even nastier than the soul-stealing bullet, which I almost junked on the grounds that it was too dark.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

oh, I think we can come up with worse things than that.

As a starter for ten, how about something like your soul-stealing bullet that, instead of attaching the soul to the bullet, instead nails it to the local scenery. Or tears it in two, although that's rather wasteful.

I'm probably not the right person to be designing such things, though, I suspect...

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 17, 2007, 07:44:03 PM
Most of the early sections are incorrect, but I'm not going to bother to specify. Your assumptions are slightly skew-iffy, Robbie. However, it's late, so I'll come back later and correct the bits that I've missed, ok? ;-]

Amber has said: No.

Mab doesn't have to be young. She just has to -look- young. Given she's capable of -lots- of magic, she should find it relatively easy to morph herself into a form young enough to play with Dan, and keep it more or less in equal size.

Of course, one wonders how she deals with the difference in mindset between adult and child (and also those -interesting- years when Dan is going through puberty) - but then, Mab is fairly childlike even now, so maybe that's a bit of a moot point. ;-]

Yea, I figured as much, but I wasn't sure, considering the mindset difference. :P

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 17, 2007, 08:04:18 PM
Since 'Cubi are - according to the DMFA calendar -  energy feeders, I think the way to go is to generate artificial souls, as in my Future History series (and indeed, the song hints at it).

"From the power that the total-conversion engines provide, I can create an energy field which an incubus or succubus can absorb as if it was a soul.  It is non-sentient of course, and indeed it isn't really a soul at all, but it is sufficiently similar for us to be able to consume by the usual techniques.  I have also made projectors that generate artificial emotional fields as well."

I must admit, the free-standing soul trap is a fascinating idea.  I'm not sure how practical it would be in terms of retrieving the soul energy, but even if it just ripped the soul from your body it would make one heck of a weapon.  I'm not saying I like it but it's intriguing.  I think you've hit on something even nastier than the soul-stealing bullet, which I almost junked on the grounds that it was too dark.
Yea, I read your stories, they are great!
Of course, the main thing I am wondering, is, if you are a powerful enough 'Cubi, could you do this *without* needing an external machine.

The main point of the alternate methods of soul stealing, is because I have seen a couple forum posts talking about how evil 'Cubi are because they eat souls, and so I was thinking: If I was a 'Cubi, how could I gain energy without getting the townspeople angry(as that can sometimes cause you to have your life shortened greatly  ;) ).

Im back off for a while, until I find yet another free wireless connection to leech.

edit: DMFA calender? Whats that? If possible, Could I have a copy/link to it?

-RobbieThe1st

Alondro

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 17, 2007, 08:18:32 PM
oh, I think we can come up with worse things than that.

As a starter for ten, how about something like your soul-stealing bullet that, instead of attaching the soul to the bullet, instead nails it to the local scenery. Or tears it in two, although that's rather wasteful.

I'm probably not the right person to be designing such things, though, I suspect...

The soul-stealing bullet sounds kinda like those high-level Caster shells from Outlaw Star.  Especially that one that fired the little black sphere that sucked the enemy into it. 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tapewolf

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on September 18, 2007, 01:28:05 PM
Yea, I read your stories, they are great!
Of course, the main thing I am wondering, is, if you are a powerful enough 'Cubi, could you do this *without* needing an external machine.
That's not for me to guess :P

QuoteThe main point of the alternate methods of soul stealing, is because I have seen a couple forum posts talking about how evil 'Cubi are because they eat souls, and so I was thinking: If I was a 'Cubi, how could I gain energy without getting the townspeople angry(as that can sometimes cause you to have your life shortened greatly  ;) ).

That's really one of the things that prompted Future History.  Jakob reaches a thousand and starts to go through some kind of one-third-life-crisis, which makes him start to get really interested in ways of prolonging life without harming others.

Now, Amber once mentioned that out of the approximately 200 tri-wings there have ever been, about two managed to ascend themselves without soul-eating.

Quoteedit: DMFA calender? Whats that? If possible, Could I have a copy/link to it?

The DMFA calendar was destroyed in the disk crash.  Low-res copies of all the months are still extant, and apparently there were some prints made and bought by people who went to AC06.  I'd probably pay some irresponsible sum of money for one of those, but I doubt I'd ever find a seller :P

http://www.missmab.com/graphics/C_October.jpg

llearch n'n'daCorna

The main point of the alternate methods of soul stealing, is because I have seen a couple forum posts talking about how evil 'Cubi are because they eat souls, and so I was thinking: If I was a 'Cubi, how could I gain energy without getting the townspeople angry(as that can sometimes cause you to have your life shortened greatly  ;) ).

The eleventh commandment.

"Don't let them catch you at it."

edit: DMFA calender? Whats that? If possible, Could I have a copy/link to it?

Amber made a calendar back a bit, now. It sold out rapidly, she didn't re-print it, and you had to actually be at AC to get one. Since I, for one, would be happy to pay postage to wherever I was in the world, I think the issue was that Amber had to -organise- postage, which would have been troublesome. Since she has (and had) enough troubles keeping up with the comic (and I don't blame her, it's a hell of a load to keep making the strips every other day) she decided not to take up the extra trouble. *sigh* And so all us overseas people lost out. Oh, well. Such is life.

And then, as Tape says, the disk crash ate all the artwork. So all we have left are the previews that she posted to her site for us.

All clear, now?

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 18, 2007, 02:17:00 PM
The DMFA calendar was destroyed in the disk crash.  Low-res copies of all the months are still extant, and apparently there were some prints made and bought by people who went to AC06.  I'd probably pay some irresponsible sum of money for one of those, but I doubt I'd ever find a seller :P

http://www.missmab.com/graphics/C_October.jpg

Great, Thank You for the link!
Hm, it seems that September is missing, however the rest of the months are there.
Also, are there any more interesting things around on the website that I am missing?
If there is, could I please have links? Thanks.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 18, 2007, 02:22:58 PM

The eleventh commandment.

"Don't let them catch you at it."
Yea, thats good advice, but I like the idea of convincing people that what you are doing is for their benefit, and so they will hail you for what you do,and then, even less worry about being strung up for it! :P

-RobbieThe1st on yet another flaky wireless internet connection

Tapewolf

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on September 18, 2007, 02:59:34 PM
Hm, it seems that September is missing, however the rest of the months are there.
Also, are there any more interesting things around on the website that I am missing?

http://www.missmab.com/graphics/C_Septermber.jpg  (sic)

Here's another interesting thing from the website... I can't think of any more offhand.

http://www.mabsland.com/ArtGroup/Fighter.jpg

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 18, 2007, 03:08:01 PM
Quote from: RobbieThe1st on September 18, 2007, 02:59:34 PM

http://www.missmab.com/graphics/C_Septermber.jpg  (sic)

Here's another interesting thing from the website... I can't think of any more offhand.

http://www.mabsland.com/ArtGroup/Fighter.jpg
Thanks. It seems that my problem was simply that I was spelling in English and not in Mablish. :P
Well, if you do remember anything else interesting, let me know.

You know, I am thinking perhaps I should make a new page in the Wiki with all these links, for others who, like me, are looking for non-linked stuff(that is, if you haven't already done it - I haven't been to the Wiki for a while).

edit:
Relating to some of the stuff I posted in the first post, I am surprised noone seems to have noticed the part I posted on cleanliness of fur, feathers, and such... I figured a few people at least would notice that.

-RobbieThe1st (still hanging in there, for now)

Tapewolf

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on September 18, 2007, 03:27:59 PM
Relating to some of the stuff I posted in the first post, I am surprised noone seems to have noticed the part I posted on cleanliness of fur, feathers, and such... I figured a few people at least would notice that.

Yeah, I didn't really have much to add.  Preening is going to be rather difficult.  However, wings being related to magic, perhaps they're self-cleaning.
And of course, they don't have to be kept flight-capable...

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 18, 2007, 04:04:55 PM
Unless you're Dan and you see something insanely high to jump off of while flapping like crazy...
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: SpottedKitty on September 18, 2007, 05:05:36 PM
Unless you're Dan and you see something insanely high to jump off of while flapping like crazy...

That's still not flight-capable. That's just falling capable, which is a totally different state... ;-]

Zedd

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 18, 2007, 05:30:47 PM

That's still not flight-capable. That's just falling capable, which is a totally different state... ;-]
And falling hurts!

DarkAudit

Quote from: Zedd on September 18, 2007, 06:23:04 PM

And falling hurts!

It's not the fall, it's the sudden stop at the end.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

SpottedKitty

Quote from: DarkAudit on September 18, 2007, 07:50:33 PM
Quote from: Zedd on September 18, 2007, 06:23:04 PM
And falling hurts!
It's not the fall, it's the sudden stop at the end.
Unless you've had the foresight to hire someone to distract you at the last moment, so that you totally miss hitting the ground...   ;)
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Naldru

But with a little practice, you'll be falling with style.

(google "falling with style" for source)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Goatmon

Quote from: Naldru on September 18, 2007, 09:35:56 PM

Do you actually value the opinion of someone who doesn't understand that reference?   :erk

Turnsky

flight is still falling, you just miss everything that's solid..

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Naldru

Quote from: Goatmon on September 22, 2007, 10:07:26 AM
Quote from: Naldru on September 18, 2007, 09:35:56 PM

Do you actually value the opinion of someone who doesn't understand that reference?   :erk

I value everybody's opinion.  Some as a source of information, and some as a source of amusement.

I have also found that things people say don't need to be said because they are so obvious are generally the things that most need to be said. 
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Turnsky on September 22, 2007, 02:30:40 PM
flight is still falling, you just miss everything that's solid..

Falling sideways, then?

Distracting

Zedd

Zedd

Now not to really double post on this thread but their is a few questions dear Amber can only answer or a very Lurkish person

1. Does Dan wear boots,shoes,sneakers or any kind of footwear?
2. If you can answer the first question..provide any pictures please?
3. And lastey this question is only for you Amber....Do you like surpizes?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Zedd on September 24, 2007, 06:47:50 PM

Dan normally wears brown shoes.  This may have changed since he returned from SAIA (new outfit) but for most of the strip they are brown.

AndersW

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 24, 2007, 07:20:45 PM
Quote from: Zedd on September 24, 2007, 06:47:50 PM

Dan normally wears brown shoes.  This may have changed since he returned from SAIA (new outfit) but for most of the strip they are brown.

they are currently brown.

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_807.php

Zedd

Thanks,...Now I hope Amber can answer the last question

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Zedd on September 24, 2007, 10:36:56 PM
Thanks,...Now I hope Amber can answer the last question

She might be more interested in surprises. ;-]