Bioshock

Started by Ryudo Lee, August 20, 2007, 05:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryudo Lee

So... who's got this one preordered?  I'm picking up my roomie's preordered copy from GameStop tomorrow and I'm getting my own preordered copy downloaded from Steam tomorrow.

I'm a little disappointed that they're not gonna follow the System Shock storyline, but after seeing all the reviews and videos, I think that this is gonna be one very interesting game. 

Discuss?

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Turnsky

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 20, 2007, 05:15:47 PM
So... who's got this one preordered?  I'm picking up my roomie's preordered copy from GameStop tomorrow and I'm getting my own preordered copy downloaded from Steam tomorrow.

I'm a little disappointed that they're not gonna follow the System Shock storyline, but after seeing all the reviews and videos, I think that this is gonna be one very interesting game. 

Discuss?

Eidos still owns the rights to system shock i think, Irrational dev'd SS2 in lieu of looking glass. however, it's still the spiritual successor to system shock.. i've played the demo on Xbox live, and it's wonderful to say the least.  :3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

superluser

It looks insanely good, but I don't have an Xbox360 or Windows, and I'm not planning to shell out hundreds of dollars to get it.   :<

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

I must admit I totally lost interest when I found it wasn't part of the System Shock series :(
Oblivion is going to be my next game, I think.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

bill

i r getting.

Since my laptop won't run it well, I'm getting the 360 version. Should be fun, from what I've heard.

Amber Williams

I dont really care for scary games, nor do I have an Xbox 360...but I confess after watching the demo and seeing the amount of work they put into the game, it is a game that would be very tempting if I wasnt a wimpy chicken heart.  I'll likely get it for a friend and make him play it while I watch hiding behind a pillow fortress.

I'm curious about how in depth their claims are when it comes to interactivity and the diversity one can achieve when dealing with the environment and the AI.  Outside of that, it does seem like a game hat should be able to stand on its own legs.

llearch n'n'daCorna

pillow fortress FTW. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 21, 2007, 02:50:08 PM
Outside of that, it does seem like a game hat should be able to stand on its own legs.
Well, here's hoping they get it right this time.  System Shock 1 and 2 were both critically-acclaimed and extremely well-thought out, and a rule, most people who played them for more than a few minutes rated them very highly.  Unfortunately they didn't really sell.   :rolleyes

It has been said that one reason for System Shock's failure was because it was released at the same time as a game called 'Creature Shock', which sucked, and people got them confused :P
The control system was a bit weird, mind you.  Incredibly flexible, though.

bill

Another reason that System Shock didn't sell was that it was released around the same time that some game called "Doom II" was released. :P

The failure of System Shock 2 to sell was odd, though. By then, SS had already been established as an underrated classic.

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 21, 2007, 05:05:40 AM
I must admit I totally lost interest when I found it wasn't part of the System Shock series :(

After playing it for awhile (damn Steam, first it wouldn't recognize that it had been released and then took another two hours to complete the preload, so I'm going off of 3 hours of playtime here) I've come to the conclusion that you can forget about being disappointed at the lack of SHODAN.  Without spoiling too much, the only thing in this game that can be considered lame in any way is the hacking dialogue, which looks more like a game of Pipe Dream than anything else.  Other than that, this is a truly awesome game.  It's very deep, it's very scary, and if you've got any psychological background, the characters will more than impress you.  I am loving this game.

Tapewolf

Yes, I think you've already convinced me to try it, if it can be patched to work under W2K.

Zedd

This game is gonna make me think..ALot

Paladin Sheppard

Ok Demo = win

Waiting till Friday to get my collectors ed = painful

I want my full game damnit :3

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 21, 2007, 03:09:00 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on August 21, 2007, 02:50:08 PM
Outside of that, it does seem like a game hat should be able to stand on its own legs.
Well, here's hoping they get it right this time.  System Shock 1 and 2 were both critically-acclaimed and extremely well-thought out, and a rule, most people who played them for more than a few minutes rated them very highly.  Unfortunately they didn't really sell.   :rolleyes

It has been said that one reason for System Shock's failure was because it was released at the same time as a game called 'Creature Shock', which sucked, and people got them confused :P
The control system was a bit weird, mind you.  Incredibly flexible, though.

Both Bioshock and System shock 2 were made by irrational, so they do have a good pedigree

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on August 22, 2007, 07:54:15 AM
Both Bioshock and System shock 2 were made by irrational, so they do have a good pedigree

No Warren Spector, though :(
He was a key part of the brains behind System Shock, Deus Ex, Ultima 7 and Serpent Isle.  SS2 did well enough without him, mind.

I still say the guy in System Shock is an incubus.  Doesn't eat, doesn't sleep and he can throw switches thirteen feet away (with his wing-tentacles?).  He can fall any distance without getting hurt like he's got wings to glide with and if you look down, he has no feet which is just what you'd expect if you were poking a tentacle head in front of you as an advance guard >:3

Now about the demo in W2K.  This is from Slashdot:
http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=275107&cid=20301655

I've been working on getting it run under win2k for a while now:

'Release' folder == Progra~1\Steam\steamapps\common\bioshock demo\Builds\Release

1. dbghelp.dll must be downloaded from 'dll download sites' on the internet and dropped into 'Release'

2. You must hex edit xinput1_3.dll in 'Release' and replace the String 'TraceMessage' with 'GetUserNameA'. It simply forces the debug messages to be dropped on the ground, I think anyways.

Zedd

Well I do hope see a demo where I can test my ablitys on those Big Daddies

Ryudo Lee

Those Big Daddies will give you a run for your money, especially the ones with the rivet guns.  They move slow, but man do they hit hard.

Turnsky

llearch n'n'daCorna

Is it wrong that I spent my time trying to figure out what was going on on the PC in the background?
... and recognised it as IRC?
... and recognised enough to identify that it wasn't -my- channel?

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 23, 2007, 10:00:50 AM
Is it wrong that I spent my time trying to figure out what was going on on the PC in the background?
Perhaps.  At first I thought it was a linux boot screen :P

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 23, 2007, 10:00:50 AM
... and recognised it as IRC?
... and recognised enough to identify that it wasn't -my- channel?

perhaps, it's comicgen's IRC channel, by the way.. =p my client's configured to have white text on black background, less eye strain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

#keenspace on esper.net?

Ah, yet another network. I hope you won't take it amiss if I don't go there -just- now... ;-]

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 23, 2007, 10:42:28 AM
#keenspace on esper.net?

Ah, yet another network. I hope you won't take it amiss if I don't go there -just- now... ;-]

pretty much, and nah, just a bunch of webcomickers on there, nothing too much of interest goes on, 'cept when somebody logs on drunk

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Turnsky on August 23, 2007, 10:52:12 AM
nothing too much of interest goes on, 'cept when somebody logs on drunk

I've done that before.  I also reviewed my eBay winnings while drunk.  Reading a computer screen isn't very easy when you're suffering from alcohol induced tunnel vision.

bill

I just got the 360 version of the game.

It seems to be a bit of a rehash of System Shock 2 so far, but it's oh so pretty. And since SS2 is great, a rehash of SS2 = also great.

The game isn't really scary, so much as creepy. Like the SS series, they're not going for the *SUDDEN MONSTER OMG* type scares, they're going for the "Oh god everyone is coming after me what do I do" scares. Which is nice.

Ryudo Lee

Looks like we're not the only ones who like it.  Reviews are starting to come in, and they're good.
http://www.dailygame.net/news/archives/006521.php
It think that says it all.

Turnsky

i have it, and i haveta say, even the presentation was nice, came in a nice tin DVD case, looked very nice... until i started to actually play it..

Pure awesome.

Tapewolf

I've heard bad things about the copy protection system.  Like it has to be activated online in order to run.  (And damages the Windows installation in rootkit-like ways, but that's another story).

This makes me sad, not only because it means I won't be able to play it, but also because no-one will be able to play it in the future.  There are games like the original System Shock and the Ultima series which are still damn good games 15 years later.  I for one do not seriously think that the activation server is still going to be running 15 years from now.

I'm probably going to buy this thing.  I have the Morrowind expansions and Oblivion to get through first... with luck someone will have cracked it by the time I get around to playing it.

Turnsky

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 21, 2007, 09:26:28 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 21, 2007, 05:05:40 AM

After playing it for awhile (damn Steam, first it wouldn't recognize that it had been released and then took another two hours to complete the preload, so I'm going off of 3 hours of playtime here) I've come to the conclusion that you can forget about being disappointed at the lack of SHODAN.  Without spoiling too much, the only thing in this game that can be considered lame in any way is the hacking dialogue, which looks more like a game of Pipe Dream than anything else.  Other than that, this is a truly awesome game.  It's very deep, it's very scary, and if you've got any psychological background, the characters will more than impress you.  I am loving this game.

yes, would you kindly not spoil it for the other folks.  >:3

bill

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 25, 2007, 03:17:32 AM
I've heard bad things about the copy protection system.  Like it has to be activated online in order to run.  (And damages the Windows installation in rootkit-like ways, but that's another story).

This makes me sad, not only because it means I won't be able to play it, but also because no-one will be able to play it in the future.  There are games like the original System Shock and the Ultima series which are still damn good games 15 years later.  I for one do not seriously think that the activation server is still going to be running 15 years from now.

I'm probably going to buy this thing.  I have the Morrowind expansions and Oblivion to get through first... with luck someone will have cracked it by the time I get around to playing it.
Doesn't it just use the normal Steam installation system?