Happy Birthday, Red. :D

Started by Ted Schiller, August 13, 2007, 02:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 14, 2007, 09:48:04 PM
I can't get this thing to work :<
On my one computer, the file seems corrupted; it won't open. On my other computer, it doesn't even recognize it.
Any suggestions? I wanna see what this is!

http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/tech/eta/doc/dilbert.gif
( No, that's not what it is.  I'm just being snarky :P )

If you have access to a proper UNIX workstation - a Mac will do - run the following from the BASH prompt (using wget to get the file was a good idea, SL!):

wget http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/stuff/ted.tar.gz
gzip -dc ted.tar.gz | tar tvf -

...I have to do it that way on Windows because the TAR/GZIP pair I use on it are slightly broken.
On a modern UNIX, you should just be able to use:

tar xvfz ted.tar.gz

Or, you could do it in two stages as SL did.  I think he may have got the tar and gzip stages the wrong way round, though :P

Or, you could just get some decent archiving software.  Winzip will work, so will WinRAR.

Alternatively complain to Microsoft for not supporting this standard.  I could tell you of course, but to be honest I'm getting kind of curious as to how many people will actually be able to open it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Netrogo

I just opened it with winace, no problems at all.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 15, 2007, 04:43:25 AMOr, you could do it in two stages as SL did.  I think he may have got the tar and gzip stages the wrong way round, though :P

Oh, that's embarrassing.  Of course, unless your tar is very broken, I don't think that tar tvf will extract anything.

Here's gzip for Windows.  If you want to try the googolplex, you'll have to use this version, since the file will rapidly become larger than 4GB.

Here's GNU tar for Windows.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?