Natural Selection or Greatest Game Ever?

Started by Netami, June 22, 2007, 02:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netami

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=861592007

Basically, kids keep dying in France because they play this retarded game called the "Scarf Game."

So how do you play this magical game? First, you get some friends. Then, you bend over and take several short breaths. Then, you stand up, dizzy, and take one large breath and then have a friend squeeze your neck until you pass out. The result is a euphoric state where you hallucinate!

Or you die.

Please tell me no one played games like this when they were 7-12 years old. How the hell did someone come up with this game, anyways?

bill

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

techmaster-glitch

I've heard of this kind of thing before. Except what I read is that the kids in america use actual scarves like nooses. And they do it by themselves.
And yes, the genreal age for this kind of thing is 7-12.

Ryudo Lee

I was monopolizing my brother's NES during that time.

This isn't really the first bad thing I've heard of.  I had read an article about teenagers who were inhaling air from those canned air dusters.  It's deadly because it's full of heavy gasses.  I'll see if I can locate an article on that.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Zedd

And who was watching those kids at the moment

Netami

I recall the article. A police officer's son died of it and he was so distraught because he was in the drug unit; he'd have his K9 drug detecting dog over all the time and preach about this drug and that drug and in the end, the kid died from it and there's no way the dog could have ever known that a can of air could be used in such a way. The cop thought he did everything right in preventing his kid from using drugs, but all he did was sequester the kid to strange alternatives.

Kids, though, I swear to god.

bill

Zedd

Faerie Alex

:wtf
Seriously, kids strangling themselves for fun? Who comes up with something like that? This may be one of the single most idiotic things I've read today. Perhaps, to answer the title, it is in fact natural selection. Because I sure as heck don't see any other reason for it.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

rabid_fox

Quote from: BillBuckner on June 22, 2007, 04:53:43 PM
Newsflash: Kids are stupid.

Nope. That's like saying "All people are rapists" because there are some rapists around.

Oh dear.

Netrogo

Quote from: BillBuckner on June 22, 2007, 04:53:43 PM
Newsflash: Kids are stupid.

...and in other news scietists recent reveal that water is, in fact, wet.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Zedd

Netrogo

In all honesty though, I totally approve of games like this. Anyone stupid enough to play them deserves a freaking Darwin Award. Atleast by playing this game and dying they're removing that taint from the gene pool.

Feroluce

thats just... seriously wrong. >< I know I never played those games. who came up with that idea anyway? they can't have liked kids much.

techmaster-glitch

Actually, kids invent these games themselves

Netami

It's sad because this is just like um... what's it called, when you masturbate and you cut off your air-intake, thus prolonging the amount of time it takes for your body to react and, in turn, making the pleasure of orgasm greater.

Auto-erotic asphixiation, that's it. People die from that all the time, and this is pretty much the same thing. I wonder if they grow up to do that too.  :/

superluser

Quote from: BillBuckner on June 22, 2007, 02:57:13 PM*braces for onslaught of France jokes*

Can we make French jokes?

I thought we weren't allowed, due to the no discrimination rule.  Please say we're allowed to make fun of the French.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

bill

techmaster-glitch

Valynth

Tech...  I'll lock you in a room with a person from France for two minutes.  You'll come around to our side very fast.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Faerie Alex

Quote from: BillBuckner on June 22, 2007, 07:37:34 PM
Making fun of the French is OK.
Hey now, I'm French. My family's lived in the US for a long time (generations), but we still came from France.

...So just don't bash the old French. The current French...eh, go ahead and make fun of them.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Netrogo

I'm half French Canadian. But that's from Quebec so we're pretty hated by France too.

Alondro

Quote from: modelincard on June 22, 2007, 05:01:51 PM
Seriously, kids strangling themselves for fun? Who comes up with something like that?

The French.

:mwaha

My family on one side is French.  They used to be rich.  They got drunk a lot and were incredibly gullible and stupid.  Now they're poor, and I am poor as well because of them.  The other side of the family were all poor German-Italians, so at least they didn't have anything to lose.   :P

The French is teh suxx0rs.   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Kryptic

Ah - But if they were Irish, they'd be even more drunk.

And they'd have a better accent and be hilarious at parties. So you win some, you lose some.

My background is Danish/Isle of Man(ish?) with a pinch of Irish thrown in. The best my history could be known for is pastries and tail-less cats.

Some part of me wonders if there's a high proportion of Emo French Kids...

RJ

Quote from: Netrogo on June 22, 2007, 05:52:11 PM
In all honesty though, I totally approve of games like this. Anyone stupid enough to play them deserves a freaking Darwin Award. Atleast by playing this game and dying they're removing that taint from the gene pool.

Only problem with that is if they're minors, they're disqualified from receiving one. Bummer.  :<

And I thought the 'Fuzzy Bunny' game with the marshmallows was stupid...

Brunhidden

I wonder how long this 'game' has gone on really, my wife, a good deal older then me, remembers a 'fainting game' of pretty much the same thing. You have to ask yourself who started this, cause you know it was some numbnutz who had an accident, almost died, and then decided it was fun and should tell everyone they know to try it out.

QuoteIn waking a tiger, use a long stick.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

superluser

Quote from: BillBuckner on June 22, 2007, 07:37:34 PMMaking fun of the French is OK.

Yay!  I remember the topic of the French anime where they didn't have noses.  Someone asked how they smelled, and the proper answer would have been ``Well, they're French, right?''  But I didn't know if I could make that joke.

Quote from: RJ on June 23, 2007, 12:44:16 AMOnly problem with that is if they're minors, they're disqualified from receiving one. Bummer.  :<

You can still be removed from the gene pool if you're a minor.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Kasarn

Kids just wanna get high but THE MAN took their magic markers away :[

Brunhidden

Quote from: Kasarn on June 23, 2007, 12:58:59 AM
Kids just wanna get high but THE MAN took their magic markers away :[

don't forget the cough syrup. but really, if kids are so desperate that theyre going to use a chemistry set to turn robatussin into a potent drug....they will be willing to use any number of household cleaners instead if you put the cough syrup behind the counter.

what i really think is dumb is that the news programs telling everyone about the scarf game, fainting game, asphyxiation jerk, and the cough syrup crack... all its doing is teaching some of the losers out there new games they hadn't thought of- its like back in the terror scare where all the news anchors were screaming if the terrorists put a bomb here and there they would kill us all extremely easily and theres nothing we can do so heres a map and a list of supplies you will need.

QuoteIt does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.