Oh God I Must Have This. (CALCULATORZ)

Started by bill, May 29, 2007, 07:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill

I can't believe it. HP finally released a calculator that doesn't look like crap. Hell, this one is beautiful.

It even has the large enter key!  :U

superluser

Quote from: BillBuckner on May 29, 2007, 07:34:03 PMI can't believe it. HP finally released a calculator that doesn't look like crap. Hell, this one is beautiful.

What makes this one more beautiful, in your eyes, than the 22S or the 48GX?

I've always been struck by the sleek functionality of all HP's calculators (except the 28C/S, which looks like a toy).

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

bill

Actually, I have a 28s, and it's one of my favorites. The old 48 series were also good looking, though I always thought the key labeling looked a bit busy.

When I say "looking like crap", I mean the recent tragedies like the 33S, and the 30S.

Still doesn't beat my 41CV, though.

Netami

This is the Plaid shirt of calculators...

bill

superluser

Quote from: BillBuckner on May 29, 2007, 08:30:59 PMThe old 48 series were also good looking, though I always thought the key labeling looked a bit busy.

It did more than look busy.  It was busy.  There were two shift keys and an alpha key.  Some of the buttons had four functions.  But it still looks sexy.

Still, when it comes to looking like crap, no HP calculator could ever look worse than a TI.  The 30S could tie, though.

bill

Actually, the winner of the busyness competition would have to be the HP67. Three shift keys, all for functions. Plus a motorized card reader.

Aridas

my calculator has one shift key and tons of keys :<

Ryudo Lee

I'm still using my old TI-85 that I had gotten to use in high-school.  They required the 82's but I was just different like that.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Netrogo

Oh. Wow. I've done some of the geekiest things imaginable. Gone to great lenghts to prove how much of a geek I really am. Yet I see this thread and suddenly I feel like that jock in high school. I just wanna point and cry 'Neeeeerrrddss!!!' or something. :mwaha Not that I'm trying to flame or anything, s'just the first time I've seen something where I feel like the guy looking at the geeks and laughing.

As to the subject at hand. Remember those calculators from back in the day that had absoluetly no scientific functions. Just add, subtract, multiply, and divide. As well as those couple of memory keys. I have one of those. I'm pretty sure it cost me a dollar.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

superluser

Quote from: Netrogo on May 30, 2007, 09:17:31 AMAs to the subject at hand. Remember those calculators from back in the day that had absoluetly no scientific functions. Just add, subtract, multiply, and divide. As well as those couple of memory keys. I have one of those. I'm pretty sure it cost me a dollar.

Not $119.95?

As to geek envy, I've taken exams with a slide rule or wheel, and I've got an 8' slide rule in storage somewhere.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I missed out on actually learning how to calculate on a slide rule.

If anyone has any instructions somewhere, I'd be interested...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alan Garou

Quote from: BillBuckner on May 29, 2007, 07:34:03 PM

I can't believe it. HP finally released a calculator that doesn't look like crap. Hell, this one is beautiful.

It even has the large enter key!  :U
I'm not really offended, but I have a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition, and I think it looks awesome. You can get custom covers, keyboard plates, and everything. But I will admit, that does look pretty awesome.

bill

The TI Graphers are actually rather well made. I have an 89 Titanium as a backup for my HP49g+ myself.

The thing is, nobody makes good scientific calculators these days, because they're cheaper. Back in the 70s, a scientific pocket calculator cost a lot, so they were MUCH more well made.

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 30, 2007, 10:54:33 AMI missed out on actually learning how to calculate on a slide rule.

If anyone has any instructions somewhere, I'd be interested...

You can find instructions online in a bunch of places.  Slide rules/wheels usually come with instructions.  I'd recommend going with a slide wheel, since that drives home the point that the mantissa remains the same no matter how large the characteristic gets.  Plus you don't have to worry about performing calculations with the slide all the way out.

It's not that difficult, and if you understand how math works, you'll understand how a slide rule works.  Conversely, if you learn how a slide rule works, you'll understand math better.