Starcraft 2

Started by fakelike, May 19, 2007, 02:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fakelike

Manawolf

Response: ABOUT ****ING TIME!

Gornemant

10 years, about as bad as Duke Nukem Forever, but at least there's something even if it's just beta  :3

Reese Tora

Quote from: Gornemant on May 19, 2007, 04:22:07 AM
10 years, about as bad as Duke Nukem Forever, but at least there's something even if it's just beta  :3

The difference here being that they havn't been saying "Oh, it's in development, just a little longer!" for all those ten years.

Blizzard's got three properties that are really valuable:
WarCraft
Diablo
and
StarCraft. 

They've just about milked out Warcraft, and Diablo is pretty much done.  It's about time they went back to StarCraft. :3

I's gots sudden urge to reinstall Starcraft & Broodwars and kick me some zergligs. >:3
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Gornemant

Quote from: Reese Tora on May 19, 2007, 04:32:12 AM
I's gots sudden urge to reinstall Starcraft & Broodwars and kick me some zergligs. >:3
yes yes, you do that. Want a little multiplayer game? :3

Reese Tora

Not right now, it's almost 2am, and I havn't played in years anyway.
(and I expect my computer to crash in the middle of any game I play... need to get a new motherboard)

Maybe I'll find time for you to crush me some time this weekend, though. ;)

Arcalane

Also see the main Blizzard site.

Subtitled; "Hell, it's about time." :B

http://www.blizzard.com/

http://www.starcraft2.com/

Gornemant

Quote from: Reese Tora on May 19, 2007, 04:50:25 AM
Not right now, it's almost 2am, and I havn't played in years anyway.
(and I expect my computer to crash in the middle of any game I play... need to get a new motherboard)

Maybe I'll find time for you to crush me some time this weekend, though. ;)
yah, I know, I prefer staying out in the sun today myself, just meant for later purpose.
And don't worry about the few years, I'll be gentle, ask Sheridan  :3

King Of Hearts

Heh. and here I was expecting a WoW expansion.

just saw the movie, what's the Korean text mean?

Gornemant

Quote from: King Of Hearts on May 19, 2007, 05:52:32 AM
just saw the movie, what's the Korean text mean?
Active, so it seems. English version on starcraft 2 website, and better quality

King Of Hearts

I thought the guy was that guy from the first game... apparently its just some nameless  marine. Nice designs... if not a bit complicated.

Stygian

MUST... HAVE!

Just my two cents. I'm probably just going to keep playing Zerg, unless we see some completely new race that's even darker... which we probably won't. Still, I really like the new Terran look. Shows that the Blizz guys might have been playing some id soft stuff at home... >:3

Boog

NICE! Allow me to add my "took 'em long enough" to the pile. Looks like it was worth the wait though. Seems like they've added a new race; I don't recall "blue glowey things" being an option before.

Arcalane

No, I think that's just the Protoss getting glowy, presumably because Protoss stuff is supposed to be blue and glowy, but the old Starcraft engine couldn't handle glowy, so they may have only had the ability to make it glowy with the new engine. :words: :B

Aridas

Quote from: Sheridan on May 19, 2007, 05:15:01 AM
Also see the main Blizzard site.

Subtitled; "Hell, it's about time." :B

http://www.blizzard.com/

http://www.starcraft2.com/
It would've been funnier if new arrivals had to check through each of the other games first. They all have their own little quotes on them.

Diablo is pretty much done.
They have yet to show us what happened after the incident in the D2 expansion...

Reese Tora

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on May 19, 2007, 03:58:43 PM
They have yet to show us what happened after the incident in the D2 expansion...

Incident? I was under the impression that you actually manage to kill the third prime evil at the end of the expansion. Unfortunately, I don't have my advanced save games any more, due to HDD crash last year.

Kitsune Ascendant

Quote from: Gornemant on May 19, 2007, 04:22:07 AM

The difference here being that they havn't been saying "Oh, it's in development, just a little longer!" for all those ten years.

Blizzard's got three properties that are really valuable:
WarCraft
Diablo
and
StarCraft. 

They've just about milked out Warcraft, and Diablo is pretty much done.  It's about time they went back to StarCraft. :3

Just so long as those zerglings aren't me. I'm nearly finished with the zerg missions.
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.
yappities by silverfoxr, and are awesome.  Thanks!

Aridas

Quote from: Reese Tora on May 19, 2007, 04:15:05 PM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on May 19, 2007, 03:58:43 PM

Incident? I was under the impression that you actually manage to kill the third prime evil at the end of the expansion. Unfortunately, I don't have my advanced save games any more, due to HDD crash last year.
I'll try to do this to the best of my memory.

***SPOILER***

To sum things up, Tyrael arrives after you defeat Baal, and says the worldstone is corrupted (by Baal, obviously), and that he has to destroy it or something will happen. I forget what he said, but it probably had something to do with hell on earth. He also tells you that he doesn't know what will happen to the world after its destruction. So D2Exp ends with one of the coolest short FMVs of all time, and...

***END SPOILER***

We STILL are left on a cliffhanger.

Saist

I'd be interested... if I hadn't stopped caring back in 2001 when this game was last announced and nothing happened... not to mention the now unheard of StarCraft Ghost project.

Vidar

HURRAH!  :boogie :eager :bunny :moogle

Let's hope it doesn't end up like SC:Ghost.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Taerkar

Certainly interesting news, but the smart money was on something starcraft related. It was also unlikely to be another MMORPG as that would directly compete with WoW, which is still printing money for Blizzard.

Now, anyone want to bet on how long until people start complaining about unit imbalance based on gameplay videos?

King Of Hearts

Its just been announced, it may just be that they have just finished developing more Protss stuff first.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Taerkar on May 20, 2007, 04:40:15 AM
Certainly interesting news, but the smart money was on something starcraft related. It was also unlikely to be another MMORPG as that would directly compete with WoW, which is still printing money for Blizzard.

Now, anyone want to bet on how long until people start complaining about unit imbalance based on gameplay videos?

well, MMORPG wise, a starcraft MMO wouldn't have been direct competition to WoW.  Since it's a different genre, it's likely that there would be plenty of double subscriptions from bliz fans to the two MMOs (assuming they made one). a double subscription from one person is more valuable than two individual subscriptions, because if a player is playing one, he isn't playing the other.  The fewer subscribers that are on line, the more money blizzard makes.

In fact, there's a precedent for a company successfully running multiple MMOs.  SoE has, what, seven full scale MMOs now? (EQ, EQ2, SWG, GaH:RR, Matrix, Planetside, Vanguard)

If they put the right developers on it, Starcraft On line would make a very valuable addition to Blizzard's repertoire.

Drake Manaweilder

Quote from: Manawolf on May 19, 2007, 02:54:30 AM
:yeahthat

Geez though, it looks like you need a top of the line computer to handle it... that pretty much leves me out :mowsad

Taerkar

Quote from: Reese Tora on May 20, 2007, 02:22:17 PM

well, MMORPG wise, a starcraft MMO wouldn't have been direct competition to WoW.  Since it's a different genre, it's likely that there would be plenty of double subscriptions from bliz fans to the two MMOs (assuming they made one). a double subscription from one person is more valuable than two individual subscriptions, because if a player is playing one, he isn't playing the other.  The fewer subscribers that are on line, the more money blizzard makes.

In fact, there's a precedent for a company successfully running multiple MMOs.  SoE has, what, seven full scale MMOs now? (EQ, EQ2, SWG, GaH:RR, Matrix, Planetside, Vanguard)

Full scale, perhaps, but I wouldn't exactly say successful.

And, well, while Starcraft MMORPG might be an MMOFPS like Planetside, there's not a good history for such things.

Reese Tora

Well, I never claimed any of them were successful, only that SoE successfully fielded them :3 ... I'm quite familiar with the unsuccess that is SW:G, for one (I'm never going to unload my unused collector's ed copy of the game :cry )

Success could be considered to have broken even or made minor profits.  :shifty

Vidar

Quote from: Drake Manaweilder on May 21, 2007, 01:11:31 AM
Quote from: Manawolf on May 19, 2007, 02:54:30 AM
:yeahthat

Geez though, it looks like you need a top of the line computer to handle it... that pretty much leves me out :mowsad

Every high-budget game ever made needed a top-of-the-line pc, except for the odd MMORGP here and there.

What kind of system do you have anyway? Maybe you can upgrade by the time the game comes out. It's only just been anounced, so you should have quite some time to save up for a proper machine. Also, the longer you wait, the more performance you can buy for your money.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Drake Manaweilder

Quote from: Vidar on May 21, 2007, 03:18:19 PM
What kind of system do you have anyway? Maybe you can upgrade by the time the game comes out. It's only just been anounced, so you should have quite some time to save up for a proper machine. Also, the longer you wait, the more performance you can buy for your money.

Lets see here... It's a Dell, 71.4 GB of harddrive space and the "System Properties" says:
Micrsoft windows XP Home edition 2002
Intel Celeron CPU 3.06GHz 504 MB of RAM

Can't find anything about the sound/vid cards though... but I know it lags a bit on CnC Generals if I have all the effects on.

...I hate it when I haven't a clue what I'm talking about...

Stygian

I have no worries when it comes to system requirements...

...however I do so hope that SC2 will include a flexible and clever resource system á la C&C3, or the gameplay might suffer. I'm not saying that they should take away minerals or vespene, however when you have to think more of combat and tactics, rather than go to extreme lengths of strategy as we saw in the original StarCraft, the gameplay tends to become much more intense and exciting. True, it made for much of the fun for some to develop patterns and strategies in the original, and with a 2D game you really can't fight tactically in a true way, but with these graphics and the computing power and experience at our hands nowadays...

It's just that I've always liked games that take strategy to the next level, like Ground Control and Dawn of War. And as a prolific player of both, I think that I know what I'm saying when I say that Blizzard could very well steal a part of the players that go for those types of games if they incorporated some of these new ideas. Adding that to the already well-worked concept of StarCraft, with the different races and their distinguishing traits, the excellent strategic elements and the perfect balance in between them, that would truly be a step into the next generation for Blizzard when it comes to their RTS games.

Cogidubnus

Well, it took what, eleven years, but hey. Starcraft 2.

It's like...finding out Santa is real.

And is giving you a hydralisk.  >:3