[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Status update:  'Disasters' now runs to about 20:00 in its edited form.  I have sent private preview copies to various friends and contributors, but so far only one of them has actually commented on it :P

I now have a second spool of the tape I'm using - probably the last one in the country of that particular grade - so I'm good to go for recording the ending.

I still need to overdub one or two sound effects, and I've noticed about a dozen places where the stereo image doesn't match the comic (e.g. Dan is on the left and his voice comes out the right speaker).  I also need to chase up a few actors for some missing/improved clips.

But there's only about four minutes of recording left before the credits and intro.  Then it will be complete - missing voices notwithstanding :rolleyes

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mystiqe

Quote from: Cogidubnus on August 04, 2007, 05:34:13 PM
This is the place to put such things, no? If not, it can be deleted.

Trying out for Aniz, pages 84-94. I tried to keep the pops and whatnot to a minimum. Really just auditioning, so I expect many many changes would need to follow anyway.

The mockery shall commence thusly: http://rapidshare.com/files/46997015/Cogidubnus3.rar.html

*Edit: Just for CameronCM: Cogidubnus3.rar

Edit 2: This one is rather better than the others. anizbestsofar.mp3

you my friend have got quite a devious voice! x3

CameronCN

Quote from: Mystiqe on August 14, 2007, 01:28:16 PM
Quote from: Cogidubnus on August 04, 2007, 05:34:13 PM
This is the place to put such things, no? If not, it can be deleted.

Trying out for Aniz, pages 84-94. I tried to keep the pops and whatnot to a minimum. Really just auditioning, so I expect many many changes would need to follow anyway.

The mockery shall commence thusly: http://rapidshare.com/files/46997015/Cogidubnus3.rar.html

*Edit: Just for CameronCM: Cogidubnus3.rar

Edit 2: This one is rather better than the others. anizbestsofar.mp3

you my friend have got quite a devious voice! x3

Yeah, it sounds quite convincing! (Even if it is a bit...whispery for the situation.) And thanks for listening to my little rant.   :) :eager

Tapewolf

Okay, usually I prefer to keep these as a surprise, but I'm just not getting enough comments about this thing, so I'm going to put up the test mix for critique.

http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/test/disaster_pre1.mp3  (13MB)

There are a few known problems with audio quality in some of the voices, and the panning is wrong in a few strips.  Also, this one was recorded in segments and the gaps between them are sometimes too long or short.

Fuyudenki

Tapewolf, Teekay would like a list of what strips and lines you need her voice for.

I'll listen to Disaster later.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Raist on August 19, 2007, 05:36:14 PM
Tapewolf, Teekay would like a list of what strips and lines you need her voice for.

At present, I'm still working on Disaster.  The only thing I really need for Alexsi from that is a retake of "It's Mom's maiden name.  I could have sworn she told you that."
(Currently it says "I could have sworn I told you that").

The next planned project is SAIA.  Alexsi only has a bit part in that but I can work out the strips later if need be.

If she really wants to get her teeth into something though, it would be nice to have the Alexsi and Dan-As-Alexsi lines from that arc.  And those are:
692-694, 696, 700-704, 710, 712, 715-723, 726-727, 735 and 739.

QuoteI'll listen to Disaster later.
I can't remember if I sent her the link to it now, you might want to pass it on when you see her next.

Brunhidden

would the 'dan as alexi' lines be in any diffrent of a voice then the actual alexi lines?

QuoteSomebody stop me
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on August 19, 2007, 07:01:38 PM
would the 'dan as alexi' lines be in any diffrent of a voice then the actual alexi lines?

I was thinking they'd be the same.  It has been suggested that we faintly overlay the actual person over them (James in that case, you for Merbel).  That will mean getting a matching set of voices though, which I'm not exactly holding out hope for :P

Do you want to look into the Abel voices for the SAIA arc, by the way?  If we suddenly get the complete set of Alexsi lines for the Church arc, we'll need his lines for that too.

Brunhidden

ill look into it, but the SIA storyline was quite long.

mostly i thought i was going to be told what lines to do, record several takes, and you chose which ones suck the least.... if this is incorrect please tell me how i should go about this.

QuotePrepare for failure

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on August 19, 2007, 07:23:11 PM
mostly i thought i was going to be told what lines to do, record several takes, and you chose which ones suck the least.... if this is incorrect please tell me how i should go about this.
Usually I give out the strip numbers, and wait for the results.  If there's something amiss, I'll ask for the specific bit(s) to be re-done with some kind of pointer as to what should be different.  I'd have done that last night but I was trying to get to bed before 1AM.  Which didn't happen anyway  :rolleyes

What would be handy to begin with is Abel's lines from his entrance from the mirror through to where he's dragging Dan away.  That's 506-509 and 511-512.

Particular attention should be paid to 508.  In that one I have been taking the individual clips and running them together in stereo, fading them in and out as need be.  You can record the 'blah blah blah' bit if you like but it wasn't my intention to use it.  Abel should sound dramatic, not bored himself.

Here's the original version with Khazan:
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/trapped_in_saia2.mp3
...I should be able to provide his voice in isolation if you want a reference copy.

Tapewolf

I put this together as an experiment, a sort of effects test if you will, but I'm rather pleased with the way it turned out so I'm making it public.  Pity I don't have Tezkat's voice to go with it.

Albanion torturing Jyrras:  http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/dmfa_805.wav.mp3

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 20, 2007, 07:39:59 PM
I put this together as an experiment, a sort of effects test if you will, but I'm rather pleased with the way it turned out so I'm making it public.  Pity I don't have Tezkat's voice to go with it.

*has his little school girl giggle fits*

Goatmon

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 20, 2007, 07:39:59 PM

That's outstanding, though I do have one suggestion; the eerie music would be better off if it came to an abrupt stop as soon as Albanion's mood changes again.  I think it'd be a bit funnier that way.

Zedd

Goatmon

Quote from: Zedd on August 21, 2007, 12:35:42 AM
A short record scratch too!

You read my mind.  I don't know why I didn't think to mention that in the post.   :<

superluser

I think the voice goes far too deep.  You're losing a lot of the definition.  Remember Xerxes from 300?  His voice seems to have been shifted only 6 semitones.  You might want to try shifting it down less and boosting the bass.

Record scratch is cliche, too.  If you're going for a cliche effect, that might be good, but otherwise, it might be over the top.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Goatmon on August 21, 2007, 12:01:37 AM
That's outstanding, though I do have one suggestion; the eerie music would be better off if it came to an abrupt stop as soon as Albanion's mood changes again.  I think it'd be a bit funnier that way.

Yeah, I could try that.  I don't have a record scratch, and I don't have any records I hate enough to scratch deliberately.  Although I could buy some hiphop from HMV.
If I dump the music to tape I could use the cue-lever trick though.  I did that a couple of times in Disasters - the Bach grinds to a halt as soon as Dan says 'just silly stuff'.  It's not an effect I like to overuse though.

Quote from: superluser on August 21, 2007, 12:57:20 AM
I think the voice goes far too deep.  You're losing a lot of the definition.  Remember Xerxes from 300?  His voice seems to have been shifted only 6 semitones.  You might want to try shifting it down less and boosting the bass.

Albanion's voice was shifted several times.  The varispeed on the B77mk2 didn't really have enough range to get there all the way, and running at half-speed was too much.
What I did in the end was record him directly to tape about +10% speed, and then imported it into Audacity, gradually turning it down to -10% to make his voice slowly morph.

The clip "One day you shall know despair." was shifted down by a further 10%.  The rest of it - forming the bulk of his lines - was shifted by 15% (15% on top of the tape varispeed, not a 25% shift).  Unfortunately I don't think Audacity stores the undo information so if I want to try it at 10% again, I'll have to dump it back in from tape again or pitch-shift it back up a bit, which will probably give us artifacts.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

DarkAudit

Quote from: superluser on August 21, 2007, 12:57:20 AM
Record scratch is cliche, too.  If you're going for a cliche effect, that might be good, but otherwise, it might be over the top.

It has to be done right, like Dr. Johnny Fever in the WKRP pilot.  :mwaha
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Brunhidden

i agree that it sounds better with his proper British accent, which is lost as it deepens too far. the first seconds after it deepens are the best.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on August 21, 2007, 11:54:12 AM
i agree that it sounds better with his proper British accent, which is lost as it deepens too far. the first seconds after it deepens are the best.
I'm going to see what it sounds like if I stick with a 10% shift on top of the tape.  Like 'You shall know despair'.  I think that's about optimum personally.
Hey, I did this at gone midnight.  I'm surprised it sounded so good in the morning :P

llearch n'n'daCorna

it was well done, I'll give it that.

Perhaps not what was needed - I know the sizzling sounds seemed, to me, to be overdone - I expected a brief hiss, no more than that. But, withal, a creditable effort.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 21, 2007, 12:45:04 PM
Perhaps not what was needed - I know the sizzling sounds seemed, to me, to be overdone - I expected a brief hiss, no more than that. But, withal, a creditable effort.
Perhaps.  Thing is the voice and the music were done independently - it was a matter of making it all fit after the fact.  Once I have some Jyrras voices the timing will be all screwed over anyway :P

**EDIT**
I did make one, but I'm not publishing it yet since I remixed the music and I'm not happy with the way it turned out.

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 21, 2007, 12:53:16 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 21, 2007, 12:45:04 PM
Perhaps.  Thing is the voice and the music were done independently - it was a matter of making it all fit after the fact.  Once I have some Jyrras voices the timing will be all screwed over anyway :P

**EDIT**
I did make one, but I'm not publishing it yet since I remixed the music and I'm not happy with the way it turned out.
Your never happy.....*jedi hand wave*

Tapewolf

Quote from: Zedd on August 22, 2007, 12:11:56 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 21, 2007, 12:53:16 PM
**EDIT**
Your never happy.....*jedi hand wave*

It was the tubular bells... they were too prominent and interfering with the dialogue.  And the choir wasn't prominent enough.
I'm a lot happier with this one, and although I still don't think I've managed to equal the bassline on the original, it does fix a number of problems that it did have. 

And now it is time to hear Jyrras suffer:
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/dmfa_805b.wav.mp3

Changelog:
* Added Jyrras Gianna (my poor imitation of Tezkat)
* Score is now multitracked and stereo expanded.  Slightly quieter against the dialogue.
* Fixed bad chord changes and other glitches in the M400 choir
* Tubular bells are now centred instead of wandering uncontrollably around the stereo image
* Sizzling sound is shorter [llearch]
* Albanion is now slowed down -10% from the original tape instead of -15% [superluser]

Fuyudenki

Teekay just got back to me with a redub of Alexsi's line for comic 293, panel 3.

It's Mom's maiden name.  I could have sworn she told you that.

totally "she."

Tapewolf

Thanks.  I'll add that to the tape version when I have the chance.  I've interrupted work on it temporarily to finish my album - that has to be done ASAP or I'll miss the slot my mastering engineer has set aside for it.  I should be back on the case in a few days...

Goatmon

Sounds good! I still think it'd sound best if the music cut off near the end, but it's fine either way. 

Fuyudenki

hey, I'm lazy and not entirely sure where to look, do you still need a DeeBs?

'cause I think she fits in my falsetto range...

[edit]nope, no, on actual observation, my falsetto voice sounds... exactly like Keaton![/edit]

Tapewolf

Quote from: Goatmon on September 04, 2007, 09:15:40 PM
Sounds good! I still think it'd sound best if the music cut off near the end, but it's fine either way. 

Heh... for a minute I thought I was getting some of the feedback on the beta of 'Recipe for Disasters' that I need.   :P

Anyway, on a whim I've put an early version of the Albanion thing as the hidden track on my album.  I'll go back to finishing up Disasters soon.

James StarRunner