Ever feel like beancounters run the games industry?

Started by Saist, April 02, 2007, 01:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saist

Well, you would be right.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23935

The highest paying jobs in the Games industry are : BeanCounters and Lawyers.

The lowest paying jobs in the Games industry are : Quality Assurance.

So, the next time you come across that glaring bug... say like the Truck having no hood textures in Far Cry Wii, you can be certain that the QA guys weren't qualified, and some beancounter said "it's done, ship it."

Nimrods Son

yer absolutely on the right track. investigate furhter, and then make a good aritcle about it. you could sell that to a gaming magazine, I'm sure :mowmeep

Tapewolf

This seems to be an overall tendency, not just the games market.

Of course, if U9 had shipped with every single bug fixed, you'd have no mountain climbing with bottles or bridges made from bread.  In a word, it would have been boring.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Saist

Quote from: Angantyr on April 04, 2007, 06:43:54 AM
yer absolutely on the right track. investigate furhter, and then make a good aritcle about it. you could sell that to a gaming magazine, I'm sure :mowmeep

You seem to forget. I already own a Gaming Site.

Tapewolf

Quote from: je.saist on April 04, 2007, 07:53:42 PM
I must admit I didn't know that either.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Beancounters and Lawyers always get the good money, though. Both jobs are those in charge of the money flow, and require either grubby hands, or slick talk, respectively. So obviously they get paid well, since if you can't trust the folks who count the money, or the folks who make sure you don't lose more than you should in court, why should you trust anyone else?

.. of course, this misses the point that those actually providing money by generating input, or ensuring those who generate content can work, might actually be slightly more important, since without those, there's no money for the ticks to suck on. And the suggestion that, well, a large number of startups have a lot of money flowing about for some reason, until the lawyers and beancounters get stuck in...

Of course, I might be just a touch cynical about it all...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Nimrods Son

Quote from: je.saist on April 04, 2007, 07:53:42 PM
Quote from: Angantyr on April 04, 2007, 06:43:54 AM

I'm sorry, I didn't know. Why don't you put a link in your profile, I'd lilke to check it out! :mowsmile
D'you already earn money with it?