3/21/07 Cubi: Are You Lost, Little Girl?

Started by Akisohida, March 20, 2007, 10:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nino

Quote from: Damaris on March 21, 2007, 12:00:13 AM
Mana, that's like me breaking out the boggart from Harry Potter to compare to your Dream Larvae.  They are completely unrelated, and the whole thing would be quite ridiculous.

Seriously.  D&D is not the Bible.  DMFA, for that matter, is not D&D.  Save some money, and your poor Monster Manual's spine, and stop breaking out the book in subforums that do not relate to roleplaying.

This is something I think we all can agree on =P It'd be just as annoying if I compared it to a Pokémon or something. Esoteric references for things outside of the DMFA universe ftl!

Anyway yeah, that creature is pretty friggin' awesome. I wonder if you can die in a dream since your physical body isn't there... or is it? Does the physical body remain in the real world?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Nothing to stop you going brain dead, if you never come back to your body, now, is there?

Physical body may well breath on for a bit, and then just stop.

As for the physical body being in dreams, I believe it's generally accepted (at least by the Furrae Chronicles folks) that it's a mental entry only. Of course, that doesn't say anything about what Amber has in mind, but it's a reasonable guess...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

*Charles nods in agreement*  It's silly to compare that creature to anything from D&D or Pokemon. 

It's obviously a Digimon, and here's why...*assassin strike!*   :knifed
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

You know, looking at that thing again, it's obvious it's Trogdor.

Burnination FTW.

*grin* And I still feel for its' poor optometrist....

Netami

Oh man, I feel a new fetish coming on. Yeah baby, you can burninate my thatched roof cottages any day, big white dream eating mythos. Gotta write a slash-fic.

:eager

Saist

I normally try to stay out of commenting on the comics, just enjoying them as Amber creates them...

But for the love of Mew Manawolf, would you knock it off trying to fit DMFA into your D&D world?

Can't you just bloody well accept that a Comic is a Comic and that it doesn't have to draw inspiration from Dungeons and Dragons?

It's gone beyond annoying that even now I'm commenting on your desire to pigeon hole DMFA into your own little world.

Do us a favor Manawolf, if you can't say anything about the comic that is NOT D&D releated, just don't post.

Siirenias

The Mythos there fascinates me to no end.  It gives me tingles.  I think it'd be very awesome to do something like a wallpaper of that creature as a donation incentive.

He's well drawn, too, Amber.  Props.

Manawolf

It's a habit of some D&D nerds, they try to translate other things they like into D&D terms.  Azlan gave it a shot back on the old forums with that RP he had, but it quickly drifted from Furrae into other territory.

I do realize that my musings are probably incongruent with Amber's own world of DMFA, but I feel I'm at least doing something rather than spurting out a simple "Oh, that's interesting."\

Besides, I find it also spurs Amber in providing a quicker explanation to straighten out the questions her readers may have.

Also, I don't need to crack open a book to say what I have to say.  I save it for when someone may find interest in something beyond the realms of DMFA.

superluser

Quote from: Siirenias on March 21, 2007, 01:31:02 AMI think it'd be very awesome to do something like a wallpaper of that creature as a donation incentive.

He's well drawn, too, Amber.  Props.

He *is* well drawn, on many levels.

I'm not sure, however, if this would work well as a wallpaper, since it would be essentially all white space.  There are works of great art that are stupidly simple (take Piet Mondrian, for example) and there are works that take tons of effort but wind up being wholly without art (the phone book).  I'm just not sure if I'd want something that has that much white space on my desktop.

Quote from: Manawolf on March 21, 2007, 02:01:58 AMBesides, I find it also spurs Amber in providing a quicker explanation to straighten out the questions her readers may have.

I do believe that that means you're ``trolling for comments.''  Usually shortened to ``trolling.''

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Nino

Man, don't you hate it when someone is being totally obnoxious on a forum and several people, including a mod, tells them this and they don't offer an apology and instead get all defensive about it?

Anyway, I'd love a wallpaper of it IF there was one in black or something (that would look awesome!). I agree with the sentiment that there is too much white on the one in the mini-arc for it to make a good wallpaper.

Brunhidden

what i hate is the strong feeling Iv'e seen this.....THING before but have no idea when or where.

memory loss can be a female dog sometimes, especially when someone you do not know starts up a conversation like they've known you for years and you just have to play along.... and something that ugly i sure hope i remember what it is before it decides to say "hey buddy, did you get what i asked for?"

QuoteDo not ask questions you do not want to know the answers to
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Saist

Quote from: Kattuccino on March 21, 2007, 02:41:49 AM
Man, don't you hate it when someone is being totally obnoxious on a forum and several people, including a mod, tells them this and they don't offer an apology and instead get all defensive about it?

yes. I do hate it. How often have I posted in the comic thread besides to make a snide comment or joke about the comic?

I had hoped that by stepping in and saying something would prompt some sort of positive reaction. On the other hand, I don't want to become a "Forum Police Officer."  I'm not fond of the idea of getting pulled over by the Bill and Amber squad and made to pay for my crimes for being out of line by chewing out other forum goers.

QuoteAnyway, I'd love a wallpaper of it IF there was one in black or something (that would look awesome!). I agree with the sentiment that there is too much white on the one in the mini-arc for it to make a good wallpaper.

And yes, I would dearly love that Mythos on a wall paper. 

Just as long as the target is not a blue kitten.
* je.saist does a quick Ink check, then scampers back for cover.

Netami

The man is clearly a genius. What better way to get the comic artist to explain factoids than to post something incorrect and try to hammer it home! The wikipedia should be giving you some sort of medal.

:mwaha

Tapewolf

Has Amber played Arx Fatalis?  Because not only does the line it came out of look like the Arx summoning spell, but what was summoned looks a lot like the demons that the spell produces.  (Gonna have to take some screenshots tonight!)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Stygian

Well, perhaps that. And perhaps Amber has been watching Alien: Ressurrection a bit too much over the weekend. In either case, it's wonderful and must have!

VioletDusk

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees a resemblance to Digimon.  :giggle

ShiningShadow

I love the creature to very huggable >:3. Anywho if this creature could manifest anything horrible in your dreams? What does another creature looks like when you have a great Dream hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm too many possibilities.

Madmann135

you know I could remember I saw that critter somewhere before but I guess I could have been mistaken.

My nightmares are full of clowns.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Netami on March 21, 2007, 03:39:30 AM
The man is clearly a genius. What better way to get the comic artist to explain factoids than to post something incorrect and try to hammer it home! The wikipedia should be giving you some sort of medal.

:mwaha

... we can easily supply a ban medal, for anyone who wants it. Just ask - no queues, no waiting.

No?

Well, I'll just save it for later, then.

Sunblink

Oh my giddy aunt. If that isn't the most awesome thing I've ever seen in my life, I don't know what is. Excellent artwork and character designs in this one, Amber. o__o *stares at the dragon, falls over*

I officially declare that mythos-dragon to be my Squishy, and he shall be my Squishy. *attaches a leash to him and marches jubilantly off*

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Stygian

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 21, 2007, 10:41:17 AM
Oh my giddy aunt. If that isn't the most awesome thing I've ever seen in my life, I don't know what is. Excellent artwork and character designs in this one, Amber. o__o *stares at the dragon, falls over*

I officially declare that mythos-dragon to be my Squishy, and he shall be my Squishy. *attaches a leash to him and marches jubilantly off*

~Keaton the Black Jackal

...am I, as a horrible being of darkness, going to have to look out now? I don't want to end up with a collar.

Anyway, if I had to explain how that thing looks, I would hardly use a dragon as my first choice of basis. Despite the slightly serpentine body, it's got way too many appendages and eyes for that...

Kaerou

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 20, 2007, 11:09:58 PM
The particular critter is a Mythos

And there i was thinking it was a nightmare.

Awesomely done.  I'm curious how hard he was to draw?

by Silverfoxr! Thank you!

Yukifox

Looks like a giant multieyed centipede to me.

Brunhidden

its self loathing, it already ate pride and faith in mankind so i hope its not that hungry anymore

Quoteall that is left is nothing
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Yukifox

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on March 21, 2007, 12:53:55 PM
its self loathing, it already ate pride and faith in mankind so i hope its not that hungry anymore

Quoteall that is left is nothing

What the kcvf is this gothic tihs now?

(Hurrah for backwards swearing!)

superluser

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 21, 2007, 10:41:17 AMI officially declare that mythos-dragon to be my Squishy, and he shall be my Squishy. *attaches a leash to him and marches jubilantly off*

Hmm.  This gives me an idea...

Quote from: Yukifox on March 21, 2007, 01:00:02 PMWhat the kcvf is this gothic tihs now?

I thought it was something from the Neverending Story, but let me check...Hmm.  Doesn't seem to be that.

Also, I'm not sure if backwards writing is encouraged here.

Yukifox

Quote from: superluser on March 21, 2007, 01:06:33 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 21, 2007, 10:41:17 AMI officially declare that mythos-dragon to be my Squishy, and he shall be my Squishy. *attaches a leash to him and marches jubilantly off*

Hmm.  This gives me an idea...

Quote from: Yukifox on March 21, 2007, 01:00:02 PMWhat the kcvf is this gothic tihs now?

I thought it was something from the Neverending Story, but let me check...

It's been done somewhere before, but where exactly escapes me. X3  I know I've seen it before though.

Tezkat

Quote from: Stygian on March 21, 2007, 10:54:31 AM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 21, 2007, 10:41:17 AM

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Hey! No hogging the squishy! He's big enough for all of us to love him and hug him and pet him and squeeze him...

Heh... I believe the moral of this story is that, no matter how scary the monster, there's always something worse lurking around the corner. But how did Amber manage to make the most terrifying creature in the comic so cute?
:kittycool

...am I, as a horrible being of darkness, going to have to look out now? I don't want to end up with a collar.

Tezkat examines Stygian's avatar. Um... :animesweat
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Angel

:eek The awesomeness in that mythos is so amazing....

Since I've been reading too much Yami no Matsuei fanfiction, my thoughts immediately screamed "OMG MURAKI'S TURNED INTO A DRAGON-THING!" Then I realized that it was also rather Ink-esque, although scarier along with being just as creepy. * Amazing job drawing it, though; that monster deserves more than just a comic-panel.

(*I've reworked that predicate three times and I still don't like it. Curses upon you, inner grammar nerd!)

Also, was that eye-stalk thing behind the succubus a teleportation, or was he in the distance? Or maybe he was already there... lurking... :mowninja
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

superluser

Quote from: Black_angel on March 21, 2007, 03:01:20 PMAlso, was that eye-stalk thing behind the succubus a teleportation, or was he in the distance? Or maybe he was already there... lurking... :mowninja

I'm not sure if dreams follow euclidean geometry, so all of those things might be true simultaneously.