3/12/07 [#760] sneaking

Started by MaskedRetriever, March 11, 2007, 10:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny crested flint

Quote from: MaskedRetriever on March 12, 2007, 02:24:57 AM
Quote from: Izkata on March 12, 2007, 01:37:27 AM
Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on March 12, 2007, 01:08:42 AMbut has anyone noised that when your close to a person they radiate a palpable sense of presence? apperantly some people have a wider radius then others, and mine is somewhere around ten feet.
Yeppers.  For me it's a sort of creepy feeling on the back of my neck.

In the form of!

SCENT!

PERIPHERAL VISION AND OTHER VISUAL CUES!

And TACTILE REACTIONS TO AIR PRESSURE!

While those things do occur, most people in my life (whoa, I actually have one?!?!) do ignore me so I can still slide up right behind them unnoticed. :mwaha
That's why I say what I say.

The only thing I can think of that would be worse than humming would be Jy accidentally relaxing his tail and the tuft falls down and tickles Lorenda's nose. :laugh :giggle
Question: Would Lorenda have noticed even if Jy didn't hum?

Dard

Dump-doo Doodleoo doodoo Doodoo
Dump-doo Doodleoo doodoo Doodoo
Doooooooo dooooooo
Doooooooo Doo-doo

Peter Gunn theme!

ShiningShadow

With the outfit I think the Mission Impossible 2 directed by John Woo. I bet the humming is a song from Metallica from the soundtrack of MI:2.

But in any case he's avoiding Lorenda because he has feelings to pursue especially that cute butted Abel, and he's so afraid to tell Lorenda that.

Stig Hemmer

Bah! I am sure Jyrras has his own theme, hummed by him exclusively. :ipod
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

superluser

Quote from: Density D. on March 12, 2007, 03:19:22 AMThe only thing I can think of that would be worse than humming would be Jy accidentally relaxing his tail and the tuft falls down and tickles Lorenda's nose.

BARF: Huh? Oh, look, it's got a mind of it's own, sweetheart. I can't do a thing with it.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on March 12, 2007, 01:08:42 AM
however for me its not noise, despite being a 240 pound abomination i can be incredibly quiet....but has anyone noised that when your close to a person they radiate a palpable sense of presence? apperantly some people have a wider radius then others, and mine is somewhere around ten feet. how the heck can you sneak up on someone when they get the willies as soon as your in the same room?

What's odd is that I keep accidentally sneaking up on people. I don't -try- to sneak, I just happen to not be noticeable somehow...

Admittedly, being only 136lb, I have it slightly easier than you, there, Brunhidden... :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gornemant

I bet he was humming Cuban Pete :B

Aridas

why do people have to be humming anything in particular when they are?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

MaskedRetriever

I think he's just avoiding Lorenda because the thing with Dan worked out but was really freaking draining.  He's hoping to regroup a little.  And I don't think Lorenda will blame him exactly once she finds this out.

But for now yeah it does kinda look like he's being a colossal coward.

:mowignore

MT Hazard

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on March 12, 2007, 01:08:42 AMbut has anyone noised that when your close to a person they radiate a palpable sense of presence? apperantly some people have a wider radius then others, and mine is somewhere around ten feet.

In the form of!

SCENT!

A lot of apparent Extra sensory perception is unconsciousness perception though normal senses.

e.g. you don't really recognise it as a sound or a change in light pattern etc. but on some level you register it.

Of course this doesn't explain how, when you think about a friend you haven't heard from in ages and the phone rings, with them on the other end.

I read a convincing argument that suggested that so called physics could  have a gift for predicting (in the way all humans do to a limited extend). This might have been covered in the forums before

The example was a physic is asked to locate a body, they say it will be found in a ditch, what they've actually done is remember TV programs/ books that have been shown recently when bodies where found in ditches, because its possible the killer is influenced in the same way the predication has a change of becoming 'true'.

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

GabrielsThoughts

I'm sure the squeky poping rubber sound din't hide him all that well either.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

KarlOmega1

He's probably humming to the act 1 boss BGM for Sonic and Knuckles...which to me sounds somewhat like something from James Bond.

Edit> also...rest well, mrs. Williams.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

EvilIguana966

While I have no particular affinity for dudes in skin-tight outfits (no offense to anyone who does), I think Ms. Williams did a particularly fine job with the art in that area.  The coloring job on and around the wrinkles in his stealth suit is very convincing, and it stood out to me for some reason.

ShiningShadow

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 12, 2007, 01:10:08 PM
I'm sure the squeky poping rubber sound din't hide him all that well either.

I'm sure they have those suction cups can be silent I think the Navy Seals have them I think? Who knows the effect in the strip that Jy-Jy was silent until he started to hum.

MaskedRetriever

Wwwait-- Jyrras in a... SKIN TIGHT ultra-shibby jet-black hi-tech stealth suit?

*pant*

I am so narcissistic for Jyrras.

Akisohida

Quote from: Density D. on March 12, 2007, 03:19:22 AM

In the form of!

SCENT!

While those things do occur, most people in my life (whoa, I actually have one?!?!) do ignore me so I can still slide up right behind them unnoticed. :mwaha
That's why I say what I say.

The only thing I can think of that would be worse than humming would be Jy accidentally relaxing his tail and the tuft falls down and tickles Lorenda's nose. :laugh :giggle
Question: Would Lorenda have noticed even if Jy didn't hum?

People can NOT sneak up on me. The moment a person is about six feet away, I know they are there, no matter how lost in thought I am. Whatever I sense, I pop out of my thoughs and 'Hmm? I lost my train of thought..there must be someone behind me' :P
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

MaskedRetriever

Quote from: ShiningShadow on March 12, 2007, 03:59:17 PM
I'm sure they have those suction cups can be silent I think the Navy Seals have them I think? Who knows the effect in the strip that Jy-Jy was silent until he started to hum.

Dr Coondog to the rescue!

See, the principle of a suction cup is that you need to get a vacuum inside a space which includes the surface you want to stick to.  Now the most straight forward way to do this is to stick a rubber cup down onto the surface, forcing the air out, then pull it back out, allowing the air to "schlup" in and out of the cup.

But of course, this is not the only way to do this!

By putting a sizeable, compressable chamber on the one side of your cup, you can extract the air through some much quieter method such as a pump, or even a mechanical lever which allows you to "twist" the air out.  Running the process backwards unsticks the cup, with barely a sound emitted!

And Navy Seals probably wouldn't bother with them in most scenarios I can imagine.  A moist surface might be better for sticking to, but a surface buffeted by water like the side of a ship could really readily cause your cups to take in water, rendering them useless until pumped clear.

:mowninja

ShiningShadow

Quote from: MaskedRetriever on March 13, 2007, 02:03:48 AM
Quote from: ShiningShadow on March 12, 2007, 03:59:17 PM

Dr Coondog to the rescue!

See, the principle of a suction cup is that you need to get a vacuum inside a space which includes the surface you want to stick to.  Now the most straight forward way to do this is to stick a rubber cup down onto the surface, forcing the air out, then pull it back out, allowing the air to "schlup" in and out of the cup.

But of course, this is not the only way to do this!

By putting a sizeable, compressable chamber on the one side of your cup, you can extract the air through some much quieter method such as a pump, or even a mechanical lever which allows you to "twist" the air out.  Running the process backwards unsticks the cup, with barely a sound emitted!

And Navy Seals probably wouldn't bother with them in most scenarios I can imagine.  A moist surface might be better for sticking to, but a surface buffeted by water like the side of a ship could really readily cause your cups to take in water, rendering them useless until pumped clear.

:mowninja

Thank's  Dr. Coondog that explains alot now I know and knowing is half the battle  :giggle.
Anywho I'm very good at sneaking up on people, when I work at the high school and I tell them to go to class the stragglers are there hanging around in the halls.

I sneak up on them and stand there for a couple of minutes till they finally turn around and I get a freaked out look about them cool isn't it.

MaskedRetriever

Thanks!  I'm not a real doctor, but I am an actual CoonDog.

:mowhappy

e_voyager

Quote from: Akisohida on March 12, 2007, 11:27:57 PM

People can NOT sneak up on me. The moment a person is about six feet away, I know they are there, no matter how lost in thought I am. Whatever I sense, I pop out of my thoughs and 'Hmm? I lost my train of thought..there must be someone behind me' :P
i'm not so lucky as you are. people can wake me form my sleep by walking but but if i'm reading toe lost in though then i'm a sitting lump.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey