The Username thread

Started by Roureem Egas, February 05, 2007, 11:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Halisstrad

Reese Tora

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on February 06, 2007, 08:45:59 PM
*hides mace behind his back*

show of hands, how many of you have your username here, a diffrent name on each IM program you have, another diffrent name for your DA or other galleries, and yet another diffrent name for each forum you go to?

form an orderly line, i would like to give you something.

QuoteIt tastes like free

*partial hand raise*

the year was 199x, and my family had just aquired internet access by way of AOL(booo! *hiss*) Having just recently read the books in Gordon Dickson's "Dragon and the George" series, I set out to use dragon knight, or some permutation thereof as my email address/user name.

It still is.

Fast forward some four to six years, it is now December, 2000, and the SW:G development board has been open for a month.  A certain yet to be kitty decides to join, and wants to come up with an appropriate name.  Valder is born(stealing the name of the main character from the Larence Watt Evans's book "the mis-enchanted sword"), but only on those forums.  Later, the little kitty signes up or an AIM account for the purpose of chatting with the other forum members(having since switched ISPs to something better than AOL or dialup).  Valder is taken(it's a common german name? well darn!), and the kitty, very much a starwars fan, appends 1138 to his name.  I have used that AIM name ever since.
Finally, fast forward a year; by various means(a link from the starwars boards to an "All Your Base" spoof comic on Dragon-Tails, the main page comic was the basketball story arc),  this little kitty is introduced to web comics! yay! the list grows, and DMFA soon comes under the kitty's sights.  Being, as of yet, socially ungraceful, the kitty builds his list of comics in silence, still known variously as Valder or the dragonknight, until he comes accross the SilverfoxR's comic, and goes so far as to join it's message board.  but wait, what name should he use?

I believe the rest of this story is continued earlier in the thread, by another post in my name. :3

(now if only I could remember stuff for my history class like this :rolleyes )
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Eibborn

Read Eibbor backwards. Tadah.
/kicks the internet over

xHaZxMaTx

How is that pronounced, anyway?  'I-ber'?

Sid

I keep reading it as iBore, which (as I only now realize) is not exactly the nicest pronounciation... :animesweat *hides under a rock*
:boogie

Tiny crested flint

*check the custom title*
Name was my girlfriend's idea.(hence any girlyness) Her word is law.
I like alliterration.
I thought it was the coolest thing ever when I learned the Anagram for d-e-s-t-i-n-y was
d-e-n-s-i-t-y.
I've been called thick headed and dense before.
My favorite subject is physics and stuff like mass and states of matter.
Once, the stupid idea occurred that the one who controled the destiny of all density would have great power over matter.
Combine all these elements and my girl came up with the name.
I realised girlyness too late and have now changed second part to just D. in secret so said significant other will have no need to kill me.

xHaZxMaTx

Is the custom title a new addition, or did I just miss it before?  Both seem equally likely, since I really don't pay attention to such things.  Though I would bet that it's a new addition, unless, of course, you were your girlfriend's idea.

Tiger_T

I like tigers.
'Tiger' was already taken.
My name starts with T.
Underscores rule. ( >:3 that and TigerT was also taken.)
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Aisha deCabre

Hm, I've done something like this a couple of times, but what the heck.  Just for the record again.   :3

My game goes all the way back to Furcadia...I read the comic, but I wasn't part of the forum yet, and this was even before I started to visit the real Lost Lake.  I was creating a new character and needed a name...at the time I loved watching Outlaw Star and I thought of one of my favorite characters...you guessed it, Aisha ClanClan.  I took the first name from her (although I was annoyed that a bunch of people inaccurately guessed that I took the "Aisha" part from Neopets).   :rolleyes

At the time, my nickname was "Aisha Risen", and it was just a nickname back then as it is now, as I was only just starting her history...which was similar to what I have now.  Anyway, I joined the forum a bit later under "Aisha deCabre", and the "deCabre" actually was a random thing.  But looking at it, at the time, it looked vaguely Spanish.  That was about the time I figured that Aisha was to be a jaguar (and jaguars live in areas that speak Spanish primarily.  That's how the slight Hispanic thing to her character stuck, hence).

I'm no longer on Furcadia...it got boring, and all previous projects that I'd had there before had long since degenerated.  So, I stuck to the forum and further developed Aisha here.  Somewhat new, somewhat old.   :)

And...that's me.  x3

I'd also note that I wanted a name that, just like my real name, also started with an "A".
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Eibborn

Quote from: HaZ×MaT on February 13, 2007, 05:24:35 PM
How is that pronounced, anyway?  'I-ber'?
Le shrug. However you like. The originally used pronunciation was Ee-bore, but at that point I was too young to really care about whether it was pronounced as it was written. Honestly, it doesn't matter to me. :)
/kicks the internet over

Ryudo Lee

"Ryudo Lee", the character, is all an ex-girlfriend's fault.  We used to RP a lot through various IM's and she particularly liked the name Ryudo (I tacked on the last name Lee).  And then she got me onto Furcadia, and it just took off from there.  For awhile it was my fursona, but soon I learned to separate my fursona from RP characters. 

My fursona is a raichu-morph, nicknamed Rai, but I'll go 'round on the internet as DaRai and in online games as Churai.  "Churai" actually comes from one of the N64 Pokemon games where if you changed the name of the pokemon around, it would change the color of the pokemon.  "Churai" didn't do anything to the color of my raichu, but it stuck.  I use this one because more often than not "Rai" is already taken.  "DaRai" was back from my days of haunting IRC channels on Furnet.  The reason for adding "Da" to the name "Rai" was... at the time, we had a cat named Flash.  And my brother used to always pick him up and say "it's da flash!"  Flash didn't care, so long as he got put back down.  So I just put Da and Rai together and "it's DaRai!"

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

James StarRunner

Hmm... how did I come up with James StarRunner? It's not from Homestarrunner, that's for sure!

*ahem* Sorry, you just don't know how many times I get that...

At first I just needed something to call myself on the internet without revealing my whole name. I thought using my real first name was safe, but I still needed a new last name.

Now, I'm not a huge Star Wars junkie, but I had watched a few episodes of it right before I came up with the name. So as I sat down, I thought to myself, "Ok, self... What's higher than the sky and faster than walking?" As you can tell, the influence came from Skywalker. Anyways, my mind responded back to me. It said, "The stars are higher than the sky I guess and running is faster than walking. Ha! Beat that Luke! I have a superior name! Man, people are going to think I'm such a dork..." Nevertheless, I was too lazy to come up with anything else, so I slapped Star and Runner together for the last name, making James StarRunner!

It was originally meant for my human persona (and I still use it), but I was lazy when I joined the DMFA forum and made a new character with the same name.

Ya... kind of a lame method to come up with a name. That was about a decade ago though.

edit: Oh, and Zedd? You know you're named after the Canadian letter 'Z'. Don't deny it! :P

superluser

Quote from: James StarRunner on February 19, 2007, 05:24:15 PMThe stars are higher than the sky I guess and running is faster than walking. Ha! Beat that Luke! I have a superior name!

You do know that in early drafts of the film, his last name was Starkiller, right?

Quote from: James StarRunner on February 19, 2007, 05:24:15 PMedit: Oh, and Zedd? You know you're named after the Canadian letter 'Z'. Don't deny it! :P

I thought that he was named after A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zedd

Quote from: James StarRunner on February 19, 2007, 05:24:15 PMedit: Oh, and Zedd? You know you're named after the Canadian letter 'Z'. Don't deny it! :P
Quote from: Posted by: superluser  Posted on: Today at 07:30:58 PMI thought that he was named after A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers.

Your wrong Jamey! You cant prove a thing!! Yet the chinese-english dictionary sounds abit more like Mobys from SSX tricky speed

Destina Faroda

Ah...the username.  I have several usernames and I can tell a very long story behind the origin of each.  However, I'll stick with that of Destina Faroda, since it's the simplest even though it's ironically the least recognized.

In the video games of the Ogre Battle series, there's always a main character to lead the troops.  In the first game, this character was not given a default name and could be male or female.  However, later games of the series have retconned this character as not only being male, but being named -- Destin Faroda.  I took the name Destina Faroda not only because I'm female, but to take on the female aspect of a character that has been assumed to be male.
Sig coming...whenever...

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: James StarRunneredit: Oh, and Zedd? You know you're named after the Canadian letter 'Z'. Don't deny it! :P
Heh, silly Canadians and their Chevy Corvette 'Zedd'-06. :giggle.

ninjannihilator

Hmm...

A few years back I was signing up for an account on GameFAQs and was thinking of a way to express my intolerance of ninjas. I was thinking something lame like "ninja terminator" but that sounded lame. Then I came up with "Ninja Annihilator"; sadly I could only use 16 characters. So I just merged the words on the 'a'.

Sadly it backfired on me and now I'm stuck with everyone calling me "ninja".

Xuzaf D

Ninja isn't a bad title. Ninja's steal cake and piss lightning.

llearch n'n'daCorna

That must be terribly uncomfortable. Not to mention tough on the fittings.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears