It Hurts: 12-30-06

Started by willow186129, December 30, 2006, 03:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aridas

I'm not sure how he'd get whisked away, considering what info we've been given, SAIA accepts applicants rather than abducting random cubi.

Gildedtongue

I'm going with the notion that Abel's hearing voices of ghosts of the recently dead.

He probably missed our favourite spotty pup because he was distracted and he wasn't in much stress during the time of death.  Devin, he watched him fall.

But, I could be wrong, it happens often.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 02, 2007, 11:42:56 AMWhile I was being facetious about it being Cid, we don't know what he does during the day.  In Strip 15, which is admittedly 18 years or so earlier, he comes home at night.  If he did have to do some kind of part-time adventuring gig to make ends meet you wouldn't really know if that's what he was actually doing or not.

Perhaps, but it still seems like Zinvth is a long way away.  Pretending to moonlight as an adventurer doesn't help if you don't bring back the money, and unless he's doing highway robbery, he's not going to make much from random encounters.

Adventurers would tend to pack light, and most of the valuables that someone would be carrying would be instantly recognizable to any pawn broker in the town.  The town that Cindy was in doesn't appear to be too big, and the 16th century cosmopolis Rome had only 100,000 people.  In a town as small as this one surely is, everybody would know everybody's business, and if the fuzz came around to your shop asking about that nice sword with the red stains that you just got, you'd tend to remember who sold it to you.

And if you're going to say, `shapeshifter,' I find it odd that Devin wouldn't have mentioned that fact to Abel.  The town would have surely picked up on the fact that reputable members of the community were repeatedly pawning items from the recently deceased, and put two and two together.  Or hanged everybody, making it more difficult to find victims.  As for impersonating a stranger, the town would obviously have put in an ordinance that no outsiders may pawn goods while the murders are still unsolved.

Ah, but he's pawning them in Zinvth, you say.  Not likely.  News of this sort would make it back to Zinvth, and while they would be unlikely to prosecute a fellow creature, this rather depends on them knowing that Cid is a creature, and if they know that, then I'm willing to bet that this information would have made it back to May, who seems not to know.

It's not a bad theory, though, now that I think about it.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 02, 2007, 11:42:56 AM(That said, 50-something adventurers aren't exactly common)

``I remember my granddad telling me he saw him ... my granddad telling me he ... my granddad...''

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Arcalane

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on January 02, 2007, 11:52:32 AM
I'm not sure how he'd get whisked away, considering what info we've been given, SAIA accepts applicants rather than abducting random cubi.

Technically, Dan was abducted. Even though Aary applied on his behalf, he didn't want to go. Hence, abduction.

MaskedRetriever

I think Abel's about to accidentially eat Devin.

Think about it.  Cubi can eat souls.  If one was just floating there, and you were a Cubi reaching out to it, not knowing what you were doing, mightn't you end up pulling it closer to you, trying to help it somehow?  Even as it was pulled inside you?

We don't really know everything about how soul-eatin' works but it seems entirely possible that Abel could end up trying to help Devin and accidentially absorbing his soul like a dry sponge on kool-aid.

Which would explain a few things about Abel's charming personality...

Tapewolf

Quote from: MaskedRetriever on January 03, 2007, 10:38:29 AMI think Abel's about to accidentially eat Devin.

I'm pretty sure soul-eating is an acquired ability rather than an intrinsic one like emotion absorption.  If he did, we wouldn't actually know from a narrative point of view, since Abel knows nothing about it and he wouldn't know what happened, and there isn't really anyone else around who's wise enough in the ways of the 'cubi to tell him what he just did.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

I was thinking more along the lines of Abel's attacker kidnapping him, as opposed to Fa'Lina working for SAIA. As for why, I was thinking maybe if it happened to be his relative, to get him out of the danger zone, or if it's just a random Cubi or Creature, to use as a meat shield.

As for the concept of Abel accidentally eating Devin's soul... I'm going to agree with Tapewolf. As much of an emotional blow as it would be for Abel (and quite the plot twist *hula dances*), I can't really imagine it happening involuntarily as opposed to it being a learned skill.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

I know and it wasn't my idea to begin with, but it brings up an interesting point - how does Abel get to SAIA, if neither of his parents are 'cubi?  I'm thinking that someone at Zinvth sponsors him, say for example the doctor that Abel's parents will presumably take him to when he runs home with wings coming out of his head.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 03, 2007, 01:17:21 PM
I know and it wasn't my idea to begin with, but it brings up an interesting point - how does Abel get to SAIA, if neither of his parents are 'cubi?  I'm thinking that someone at Zinvth sponsors him, say for example the doctor that Abel's parents will presumably take him to when he runs home with wings coming out of his head.

What about Kria? If she still has a teaching career or is still in Zinvth, maybe she would help Abel out?

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 03, 2007, 01:47:17 PM
What about Kria? If she still has a teaching career or is still in Zinvth, maybe she would help Abel out?

Uh. She might be having fun and all, but she's not part of SAIA...

Well. Not unless there's things going on that Amber hasn't shown us yet. Any bets? :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mel Dragonkitty

There is probably some sort of orphan and foundling provision at SAIA, especially if Falina is as adoption crazy as she currently appears. Anyone want to donate to the "Orphans of Adventurer Hunters" Scholarship fund?
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

superluser

I'm speculating that if Abel eats Devin's soul, he's gonna know that he's eating it.  The only circumstances that I can think of when that would happen would be if the creature on the roof were trying to get Devin's soul for some nefarious purpose.

Quote from: Mel Dragonkitty on January 03, 2007, 02:40:29 PMThere is probably some sort of orphan and foundling provision at SAIA

Abel's 24.  I don't think he qualifies as an orphan.  Even 400 years ago, Abel would be well past any age of majority.  Even among `cubi, medieval times can be a harsh mistress.

Scratch even.  400 years ago, the age of majority would probably be somewhere in your early teens.

Mel Dragonkitty

I didn't mean orphan in the strictly traditional sence. More of a Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization for cubi without clans.
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 03, 2007, 02:16:50 PM

Well. Not unless there's things going on that Amber hasn't shown us yet. Any bets? :-)

Well, you don't necessarily have to be part of SAIA to send in a submission form, do you? O_o

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Netami

The librarian is a mythos, but I think they just keep her around for the tentacles.

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 03, 2007, 04:43:37 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 03, 2007, 02:16:50 PM

Well, you don't necessarily have to be part of SAIA to send in a submission form, do you? O_o

~Keaton the Black Jackal
Well, you'd have to know about it, request one (probably), and provide a large amount of detailed information. (A comic said this, I forget which.) Theoretically, his non-cubi parent (be it May, Cid, or both) would be able to provide this information, but I doubt his teacher would know enough about him to be able to do it.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

superluser

Quote from: modelincard on January 03, 2007, 04:51:24 PMWell, you'd have to know about it, request one (probably), and provide a large amount of detailed information. (A comic said this, I forget which.) Theoretically, his non-cubi parent (be it May, Cid, or both) would be able to provide this information, but I doubt his teacher would know enough about him to be able to do it.

I got the impression that the application was largely a formality, and that just about all applicants get accepted, provided that they are `cubi.

I wonder if anyone's ever tried the old enroll a pig prank at SAIA?

Faerie Alex

Found it:
http://dmfa.wikia.com/wiki/SAIA

Scroll down a bit, second paragraph under "Application."
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Tapewolf

Quote from: modelincard on January 03, 2007, 07:53:52 PM
Found it:

But where did Sid get that from in the first place?  Part of it is from this:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php?topic=1438.msg56515#msg56515

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 03, 2007, 08:21:52 PM
Quote from: modelincard on January 03, 2007, 07:53:52 PM
Found it:

But where did Sid get that from in the first place?  Part of it is from this:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php?topic=1438.msg56515#msg56515

What about Destina maybe she had a extra form just in case when Abel was born. Maybe she must of asked Kira to get a form through her connections at SAIA to get the form and henceforth landing it at Sid's hands. What about Fi maybe Destina call him and asked him for that favor to get that form for her. I have to stop I'm getting  headache for the spouting off these theories.

Aridas

I'm amazed that it took thought to come up with that crap >_>