1-8-7 Alright...

Started by Manawolf, January 07, 2007, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 08, 2007, 05:34:01 AMI think the key difference is one of scale.  In the 'disasters' arc, Dan and Aary were trying to kill each other.

Well, I don't think that Dan had any designs on Aary.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 08, 2007, 05:34:01 AMThis time around, Wildy simply hit Abel in the nuts, and Abel responded by ejecting them all from the inn in true bouncer style.
Since none of them were seriously threatened, there wasn't much need for her to step in.  If it was Mab rather than Dan who had interrupted the Abel/Pyroduck fight, that might have been different since the stakes were much, much higher.

The theory's sound.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on January 08, 2007, 05:44:22 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on January 08, 2007, 05:34:01 AMI think the key difference is one of scale.  In the 'disasters' arc, Dan and Aary were trying to kill each other.

Well, I don't think that Dan had any designs on Aary.

True, in fact he vowed not to fight 'cubi, although he did later throw swords at her and threaten her with a crossbow.
I was thinking more of 'Dan was trying to kill her in self-defence'...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kasarn

If forced to, Mab would just give everybody a timeout :)

Pentawolf

Pent: Or huggle them untill they stop fighting...  She is.. worrisome.. its difficult to tell what goes on in her head.

Aurissa: Oh comeon.. its not that hard!

Pent: Aurissa.. I have trouble figureing out what goes through YOUR head.. and I FIXED yours.

Aurissa: .... jerk.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on January 07, 2007, 11:36:54 PM
I've gotta go with (1).  Sucker punching people is not going to encourage them to seek out your help, and unless you intend to drive a wedge between your patients and all of their emotional supports, it's not going to help them to solve problems on their own.

Yeah, but I bet Abel feels better.... :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ShiningShadow

Abel needs to rein back his emotions. But I love the sucker punch *YEAHHHHHH* now he needs more training for the Dragon fire sucker punch *SUCKER PUNCH-DOOKEN!!!!!* >:3 >:3.

Sid

Abel seems to have a habit of doing that to people who have the potential to retaliate... a dragon, an adventurer, and now an adventurer with wing tentacles...
Ah well, not much else to say, I guess...

Quote from: superluser on January 07, 2007, 11:56:52 PM
Quote from: modelincard on January 07, 2007, 11:25:22 PMTrue, but there's no holes for his wings.

Are we sure about that?  The closest that I can find is 710, and we can't see the back that clearly.  It would seem odd that Merlitz wouldn't have holes for his wings just in case he had to perform some magic...

Pretty sure that the robe doesn't have a hole in the back. Otherwise he wouldn't have had to take it off for Fi to see his Clan mark in 697.
Besides, the flame wings seem to be disconnected from the body (kinda like the wings Jyrras had), so Merlitz didn't need holes in the back (from what I remember), either.
:boogie

Jinni

I think Dan did deserve it, what he did was dumb and if Alexi finds out he is likly to be hit with a mallet. I think he's in a bit of trouble here, he will eventually have to tell Jyrras, and that may make him even more angry. although in general he seems like a down to earth guy, so i guess we shall see.

Sid

Quote from: Jinni on January 08, 2007, 08:29:42 AM
I think Dan did deserve it, what he did was dumb and if Alexi finds out he is likly to be hit with a mallet.

I think Dan didn't get smacked for fooling Jyrras, but rather for overcomplicating things and being close to to an emo trip or a nervous breakdown. ;)
:boogie

Turnsky

Quote from: Sid on January 08, 2007, 08:52:00 AM
I think Dan did deserve it, what he did was dumb and if Alexi finds out he is likly to be hit with a mallet.

I think Dan didn't get smacked for fooling Jyrras, but rather for overcomplicating things and being close to to an emo trip or a nervous breakdown. ;)

not to mention the sucker-punch headed off a potential whinefest ;)

on another note, hope you feel better soon, amber.  :)

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

MT Hazard

I kept wondering at what point between real world violence and cartoon violence DMFA is. Dan seems to recover in minute or so from light to medium physical trauma. Perhaps just because its annoying to have him limping and bleeding all the time.

Is it wrong to continuously attack some one like Dan just because he can take it? How many times has he been hit in the head in the last few days of the story? Would there every be a female character who gets beaten up by male characters all the time ? will I ever stop asking questions that have been asked before?

I get the feeling I could be opening old wounds and then pouring salt in them.

Of course I could be wrong...
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

RushFox

Quote from: Turnsky on January 08, 2007, 09:50:21 AM
Quote from: Sid on January 08, 2007, 08:52:00 AM

not to mention the sucker-punch headed off a potential whinefest ;)

on another note, hope you feel better soon, amber.  :)

Hmm, I guess Cubi on average have no patience for whining and moaning.

I think this has happened before to Dan for the same reasons, except it was Fa'Lina, with the Cyra Clan picture.

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_493.php
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_501.php

Turnsky

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 08, 2007, 10:23:25 AM
I kept wondering at what point between real world violence and cartoon violence DMFA is. Dan seems to recover in minute or so from light to medium physical trauma. Perhaps just because its annoying to have him limping and bleeding all the time.

Is it wrong to continuously attack some one like Dan just because he can take it? How many times has he been hit in the head in the last few days of the story? Would there every be a female character who gets beaten up by male characters all the time ? will I ever stop asking questions that have been asked before?

I get the feeling I could be opening old wounds and then pouring salt in them.

Of course I could be wrong...

it's called being a "pain magnet"  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Stygian

Yes, and it seems that violence to that magnet is all we're going to see here... Damn. Comical violence is in order for this comic, but I can't help but favour the serious kind that instead turns out unexpectedly. Though admittedly, that kind is harder to get right.

Sunblink

Ahh, I don't care how many times the sucker-punch appears, it just never gets old. XD

I think Dan did deserve it, what he did was dumb and if Alexi finds out he is likly to be hit with a mallet. I think he's in a bit of trouble here, he will eventually have to tell Jyrras, and that may make him even more angry. although in general he seems like a down to earth guy, so i guess we shall see.

Agreed--I DO believe that Dan deserved that little sock to the face after his spiel about Cubi... you'd think he would've learned after his revelation in page 651. Then again, Abel didn't exactly discourage such thinking.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

ShiningShadow

But you cna't help but laugh at Dan's expense.

Stygian

Yes, I very much can, because I know this situation, and certain parts of it I don't find funny. Sure, it's very well done, but some of it I find less than probable.

But most of all it's the part that Abel so eloquently expressed as "Dirrh, I'm dan!" that ticks me off. Of course everyone screws up, but to have the male lead being that much of an idiot isn't funny. The only one who seems to act sensibly at all anymore in fact is Abel, the way I see it.

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 08, 2007, 06:10:29 AMYeah, but I bet Abel feels better.... :-)

I never said that he didn't, just that he was a jerk.  (there had been speculation that Abel wasn't a jerk, but rather that he was doing some higher-level emotional jiggery-pokery)

Quote from: Sid on January 08, 2007, 07:31:57 AMPretty sure that the robe doesn't have a hole in the back. Otherwise he wouldn't have had to take it off for Fi to see his Clan mark in 697.
Besides, the flame wings seem to be disconnected from the body (kinda like the wings Jyrras had), so Merlitz didn't need holes in the back (from what I remember), either.

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be a large slice, like Dan's robe.  It could be two small slits, like Jyrras' slit for his tail.

Alan Garou

If Abel's not careful, he's gonna get carpal punchel syndrome. But he is right about Dan needing to face the music.

Sunblink

Now that I think about it, there could be a certain plot significance to the fact Dan didn't want Abel to change the color of his eyes. There might be a possibility that if he DOES confront Jyrras, he'll be able to identify Dan through the color of his eyes (after all, Alexsi's eyes are blue).

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Aridas

But that was before any of that happened. He was trying to avoid eyepain.

terrycloth

It wasn't planned ahead of time, no, but Dan might point it out, so that Jyrras doesn't blame Alexei, or Jyrras could twig to it on his own.

Zedd

Todays strip is brought you by the letter..I and the song  Manamana!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

KarlOmega1

In the panel where Abel sucker-punched Dan, makes me think of the "Mortal Kombat" theme being played....
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

terrycloth

Now I'm imagining Cubi 'finishing moves'.

Boog

... Scorpian-cubus? Or Reptile-cubus? Either way, they have finishing moves that seem cubiesque.

Zedd

Quote from: Boogeyman on January 08, 2007, 07:38:14 PM
... Scorpian-cubus? Or Reptile-cubus? Either way, they have finishing moves that seem cubiesque.

Tentacle slap! *swats boogy with one his wing tentacles*

superluser

You know, I think Dan is ignoring the best way to sort this out.  He runs off to Jyrras, tells him that Alexsi said that Jyrras had something top-secret to tell him, and asks him what it was.  Jyrras tries to change the subject by talking about Dan's shiner, and Dan explains that Abel's a jerk.

Jyrras then explains that he is falling for Abel, and Dan then steers the conversation to other fish in the sea (though the only other man at LL is Pyro), and Jyrras screws up his courage to explain his crush on Dan.  At which point, Dan explains that Alexsi was kidnapped earlier today...

I had a whole script for a series of three-panel strips for this, but I chucked it because it was (1) long, and (2) probably encroaching on Amber's space.  I will, however, keep this line:

Quote...in a Radio Flyer.  And that's why Abel is a bad choice.

Kenji

It's gonna turn into that overused scene with Dan and Jyrras running through a field of flowers in slow motion. Which will abruptly end when Alexsi, filled in on the situation, somehow gets between them and golf swings Dan with the mallet. o:
It's true, I tell you!  :eager