12-22-2006 Pink Poodle Returns

Started by Manawolf, December 21, 2006, 10:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psaakyrn

One has to consider whether Destinia's thoughts on species genocide is actually in line with general cubi beliefs though.

My thoughts:
a) However unlikely, Biggs is actually manipulating Destinia. (remember, only he has the information, why not "twist" it slightly to his advantage?)
b) The dragons (in general) believe the Ti'fonia family line to be of sufficient importance to justify "kidnapping". (note, we don't really know this to be true, since the information is only from Biggs.)
c) Pyro is not in agreeance (sp?) with the dragons (in general), and decide to step in, to prevent mishap to Dan, and the possibly eventual conflict.
d) The dragons already knows where Dan is. (it's not as if he's the quiet type of adventurer, and even if he wasn't, the Demons and other races (e.g. Fae) knows anyway.)
e) There is a long-standing rivary between Cyra clan and Dragons. Perhaps related to this portion of Demo 101: "Those that even bother to associate with other races are usually doing it for their own benefit and it isn't uncommon to hear of how a dragon double-crossed a powerful demon or cubi in order to further its own means."
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Aisha deCabre

Hooooly crud, and Fa'Lina makes an appearance finally.  I wonder where she was all that time.  It seems that she'd be able to teleport right quickly whence Fi got to her, unless she was stopped by Hot Pockets again.   :B

I wonder, Pyroduck might've known that he was getting into some Cubi trouble...circumstances being what they are, I guess he's quite confident he'll stand a chance if he didn't head for the hills already.   :erk
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Madd the Sane

Quote from: Miss MabHa! I bet that was why you put your hand in it!
I just realized that that is referencing comic 698

And yes, Psaakyrn, you do have many good points, especially letter e.

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on December 22, 2006, 12:00:17 AM
I wonder, Pyroduck might've known that he was getting into some Cubi trouble...circumstances being what they are, I guess he's quite confident he'll stand a chance if he didn't head for the hills already.   :erk
That or he didn't care  >:3  He might have loved Alexi too much for a little Cubi vs. Dragon thing to get in the way.  :giggle

And, as always Amber:  :eager  :eager  :eager
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

superluser

Quote from: Psaakyrn on December 21, 2006, 11:58:54 PMOne has to consider whether Destinia's thoughts on species genocide is actually in line with general cubi beliefs though.

Genocide is generally one of those things that is considered bad across all cultures.  It's extremely rare to find something like that, and so you'll hear that often used as a counterexample for moral relativism.

Quote from: Psaakyrn on December 21, 2006, 11:58:54 PMMy thoughts:
a) However unlikely, Biggs is actually manipulating Destinia. (remember, only he has the information, why not "twist" it slightly to his advantage?)
b) The dragons (in general) believe the Ti'fonia family line to be of sufficient importance to justify "kidnapping". (note, we don't really know this to be true, since the information is only from Biggs.)
d) The dragons already knows where Dan is. (it's not as if he's the quiet type of adventurer, and even if he wasn't, the Demons and other races (e.g. Fae) knows anyway.)

a) Destania could easily read Biggs' mind and find out the real deal.
b) That's very probably true, since Destania probably left for TT when she found out that Ed was kidnapped.
d) Yeah, plus Dan has had varied dealings with dragons already.

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on December 22, 2006, 12:00:17 AMunless she was stopped by Hot Pockets again.   :B

*cough* Hot Pockets?  I don't get how that would distract anyone.  Let alone a succubus.  You suppose they have a `cubi version?  Soul Pocket!  Maybe they have a version of the Lean Pocket?  Oh, I don't want to fill up on personality.  I'll just have the Emotion Pocket.

I wonder if the `cubi versions still give you the trademark indigestion?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Psaakyrn

Quote from: superluser on December 22, 2006, 12:23:30 AM
Quote from: Psaakyrn on December 21, 2006, 11:58:54 PMOne has to consider whether Destinia's thoughts on species genocide is actually in line with general cubi beliefs though.

Genocide is generally one of those things that is considered bad across all cultures.  It's extremely rare to find something like that, and so you'll hear that often used as a counterexample for moral relativism.

Quote from: Psaakyrn on December 21, 2006, 11:58:54 PMMy thoughts:

a) Destania could easily read Biggs' mind and find out the real deal.
b) That's very probably true, since Destania probably left for TT when she found out that Ed was kidnapped.
d) Yeah, plus Dan has had varied dealings with dragons already.

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on December 22, 2006, 12:00:17 AMunless she was stopped by Hot Pockets again.   :B

*cough* Hot Pockets?  I don't get how that would distract anyone.  Let alone a succubus.  You suppose they have a `cubi version?  Soul Pocket!  Maybe they have a version of the Lean Pocket?  Oh, I don't want to fill up on personality.  I'll just have the Emotion Pocket.

I wonder if the `cubi versions still give you the trademark indigestion?

You put too much confidence in Destinia's mindreading capability and too little in Bigg's own capabilities. Considering that it appears that Biggs appears to be in the creature/being council, I would think that he would at least know how to use a mind shield. (I wonder if the first meeting between Biggs and Dan was orchestrated, right up to him beng pwned by his sister)

On other notes, I think it's conclusive that Alexi doesn't know thay Pyro is a dragon, cause unlike Biggs, she has no reason at all to have a mind shield.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Grenn

Actually, the way I read it from panel to panel, Falaffle is right behind Lexi and Mab, and just snagged Pyro, pinning him to the ground.

So Mab's talking to Pyro, and in the 2nd panel, Pyro is under us and behind just a little me thinks.

In the 3rd, Mab and Lexi are behind us.

Just how I took it :)

superluser

Quote from: Psaakyrn on December 22, 2006, 12:31:05 AMYou put too much confidence in Destinia's mindreading capability and too little in Bigg's own capabilities. Considering that it appears that Biggs appears to be in the creature/being council, I would think that he would at least know how to use a mind shield. (I wonder if the first meeting between Biggs and Dan was orchestrated, right up to him beng pwned by his sister)

Well, I don't think that all creatures can read minds, and just because you're on the same council doesn't mean that you're going to share information about how to keep other council members from getting into your business.  Especially if that makes it less likely that votes would go your way.

It seems unlikely that Biggs would have a mind shield on for years on end, and it also seems highly unlikely that Biggs would put mind shields on his underlings, who would have to interact with Destania every once in a while.

Quote from: Psaakyrn on December 22, 2006, 12:31:05 AMOn other notes, I think it's conclusive that Alexi doesn't know thay Pyro is a dragon, cause unlike Biggs, she has no reason at all to have a mind shield.

What you say could make sense.  Memories are very malleable, and it may be that when people who don't know dragons see one, they just sort of reform the image to something comfortable, like Death.  Which would explain why Fa'Lina never saw the dragon in everybody's minds at SAIA.

Quote from: Grenn on December 22, 2006, 12:41:20 AMSo Mab's talking to Pyro, and in the 2nd panel, Pyro is under us and behind just a little me thinks.

But Alexsi has already mentioned that Pyro is gone by the time Mab speaks.  Surely she wouldn't continue talking to someone who has just been established to be gone.

Madd the Sane

Quote from: superluser on December 22, 2006, 12:23:30 AM

*cough* Hot Pockets?  I don't get how that would distract anyone.  Let alone a succubus. 
I believe she was talking about Fi.  Fi loves Hot Pockets.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Tiger_T

What was Fa'Linas favourite food again?

Anyway... It can't be Biggs's doing. He's much too young for that.
Remember him mentioning the whole "friend of the family for generations"-thing. ;)
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

superluser

Quote from: Madd the Sane on December 22, 2006, 12:54:54 AMI believe she was talking about Fi.  Fi loves Hot Pockets.

That's right.  Now I feel stupid.  I suppose it's OK to eat them if you don't actually exist in this dimension.  Maybe that's the next venture for Hot Pockets: Dimension Pocket!

(Plus, I can't pass up a chance to make a Hot Pocket joke)

Quote from: Tiger_T on December 22, 2006, 01:07:13 AMWhat was Fa'Linas favourite food again?

Muffins.  I might suggest blueberry muffins of death:

Quote from: superluser on November 01, 2006, 12:59:18 PMLast year or so, someone died in the apartment below me.  Whatever they used to cover up the stench smelled like blueberry muffins.  But it wasn't quite strong enough to cover the smell of a dead body, so Blueberry Muffins of Death.

DigitalMan

I actually can't tell whether she wants to kill Pyro, or is just giving him a friendly greeting. That's frightening.

Sienna Maiu - M T

oooh... I'm sensing some drama-rama around the corner :3

e_voyager

Expected but funny none the less. also unless some one it thinking about something at the moment a  surface probe is not likely to pick up on it.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Manawolf

Okay, this whole telepathy thing is really starting to get old.  I liked it better when it was just used for nonoral communication.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Manawolf on December 22, 2006, 01:53:09 AM
Okay, this whole telepathy thing is really starting to get old.  I liked it better when it was just used for nonoral communication.

...I have no clue what you are talking about.  Is this tied to anything in particular cause your context is rather left-field here.

Manawolf

No, I'm just realizing something I should avoid myself.

Note: if you have a race that can read minds, don't have too many of them show up in your story.  It's only going to lead to rampant speculation.

I think the thread speaks for itself on the issue.

As for what I mean in using telepathy for nonoral communication, I just mean you can actively send messages to and from a telepath if you put effort into it, but the telepath can't just read your thoughts nonchalantly, like every cubi did in that hallway back in SAIA.

Amber Williams

*shrugs* It doesnt bug me so much. I've already said time and time again there's a big difference between thought-reading and flat out mind-reading.   If people still want to think  otherwise thats their call.  It just means they are wrong and I laugh at them from afar. :3

Manawolf

It's still something I should take note of since I want to be a proffessional fantasy writer.  I really don't want my readers trying to sift through the meanings and what not.  That's one of the things I hate the most about College English classes.

Teacher: "Note the gay undertones in this passage."

Me: "Wait, what?"

Rowne

Hm, telepathy doesn't make them open beings I suppose.  I think the whole point of this is rather similar to a program wherein one can read output from the program, via output logs, save files, debugging tools et cetera but one cannot ascertain the history of it or pick at any of its secrets, one would need the source for that.  What does this have to do with anything?  Not much.

Anyway, I have to say that this storyline is a little odd for DMFA standard, don't get me wrong I still like it but it seems a little more ... I can't say dark because it's not but perhaps involved than past storylines?  I'm not sure what the word is that one would colloquially use in this situation but it's still different.

I'm finding that I like Mab more, and more, and more lately as she has proved to be something of an anchor, everyone's getting involved in this rather portentious storyline and Mab's just ... doing Mab things, I respect her for that.

I hope it doesn't turn out that Mab has a dark history or that Mab'll finally snap and turn into a peculiar Warlord Fae -- not wholly unlike Mr. Mxyzptlk in a certain alternate-Universe Superman storyline -- as that'll just get her noticed by this storyline and I'll have lost my anchor.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: superluser on December 22, 2006, 12:47:31 AM
It seems unlikely that Biggs would have a mind shield on for years on end, and it also seems highly unlikely that Biggs would put mind shields on his underlings, who would have to interact with Destania every once in a while.

But maybe Biggs' "lucky medallion" is a mind shield amulet.

Manawolf, if the author has no forum, the readers' speculations don't feed off each other and gain a monstrous life of their own. :mowwink
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

superluser

Quote from: Manawolf on December 22, 2006, 02:29:43 AMIt's still something I should take note of since I want to be a proffessional fantasy writer.  I really don't want my readers trying to sift through the meanings and what not.

Huh?  That's kind of pointless then, isn't it?

Good literature should focus on themes and motifs.  See, for example, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man or The Crying of Lot 49.

Good fantasy usually falls into those categories.  The Lord of the Rings, Beowulf, Dune, Harry Potter, even the Discworld series all have heavy focus on themes and motifs.

Quote from: Manawolf on December 22, 2006, 02:29:43 AMTeacher: "Note the gay undertones in this passage."

Well, if you're reading Oscar Wilde or Edward Albee, it's probably pretty important to recognize them.

Manawolf

I suppose it's my motivation.  I just want to write a story for, well, the story.  The actual happenings, not the supposed underlying meaning behind those happenings.  I guess it comes with my straightforward attitude.  I don't want to jerk around my readers too much.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sid on December 21, 2006, 10:31:28 PM
WHOOHOO! *does the Fa'Lina dance of joy* And is it just me, or did Fa'Lina get at the very least a small graphics update? I think also a minor wardrobe change, if the one strap to the neck piece counts.
Yeah, well wearing the same dress for 9000 years can get a bit old :P

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 21, 2006, 10:58:06 PM
I know what Amber is going to do.  Cutscene.

Perhaps.  She just did that though.  Unless she's going to do the CCTV thing and give each scene a single strip in turn..

Quote from: Fresnor on December 21, 2006, 10:36:13 PM
Hmm, so Pyro and Fa'lina know each other... Just how high ranking is Pyro in the dragon heirarchy anyways?  Realy thinking pretty high if those two know each other and are still alive

I'm wondering if he's on the 'cubi side and Abel doesn't know.

Quote from: Psaakyrn on December 21, 2006, 11:58:54 PM
e) There is a long-standing rivary between Cyra clan and Dragons. Perhaps related to this portion of Demo 101: "Those that even bother to associate with other races are usually doing it for their own benefit and it isn't uncommon to hear of how a dragon double-crossed a powerful demon or cubi in order to further its own means."

I'm wondering if it was the dragons who called for the extermination of the 'cubi race as implied by http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_508.php

Even if that's the case, I still find it hard to believe Destania is planning genocide.  That's Abel's Story material.  Surely it's something slightly more humane..

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

terrycloth

QuoteI suppose it's my motivation.  I just want to write a story for, well, the story.  The actual happenings, not the supposed underlying meaning behind those happenings.  I guess it comes with my straightforward attitude.  I don't want to jerk around my readers too much.

Don't worry, the underlying meanings don't actually exist.

Or if you'd rather, DO worry, because no matter how straightforward and open you make your writing, someone will be able to deconstruct it into a commentary on the sexual habits of convicted felons.

(As for the comic, I'm guessing Pyro is at the very least out of sight, probably teleported away a short distance. Also, angry Fi is so cool. :giggle)

Jack McSlay

anyone else noticed the pic from the Nice box for DMFA changed from matilda to regina (even tho the text still refers to matilda)

*speculates*
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Kasarn

Quote from: Jack McSlay on December 22, 2006, 04:23:30 AM
anyone else noticed the pic from the Nice box for DMFA changed from matilda to regina (even tho the text still refers to matilda)

*speculates*

I do believe Amber said that the next arcs are Regina's intro and then Mab's own arc. Perhaps it was the other way around; it doesn't really matter since she could just change her mind.

Alondro

Hmmm... telepathy and species conflict... reminds me of something I can twist.   >:3

Pyro in Lab outfit:  The cubi seem to use some sort of extrasensory perception, telepathy...

(BEE-WOOP-BEE-WOOP!!)

*In the room, the dragon general, a few officers, and the dragon president come close to the magical restraining shield and sees Pyro hoisted up with a wing tentacle around his neck!  Still, he tries to reason with the evil cubi*  I know there is much we can learn from each other.  Can there be a peace between us?

*cubi, speaking through Pyro*  Peace... no peace...

*dragon president*  What do you want us to do?

*cubi, through Pyro*  Dieeeee... dieeeeee... dieeeee...

*buzzing in president's head!*  Aieeeee!

*dragon general*  Is that magic shield element-proof?

*dragon officer*  No sir!  *attack!  The Cubi is taken out... but Pyro is already dead*   >:3

Independence Day for dragons!   :giggle
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Chaos

Quote from: Manawolf on December 22, 2006, 02:29:43 AM
It's still something I should take note of since I want to be a professional fantasy writer.  I really don't want my readers trying to sift through the meanings and what not.  That's one of the things I hate the most about College English classes.

Teacher: "Note the gay undertones in this passage."

You know what I hate about English class? To Kill a fricking Mockingbird. The book SUCK to the nth degree. I mean, it's a sniveling piece of drivel that is only famous due thousands of English Teachers saying that it's a great piece of literature, WHY? Cause they were told by THERE teachers that it was a great piece of literature? Same with 1984... For gods sakes, it's a fricking book about how much the world can SUCK!!! All the while great books, really in depth books that I would really love to dissect, such as the lord of the rings (which I hate) are ignored! Why? cause it's not a great piece of literature! Why, CAUSE IT ISN'T!!! Or you know what? Fifth Business... English classes take that great book, AND KILLS IT!!!  English classes take EVERY great book and kills it. Who here likes Shakespeare, NO ONE? Why? It only reminds us of homework!

When literature becomes work, that's when we fail.

Higher education sucks, and anyone who takes it ends up being nothing more than a sheep. So, Screw you, Manawolf. You want to go out there and create MORE frikkin homework for me. More frikkin stuff for me to read, and I know it's not guaranteed, however, it doesn't matter. Either your stuff will be drivel that will be celebrated, great stuff that will Driven to the ground, or more GOD DAMMED ROMANCE Novels. You know what, I hate romance novels, I've dated too many girls that want the god dammed fantasy. Or you go out like Elizabeth Hayden, create a Mary Sue, and go and ruin more potential toilet paper. Or worse, you'll be GREAT, and thus another cool book that will be nothing but ignored will be created, and another reason for me (and thus everyone else, cause I'm always right) to be pissed at books. So Thank you Manawolf...

BECAUSE OF YOU CHILDREN IN AFRICA CANNOT READ!!!

bill

You didn't really read TKAM, did you?  :rolleyes

secondwolf

With all the shape changers and secret identities in the comic, one of the characters in the comic will probably end up with multiple personalities. My main bet is going to be Dan (Danlexsi, Alexsi, Dan, Cubi Dan) :)