[Epsilon Chapter 46]

Started by Starcat5, January 11, 2024, 06:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starcat5

46-01 - It's all in the presentation.

Hah! Classic. "I have good news and bad news. Technically it is the exact same news, but the consequences both good and bad require it to be listed twice."  :mwaha
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Infranscia

This one got me laughing. XD  I'm guessing there are both good and bad aspects to this situation?  Hence the way Daryil presented it?
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Infranscia on January 12, 2024, 01:11:09 AMThis one got me laughing. XD  I'm guessing there are both good and bad aspects to this situation?  Hence the way Daryil presented it?

That's the thought I had, but we'll have to wait and see. Meanwhile, Daryil's aforementioned presentation put me somewhat in mind of the Cat from Red Dwarf. "*mournful tone* We ain't gonna find 'em [Kryten and Rimmer]. They're gone, buddy. But look on the bright side. *suddenly chipper* They're gone, buddy!"

Starcat5

Quote from: Infranscia on January 12, 2024, 01:11:09 AMThis one got me laughing. XD  I'm guessing there are both good and bad aspects to this situation?  Hence the way Daryil presented it?

Daryil had to hide the fact that he faked Richard's Dad's death and couldn't tell him about it so it would be convincing. This had the knock-on effect of giving Richard undeserved trauma.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Starcat5 on January 12, 2024, 05:21:55 AM

Daryil had to hide the fact that he faked Richard's Dad's death and couldn't tell him about it so it would be convincing. This had the knock-on effect of giving Richard undeserved trauma.

That is technically a possibility, but I'll wager five quid it's the more likely scenario of Daryil uploading Callahan's soul into an android body. I'm content to leave the question of how he retrieved the soul after the execution to be answered in the next page.

Starcat5

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on January 13, 2024, 03:11:31 AM
Quote from: Starcat5 on January 12, 2024, 05:21:55 AM

That is technically a possibility, but I'll wager five quid it's the more likely scenario of Daryil uploading Callahan's soul into an android body. I'm content to leave the question of how he retrieved the soul after the execution to be answered in the next page.

Sucker bet in my favor. Remember, the body had a non-functional brain, and Daryil has been experimenting with non-standard Avatars. 44-01 through 44-03 heavily imply more is at play than a simple Android body as well.

Starcat5

46-02 - This is a bit like berating the Pope

There we go. One emotional cocktail of Happiness, Sorrow, Hope, Despair, and Cubi knows what else. Served up fresh to an audience who is not enjoying it one bit.  >:3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Starcat5 on January 18, 2024, 04:05:01 PMThere we go. One emotional cocktail of Happiness, Sorrow, Hope, Despair, and Cubi knows what else. Served up fresh to an audience who is not enjoying it one bit.  >:3

This of course being why Syd and Sheila were brought along, in case they're needed to provide emotional support.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Starcat5 on January 18, 2024, 04:05:01 PM46-02 - This is a bit like berating the Pope

There we go. One emotional cocktail of Happiness, Sorrow, Hope, Despair, and Cubi knows what else. Served up fresh to an audience who is not enjoying it one bit.  >:3

On another note, I owe you five quid.

Starcat5

46-03 - Confessions of a Clan Leader

Not much to add here. Just spelling things out to the wee bairn. And no, I didn't pick that expression just to be verbose. It just popped into my head while typing, and then I spent 20 minutes trying different spellings in Google until it offered up the correct one.  :erk

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Starcat5 on January 25, 2024, 10:30:02 PM46-03 - Confessions of a Clan Leader

Not much to add here. Just spelling things out to the wee bairn. And no, I didn't pick that expression just to be verbose. It just popped into my head while typing, and then I spent 20 minutes trying different spellings in Google until it offered up the correct one.  :erk

Aye, Scots terms have their charms.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Starcat5 on January 25, 2024, 10:30:02 PMNot much to add here. Just spelling things out to the wee bairn.

To be fair, it would look bad if Daryil wasn't seen to apologise to Richard for putting him through the emotional turmoil of thinking he's lost a parent and not being able to tell him otherwise.

And, even though Callahan is liable to spend the foreseeable future in the base where they can protect him and provide the support he needs not to relapse into murder and certain execution, having Richard blurt out about his father still being alive would still complicate matters.

It helps them that the Prof assumes that Callahan never existed, but if Richard challenges that viewpoint, then he may behave unpredictably, especially if Lady Finch isn't there to sway his opinion.

Starcat5

46-04 - How to fake someone else's death

Panel three: The word bubble is pointing towards the wrong character.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Starcat5 on February 01, 2024, 08:25:23 PM46-04 - How to fake someone else's death

Panel three: The word bubble is pointing towards the wrong character.

That'll have to be fixed when I get home tomorrow

Starcat5

46-05 - Trust exercise

Well, that is half of the economical truth. I presume that the other half will show up next week.

Liatai

Aye. 14-07 has Daryil saying "Remember, Callahan, I put you up to this" re: breaking a clan tenet. That sounded to me like he was "voluntold" to do the job, especially with his nebulous "past deeds" mentioned in 14-08.

Good show with the foreshadowing, with Daryil reacting so strongly to "Callahan's" death! It was very easy to read as a clan leader's reaction to losing a member, which I'm sure was what it was passed off as by Fa'rana! Honestly, I'm pretty impressed Daryil was able to stay lucid and cogent.

Especially given the energy expenditure likely required to grow a full adult-sized clone of someone that fast! They probably didn't have the clone on ice in the 24+ years since Callahan last got in touch with Daryil, and it can't have been more than a few months since this started... not to mention there were probably quite a few false starts. Biological tissue is a lot more finicky with assembly than machine parts. x3; Fella was probably sipping on Soul Food at a rate unseen since his pre-ascension days.

Starcat5

Quote from: Liatai on February 08, 2024, 11:58:36 PMHonestly, I'm pretty impressed Daryil was able to stay lucid and cogent.

Especially given the energy expenditure likely required to grow a full adult-sized clone of someone that fast!
To be fair, they have machines for 3d Printing the clone, so the "energy expenditure" for Daryil was limited to piloting the organic drone. Not that the tech in question has been mentioned since the pre-Epsilon days. Either way, the power required came out of a wall socket, not the Clan Leader.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Liatai on February 08, 2024, 11:58:36 PMAye. 14-07 has Daryil saying "Remember, Callahan, I put you up to this" re: breaking a clan tenet. That sounded to me like he was "voluntold" to do the job, especially with his nebulous "past deeds" mentioned in 14-08.

We get to hear more about that later, but short version is he offered to be Daryil's sleeper agent in exchange for keeping his head on.  That will be next chapter as we have to catch up with Finch first.

Liatai

Ahhh, that all makes sense! Cool cool. :3

Starcat5

46-06 - The shoe drops

Look boss man, I know you like your terror with a side of confusion, but this clearly mock punishment to wipe the slate clean really should be handled better. The boy has enough mental scars as it is, and may very well panic and act out on incomplete information just like his mother did. -_(\

Tapewolf

Quote from: Starcat5 on February 15, 2024, 09:23:32 PM46-06 - The shoe drops

Look boss man, I know you like your terror with a side of confusion, but this clearly mock punishment to wipe the slate clean really should be handled better. The boy has enough mental scars as it is, and may very well panic and act out on incomplete information just like his mother did. -_(\

On the other hand, if Richard is ushered out of the room, will he truly believe that his father has earned forgiveness, or will he spend the foreseeable future worrying that Daryil is suddenly going to bereave him?

Starcat5

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 16, 2024, 04:22:07 AM
Quote from: Starcat5 on February 15, 2024, 09:23:32 PM46-06 - The shoe drops

On the other hand, if Richard is ushered out of the room, will he truly believe that his father has earned forgiveness, or will he spend the foreseeable future worrying that Daryil is suddenly going to bereave him?

We agree on the end point, but not the leadup. In that last panel Richard thinks that Daryil is going to bereave him right now! Soothing the boy's nerves by informing him that Capital Punishment is off the table would have been the smart play. Remember, his mother was being given a way out, but panicked and lashed out before receiving full clarification.

On the other hand, "It seemed like a good idea at the time" is the unofficial Cubi motto. :mowtongue This is all entirely in character and I'm just snarking and throwing popcorn at the screen. Want some? *Offers bowl* 

Raskahn

Quote from: Starcat5 on February 17, 2024, 10:45:55 AMOn the other hand, "It seemed like a good idea at the time" is the unofficial Cubi motto. :mowtongue This is all entirely in character and I'm just snarking and throwing popcorn at the screen. Want some? *Offers bowl* 

Oh, don't mind if I do. I love emotion flavoured popcorn!

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Raskahn on February 17, 2024, 01:13:08 PM
Quote from: Starcat5 on February 17, 2024, 10:45:55 AMOn the other hand, "It seemed like a good idea at the time" is the unofficial Cubi motto. :mowtongue This is all entirely in character and I'm just snarking and throwing popcorn at the screen. Want some? *Offers bowl* 

Fear or anger?

Raskahn

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on February 17, 2024, 03:05:32 PM
Quote from: Raskahn on February 17, 2024, 01:13:08 PM

Fear or anger?

Fear, dangit! My profile banners have gone.
Relevant since I had the clan tattoo in there, among other things.

Liatai

Ooh, got any confusion and a side of relief? :9

ProfesseurRenard

Liatai

46-07 - I'm starting to think Daryil might be winging this.

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on February 18, 2024, 05:55:02 PM
Quote from: Liatai on February 18, 2024, 04:40:21 AMOoh, got any confusion and a side of relief? :9
We shall see.

Well, there's the confusion, judging by Richard's face. X3

Liatai

46-08 - This is why they like wearing those gloves

Lovely page, but do you want ants insectis? This is how you get ants insectis. X3

The poses are fantastic, great job Merlin! The hug at the end feels very warm. Poor Richard must be so overwhelmed though X3;

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Liatai on March 01, 2024, 01:36:28 PM46-08 - This is why they like wearing those gloves

Lovely page, but do you want ants insectis? This is how you get ants insectis. X3

The poses are fantastic, great job Merlin! The hug at the end feels very warm. Poor Richard must be so overwhelmed though X3;

Yep. I myself am marveling at Callahan being made to fetch a drink that Daryil admits to hating. Though it has been awhile since Daryil did something this eccentric.