2023/07/24 [Xer Chapter 12]

Started by Starcat5, July 23, 2023, 11:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starcat5

12-01 - Xerian has an unexpected visitor

You actually can dig your way out of a hole. You just have to pick a side and start carving out a ramp going up. These guys... aren't doing that. They are aiming for bedrock, and they aren't going to stop. :banghead
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

ProfesseurRenard

How many picks do you think they'll break before Leavy and company come to break down the door?

Liatai

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on July 23, 2023, 01:10:54 PMHow many picks do you think they'll break before Leavy and company come to break down the door?

Depends on if they grabbed Niall or R. Niall*, really. Original flavor Niall has wing tentacles, so the picks don't need to come out. R. Niall is a different story.

* see Tuppeny Man side story

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Liatai on July 24, 2023, 10:30:36 PM
Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on July 23, 2023, 01:10:54 PMHow many picks do you think they'll break before Leavy and company come to break down the door?

Depends on if they grabbed Niall or R. Niall*, really. Original flavor Niall has wing tentacles, so the picks don't need to come out. R. Niall is a different story.

Starcat and I can assure you, the picks are already out. And I have read both Tupenny Man and the original Xerian story. I'm quite familiar with R. Niall.

Starcat5

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on July 25, 2023, 04:34:22 AM

Starcat and I can assure you, the picks are already out. And I have read both Tupenny Man and the original Xerian story. I'm quite familiar with R. Niall.
To be fair to both of you, it is far easier to open a lock with a Pickaxe than it is to dig with a Lock Pick:mowtongue

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Liatai

Ah! I didn't read the original Xerian story, so I was just leaving a footnote for anyone coming by who hadn't read all the sidestories, too. :3

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Starcat5 on July 25, 2023, 04:24:06 PM
Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on July 25, 2023, 04:34:22 AM

To be fair to both of you, it is far easier to open a lock with a Pickaxe than it is to dig with a Lock Pick:mowtongue
:lol  :lol  :lol

Starcat5

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on July 26, 2023, 12:27:15 AM
Quote from: Starcat5 on July 25, 2023, 04:24:06 PMTo be fair to both of you, it is far easier to open a lock with a Pickaxe than it is to dig with a Lock Pick:mowtongue
:lol  :lol  :lol
Yeah, it was becoming clear you were both using different definitions of "Pick". I figured pointing that out via a joke was the best way to keep the thread from derailing.

Quote from: Liatai on July 25, 2023, 10:09:18 PMAh! I didn't read the original Xerian story, so I was just leaving a footnote for anyone coming by who hadn't read all the sidestories, too. :3
I didn't read the text version of the story either. Spoilers and all that. But now that it has been brought up, I went looking, and found the sequel instead. I have now been spoiled on part of Xer's future redesign, and will be subconsciously looking out for what causes it. -_(\

Liatai

Quote from: Starcat5 on July 26, 2023, 09:47:12 AMYeah, it was becoming clear you were both using different definitions of "Pick". I figured pointing that out via a joke was the best way to keep the thread from derailing.

Oh! OH!!! Oh my gosh yeah the other type of pick didn't even OCCUR to me! :lol  I thought we were both talking about lockpicks!

Oh gosh, reading back up now, I get it. Renaud was saying "how many pickaxes are the Lab C captors going to break digging themselves deeper into a hole?" while I read it as "how many lockpicks are Xerian and Niall going to break trying to rescue themselves before the rescue arrives?"

:inglesh

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Liatai on July 26, 2023, 10:17:26 AM
Quote from: Starcat5 on July 26, 2023, 09:47:12 AMYeah, it was becoming clear you were both using different definitions of "Pick". I figured pointing that out via a joke was the best way to keep the thread from derailing.

Oh! OH!!! Oh my gosh yeah the other type of pick didn't even OCCUR to me! :lol  I thought we were both talking about lockpicks!

Oh gosh, reading back up now, I get it. Renaud was saying "how many pickaxes are the Lab C captors going to break digging themselves deeper into a hole?" while I read it as "how many lockpicks are Xerian and Niall going to break trying to rescue themselves before the rescue arrives?"

:inglesh

Heh, yeah. I get tripped up on multiple-choice meanings sometimes as well. If it weren't for Starcat's intervention, I can easily see this conversation dissolving into a "Four Candles"-type mess.

Starcat5

12-05 - The reckoning is delayed by unforseen circumstances

Wait, didn't I... Oh, now I remember. I was posting a comment via my phone, and was interrupted. The message was never sent. {Censured}!

Anyway, two things. One, you spelled "unforeseen" wrong. Happens to the best of us. Two, and the reason for this post, why in Dog's name was R. Niall shut down by a bog standard Remote? Given his high status, one would think that he'd require a Remote with higher access clearance, or at least a password. That is just proper cyber security!

-_(\

Tapewolf

Quote from: Starcat5 on September 01, 2023, 09:16:19 PMAnyway, two things. One, you spelled "unforeseen" wrong. Happens to the best of us. Two, and the reason for this post, why in Dog's name was R. Niall shut down by a bog standard Remote? Given his high status, one would think that he'd require a Remote with higher access clearance, or at least a password. That is just proper cyber security!

Thanks for spotting the typo!

The problem R. Niall has is that he's got an experimental combat chassis based on the improvements Fendrick made for his plan to take over the world in Project Future.  As we'll see in a bit, having restricted technology means that the Commission has been keeping closer tabs on him than a normal, less dangerous android.  So yes, they did have a valid shutdown certificate for him.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

InhumanInterest

That does make sense, given the overall effort to operate above the board and how close of an eye the commission has been keeping on them it does make some sense that they wouldn't want to try sneaking a counter to that shut down command on a powerful military model.

Of course that's assuming there's no big twist or secret there and that he wasn't just pretending to shut down. They were using the remote in eyeshot so it's not completely impossible.

Starcat5

12-07 - Won't Get Fooled Again
And thus, Xer gained the {Snark} Trait.

InhumanInterest

That is the sort of thing learning history results in.

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: InhumanInterest on September 12, 2023, 05:31:15 PMThat is the sort of thing learning history results in.

Certainly proves a useful defense mechanism against the sort of idiots who speak falsehoods about the past.

Starcat5

12-10 - Furrae probably has 'kidnapped' in the list of absence reasons
And to think that there is a book series that listed Earth as a Deathworld:U  Furrae would probably get Blacklisted, complete with Space Cops to make sure no one can get in or out.