Hugs For Amber!

Started by Akisohida, March 15, 2023, 09:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akisohida

Do what you need too to keep healthy, physically and mentally!
:hug
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

GreenReaper

I can emphasize - early last year I started getting a tremor in my right hand. I took it as some kind of repetitive strain injury; one of my sites had been under a DDoS, so I'd been doing a lot of repetitive typing for IP blocks. Over time, though, it became increasingly hard to type; not only was there that wobbling, my fingers weren't moving quite when I wanted them to - so the letters started coming out in the wrong order.

It took a few months and pestering from family to bring it up with my rheumatologist, who referred me to a neurologist. Tests after that, big scary machines tilting over my head and making weird sounds inside it, getting injected with radioactive fluid from an old lead syringe. Eventually I had a diagnosis, which was... not great, but good to know.

This month I started on medication, which seems to be working, although it's not yet at a dosage that fully controls the condition. It may stop working over time, but there are options after that, and I can start making plans for the future. Hopefully Amber can get to to that point, too.

Glenn Griffon

I've been a long time reader but only recently started posting. I just want to say that as someone who has been reading this comic for years i would rather Amber take whatever steps she must to take care of herself first and foremost.

Sure I'd be sad to see the comic end but i would be more saddened if she pushed herself past her limits to make us readers happy. No art should ever come at the cost of a person's mental and physical health. I hope things get better for Amber and she can continue doing art that makes her happy.

One suggestion i want to offer to her - Amber, have you considered going to a monthly update format? It would allow you more time than attempting to keep up a weekly routine and take pressure off having to meet some kind of deadline.

Tarakona

Hey shakey shakey here! Between surviving a stroke last year and lupus, I shake like crazy. Typing is only slightlycubi  better. Please take care of yourself Amber. Your fans and friends will be here. I feel you about showing weakness. Those who care want you well and safe. Thank you for the amazing comic and your amazing self. Seriously the comic has helped me in so many ways. The cubi who caught her partner cheating came out when  I caught mine. Falinas escape with hope came out when my mom died. I'm sure I'm not the only one to say thank you foreverything. But the important part is you Amber. Please take care of yourself and take time to heal. Best wishes. Virtual hugs if you want them.

Treesong

I can only add my best wishes for quiver control. Do what you must, and thank you for all you can do!

ProfesseurRenard

My best wishes are with you, Amber. Whatever ends up happening.

FairWage22

Amber,

It's of interesting timing that you mention this -- I've been having issues when I eat where my hand will just randomly start to shake.   It's not when I'm using the computer, or writing something by hand.   

Fork full of food in hand suddenly WHEEEEE not going where it needs to go.

No idea of what's causing it -- not a medical professional of any sort -- but I've found de-stressing and eating more regularly helps for me.

Unfortunately don't have the luxury of getting it checked out, so have to tough it out.

Hope you're feeling better soon, and do what you have to do to protect your health.

For decades I viewed myself as a 'wageslave', captive to whims of others and not realizing that by Naming myself that I *defined* myself.

Now many years older and wiser, I am trying to be the change  I want to see.

Teraunce

I wish Amber luck. I also remember now why I don't come here because there's 30 billion captchas to post but whatevs, this is important enough to suffer through them.
Searching my Username will only ever find me...but be careful what you find as not all of it is SFW.

Merlin

i've..... never seen a captcha and im on here on the daily sending weird DMs

that's weird

ALSO GOOD LUCK AMBAAARGH

Teraunce

Quote from: Merlin on March 21, 2023, 03:57:08 AM
i've..... never seen a captcha and im on here on the daily sending weird DMs

that's weird

ALSO GOOD LUCK AMBAAARGH
Including the Verification Captcha there are 11 text boxes to fill out. Oh. it disappears when you have 5 posts. Huh.
Searching my Username will only ever find me...but be careful what you find as not all of it is SFW.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Teraunce on March 21, 2023, 05:39:12 AM
Including the Verification Captcha there are 11 text boxes to fill out. Oh. it disappears when you have 5 posts. Huh.

Probably that was something we added a while back when we got lots of spammers.  Unfortunate that it's impacted honest posters too.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

son of kinth

I remember the first time I came across the comic. I was using google's image search to look for komodo dragon images and came across #328, went back to the beginning and been hooked ever since. There's a tool around that helps people with parkinson's hold a spoon steady - maybe it could be adapted to hold Amber's pens?

Naldru

I'm not sure what I can say without sounding trite.  However, as FDR said many years ago, the greatest thing that we have to fear is fear itself.  It is just too easy to let your fears feed on themselves until you get full blown panic attacks that can be really scary.  Trying to work around the tremors is often a problem because it can be exhausting and make you feel worse.

Make sure that you get competent help and don't just listen to friends who think they have good advice.  I would try to see a neurologist.  If you are going to look at the internet, look for reputable sources such as the Mayo Clinic and the Canadian and American public health organizations.  You might want to look at some of NHS sites in Great Britain, such as https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/restless-legs-syndrome/ and https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tremor-or-shaking-hands/ .  (I mention restless leg because I found that section useful for my problems.)

I would not go to WebMD, Wikipedia, Reddit, AARP, etc. because I have found the quality of the pages inconsistent.

However, you can rest assured that your legion of fans support you and will continue to support you no matter what happens.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Russec

Love your work, Amber! As I said elsewhere, I love your work for more than just the linework. I hope you will continue to find ways to share this story with us and I'm so happy to receive whatever you can give.

But ultimately its your story, your gift to give. Do what is best for you - we already have been given so much, anything beyond now is just a cherry on top.

Vulpine

While I can't claim to know exactly what's happening, I have a similar issue which is called "Essential Tremors," which can be very upsetting. In my own case, I went to my doctors and ended up getting a prescription which calmed them down, even if it didn't totally eliminate them. Depending on the severity, you might need to visit a neurologist.

JamesCray

I can, to some extent, empathize. A while back, I was prescribed a medication called Abilify in an attempt to alleviate OCD symptoms, and it caused me to experience Parkinsons-like side effects. At least I knew the cause, and had confidence they would stop. Amber, I am so sorry you're going through this.
I wish the real world would just stop hassling me.
"I work in Fringe Division. Weird is a matter of degrees."

DarkwingDude

A ton of positive energy sent their way!

Glenn Griffon

Has anyone heard an update? How is Amber doing?

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

WhyNot?

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 20, 2023, 06:26:29 PM
Quote from: Glenn Griffon on April 20, 2023, 05:43:39 PM
Has anyone heard an update? How is Amber doing?

https://twitter.com/Ambaaargh/status/1648779364463521792

...sounds like there is progress, but slow.

Amber's also updated the rant box a few times since as things have progressed. It's not obvious since you have to scroll past the picture announcement, but if the date in the tab itself has changed then they've provided new information.

Glenn Griffon

Quote from: WhyNot? on April 20, 2023, 06:33:06 PM
Amber's also updated the rant box a few times since as things have progressed. It's not obvious since you have to scroll past the picture announcement, but if the date in the tab itself has changed then they've provided new information.
I can't really see Tab info on my phone. I won't get into the why's but i don't have a computer, only smartphone.
I also don't have that good of a memory so i don't always remember to check the rantbox