2023-02-08 [DMFA #2103] - The power dynamics of Demonhood

Started by Tapewolf, February 08, 2023, 06:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

While Dark Pegasus and Kria collect enemies as a badge of honour, this part of Demon culture has very clearly been lost on Regina, and clearly many others, since staging a rampage (and/or buying blood as 'evidence') is apparently a thing.  Also the "vanity reserve" concept implies that you'll end up with a bunch of weak enemies rather than one strong one, unless there's a Creature guardian who hasn't been let in on the fact that it's really a Demon's happy hunting ground.

I do kind of wish I'd seen this page before writing Emily's rampage - then she would have left some targets alive to act as enemies and attempt revenge.  Then again, she's a bit soft as Demons go.

Finally, although killing them would serve little purpose, skimming the attacker across the lake would still have been fun to see.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

PhycoKrusk

Phrased differently, "Ok, I'm about to start monologuing. We need to get our of here."

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 08, 2023, 06:11:18 AM
Also the "vanity reserve" concept implies that you'll end up with a bunch of weak enemies rather than one strong one, unless there's a Creature guardian who hasn't been let in on the fact that it's really a Demon's happy hunting ground.

Arguably, "a bunch of weak enemies" is what was actually wanted, in that case. "I have a whole horde of enemies" is a strong selling point for talking yourself up; "... all of whom I could sneeze on and defeat, especially if they bunched up helpfully" is rather less so, but I can see Llama Lobed Dork eliding over that, if anyone were so gauche as to bring it up.

I spose it does depend on just how corrupted and self-serving you expect Demon society to be, in part and in whole; the overall design isn't, but the popularity of "vanity reserves" suggest that the implementation is lacking in quite a few specifics. Or maybe I'm just more cynical. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Starcat5

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 08, 2023, 06:11:18 AM
I do kind of wish I'd seen this page before writing Emily's rampage - then she would have left some targets alive to act as enemies and attempt revenge.  Then again, she's a bit soft as Demons go.
Oh, I don't know about that. She may have snuffed out the entire bandit camp, but they were notoriously strong, she did it single handedly, and finished off their leader in a very public venue. Any bandits of the "Rape and Pillage" variety who so much as hear whisper of the event is going to consider her their arch nemesis. Quality over Quantity, in other words.

QuoteFinally, although killing them would serve little purpose, skimming the attacker across the lake would still have been fun to see.
Bah. Save playing with her prey for the ones she wasn't planning on killing anyway. "Stop being a bandit, or I'll disrespect you some more!"
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Nightmask

Honestly if DP were a Marvel or DC comic book villain he'd almost certainly get the kind of votes for best villain that would put him up there with Magneto or Doctor Doom.  Highly intelligent, well-mannered, cultured, unrepentantly evil and yet acknowledges it and the efforts of his enemies to kill him as just by their standards for his actions against them.  He's extremely well-rounded, qualifies for the affably evil TVtrope and genuinely cares for family and is more than willing to support a family member even if their goals aren't evil or destruction.

Merlin

Extremely loving all the Regina shenanigans . More Regina!! MORE