2022-07-27 [DMFA #2085] - All is vanity

Started by Tapewolf, July 27, 2022, 04:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

An interesting look at the consequences of Demon culture.

Having a village set aside for later rampaging is an interesting concept, not unlike the way hunting grounds are preserved.  It might not be a reasonably safe place to live - assuming it's not your generation that's intended for harvesting - since the Demons who own it are not going to tolerate other Creatures coming along and poaching their game.  But at the same time, it is pretty much cheating as rampages go.
I'm kind of curious as to how it "failed" as a vanity reserve, mind.

As for Dark Pegasus funding it, that's interesting in several ways.  Firstly, did the payments stop when he died, or did he set up some kind of trust fund in the event of his legal death(s)?
Also, Amber has been known to do such things, for instance one of their rabbits was originally destined for being eaten, so I can see that the concept of someone taking over the reserve and just leaving it to get on with things would be appealling.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dishonored

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 27, 2022, 04:27:22 AM
As for Dark Pegasus funding it, that's interesting in several ways.  Firstly, did the payments stop when he died, or did he set up some kind of trust fund in the event of his legal death(s)?

A trust fund setup makes sense. He does tend to take the very long view in most things.
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

GammaEradon

Hm, so, wait, wouldn't that mean her dad is basically the demon equivalent of a trust-fund baby?

That makes way too much sense.

PhycoKrusk

Quote from: GammaEradon on July 27, 2022, 08:41:38 AM
Hm, so, wait, wouldn't that mean her dad is basically the demon equivalent of a trust-fund baby?

It would also nearly explain why he never rampaged through it himself: Too much work, and he'd get dirty.

HaDDea

An interesting look at the consequences of Demon culture.

Having a village set aside for later rampaging is an interesting concept, not unlike the way hunting grounds are preserved.  It might not be a reasonably safe place to live - assuming it's not your generation that's intended for harvesting - since the Demons who own it are not going to tolerate other Creatures coming along and poaching their game.  But at the same time, it is pretty much cheating as rampages go.

If Vanity Reserves are the open secrets that they appear to be (even young Regina knows about them), then that also potentially negatively impacts genuinely spectacular rampage efforts, as other Demons might just assume it's a Vanity Reserve case, as the idea is to make a Vanity Reserve indistinguishable from a regular village. It becomes hard to genuinely assess an individual by proxy if this sort of cheating for prestige is commonplace.

Viv's idea of a bucket of blood has already been thought of and scaled up by the Demons themselves I see, albeit with different methods.

I'm kind of curious as to how it "failed" as a vanity reserve, mind.

I imagine a successful Adventurer's Guild startup might put a stop to a Vanity Project, especially if it comes late in the Reserve's cycle - the goal for the Demon would be not to intervene at that point, as that would be a dead giveaway to other Demons as to the village's true purpose. Other Creatures taking a non-lethal interest in the village very late stage might also make it go sour. Knowing what we do about Taun and Adventuring Guilds, these things may go hand in hand (though not necessarily).

Quote from: GammaEradon on July 27, 2022, 08:41:38 AM

Less Trust-fund and more Padded Resume (unless Malle's father also engaged in the practice, in which case... yes). Regina and her brother would be the Trust-Fund babies in this case (not that they benefit as much from it; Demon culture definitely feels very much like it is built on a similar principle to the Classical Roman concept of Nobilitas). Although... I wonder whether her father enjoys his rampages or not?? Perhaps Regina and her father have more in common than they realize.

Glenn Griffon

So DP took over control of a town that was set to be wiped out by scheduled massacre?
Curiouser and curiouser he is. What is his ultimate goal? To be some kind of benevolent dictator like Cyra tried?
What about all that stuff about summoning a dark god? Is that still on the agenda or what? And how would the dark god fit in his plans?

I swear I'm gonna lose my mind if it turns out that DP was planning to kill a dark god, eat his soul, ascend to godhood and marry Cyra.

AzureEdge

Quote from: Glenn Griffon on July 27, 2022, 07:50:45 PM
So DP took over control of a town that was set to be wiped out by scheduled massacre?
Curiouser and curiouser he is. What is his ultimate goal? To be some kind of benevolent dictator like Cyra tried?
What about all that stuff about summoning a dark god? Is that still on the agenda or what? And how would the dark god fit in his plans?

I swear I'm gonna lose my mind if it turns out that DP was planning to kill a dark god, eat his soul, ascend to godhood and marry Cyra.
My take is Ol' DP, who prefers to do things the old fashioned way, would prefer a True Rampage over this whole Vanity Village Rampage Nonsense.

Hariman

Yep.  This tracks with terminal narcissism, which Malle has in spades.

My suspicion is that the founder of a Vanity Rampage Village makes sure the local area remains just safe enough to not need heavy adventurer presence, which ensures an easy precision strike against any village guards/adventurers, allowing for an easy massacre.

The remote location also helps with that too.

My guess is that this village is well past the "rampage by" date, considering the multiple generations of adventurers there.

Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Tuyu

There's something about the concept of a pre-planned rampage that seems even more wrong.

Hariman

Quote from: Tuyu on July 31, 2022, 03:34:49 AM
There's something about the concept of a pre-planned rampage that seems even more wrong.

"Canned hunt."
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!