2021-11-22 [DMFA #2061] Hugs can help heal

Started by killpurakat, November 23, 2021, 03:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killpurakat

And everyone collectively went, "AWWWWWW!"

Kind of like that, even with how emotional and overwhelming everything was for her, Regina still acknowledged that Aliph does not like hugs, but she was strong enough to recognize the offer for what it sincerely was and accept it because she needed it.

(Kind of wondering if there are security cameras or similar around that might capture this moment and it makes it's way back to certain interested individuals...)

FairWage22

It occurs to me that Regina may never have really hugged someone -- the one time she was getting close enough to someone to open up was just before the Incident with Wildy's mother.

Hope Aliph has his wards and shields up so he doesn't end up with cracked ribs.

EDIT:   It's also very interesting that this arc (and several previous ones) have revealed how flawed Aliph is, yet for every flaw that's revealed, a more complete entity emerges.
For decades I viewed myself as a 'wageslave', captive to whims of others and not realizing that by Naming myself that I *defined* myself.

Now many years older and wiser, I am trying to be the change  I want to see.

Nightmask

I believe someone predicted this would happen, and even with the low, looooooow bar set by her father this definitely is a gold-star moment for Aliph.  I'm just a bit ambivalent if it works better for him to say 'but about what you NEED' rather than 'but about what you WANT.'  This is well beyond merely wanting a hug but her needing a hug, to suit her need for someone to actually embrace her as she is and put her first, to show that they actually care for her with all her flaws (unlike that ex who likely only cared about her because of her family and when they couldn't exploit her for their benefit promptly discarded her).

Tarakona

I never thought one of my favorite pictures would be two demons hugging. I can't imagine what this poor girl has been through, but a lot of her personality makes sense. I use to think of her as spoiled and selfish, but she had to grow up being told she was awful and a disappointment so it makes sense she would try to put herself first in the only way she knew how. While we don't yet know much about Cori, the steaming pile of horrible that is Malle has left its mark.

KathYohneke

I have to say, DP may be a evil mastermind and all that...but he's a really great stepdad.

Hariman

What was it that Lorenda said?

Aliph may be a lot of things, but being a bad Uncle isn't one of them?

Yep. 

Seeing that 1,000% here.

I want to not hug Aliph in thanks for what he's doing for Regina.

I also need to compliment Amber on taking a character who started as very much a one note cliche villain and expanding his character depth so very much.

EDIT:  Also, I am just grateful that I've been able to read DMFA for almost a decade for free, and am solely grateful for all updates regardless of delays.

Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Drakkenmensch

Aliph may not be her biological father, but he is now #1 Best Dad.

Nightmask

Quote from: Drakkenmensch on November 23, 2021, 10:25:48 PMAliph may not be her biological father, but he is now #1 Best Dad.
Seems like her biological father really doesn't deserve being rated higher than donor.

techmaster-glitch

...You know. For a guy whose sister claims he's become "less of himself" every time he's been resurrected, he's really.... *insert own conclusion here* :U

Drakkenmensch

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on November 23, 2021, 11:22:30 PM
...You know. For a guy whose sister claims he's become "less of himself" every time he's been resurrected, he's really.... *insert own conclusion here* :U

Maybe she meant that in the demon sense, as in less inclined to spontaneous murder rampages and more in touch with his feelings?

e_voyager

She really does care for her. Putting her emotional needs over his own preferences. One more thing to respect about alif soulstealer even if I would slice off his head giving a chance
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Lying Foo

The last few times he was resurrected, he was pretty quickly killed, though, wasn't he?  How long has this one lasted?

Also, Kria said that to Dan as her explanation for why she wasn't going to raise him again, at a point when she'd already raised him again, so it should probably be taken with a mountain of salt.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Carmeops

Quote from: KathYohneke on November 23, 2021, 03:40:50 PM
I have to say, DP may be a evil mastermind and all that...but he's a really great stepdad.
which is totally possible if demon brains work the same way as ours

our brain is divided in two, each side is perfectly able to do all tasks required for a brain, they just divide the work for efficiency, like a dual core pc

however contrary to a dual core pc, each side have their own memories, develop their own thinking pathways, thus in the end, you end up with two different mentality

two different sets of morality, ethics, etc.. one side can be cruel, cold, calculating, and the other caring, and the important point is where they decide the limit of which one to apply is located

i suspect that the caring side of DP is quite limited in its range of targets, but it doesn't mean that the caring side is bad at it
for everyone else, they face the cold, cruel, calculating side...

Arcblade

I like that Amber's shown here in the last panel that Aliph still really hates hugs. A thing can mean very different things to people and still be meaningful.

This is such a good comic, I need to up my Patreon donation.

Cassi-kun

He's clearly taking his role as her guardian seriously (though I'm not sure how surprised I should be, since he takes everything seriously). He recognizes that her wellbeing may call for things he personally doesn't care for. He supported her pursuit of a career in fashion as well, after all.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Nightmask

Quote from: Cassi-kun on November 27, 2021, 10:34:13 PM
He's clearly taking his role as her guardian seriously (though I'm not sure how surprised I should be, since he takes everything seriously). He recognizes that her wellbeing may call for things he personally doesn't care for. He supported her pursuit of a career in fashion as well, after all.

He's presented as one of those extremely rare sorts that acknowledges that just because THEY hate something or find no value in it does not invalidate others loving or finding value in something.  That his personal preferences are just that and no more special than anyone else's.  So he recognizes like in this case the importance of a hug to her emotional well-being and gives her one despite hating being hugged, because unlike her father and mother he values her and will suffer what he doesn't like so she can know that.

Sprocketsdance

I also just adore how he asked. Because even a person who is totally cool with hugs might not be okay with hugging in that moment or even a hug from him. But he made that blunt request which is just soooooooooo good (yay consent and free conversation over needs!).

Merlin

dmfa needs more hugs, this was the correct decision

Hariman

I suspect a part of Aliph/Dark Pegasus is plotting how to murder Malle, both for hurting/damaging Regina so badly, and for forcing him to give Regina a hug.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Hariman on December 04, 2021, 02:23:53 AM
I suspect a part of Aliph/Dark Pegasus is plotting how to murder Malle, both for hurting/damaging Regina so badly, and for forcing him to give Regina a hug.

I wonder which of those is the worst offense in his eyes. :P

Hariman

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on December 04, 2021, 01:24:17 PM
Quote from: Hariman on December 04, 2021, 02:23:53 AM

I wonder which of those is the worst offense in his eyes. :P

Yes. ;)