now that's aggressive marketing (Wii)

Started by Jack McSlay, October 01, 2006, 02:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McSlay

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Aridas

I don't see what you're trying to tell us.

bill

Vidar

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 01, 2006, 02:31:15 PM
I don't see what you're trying to tell us.

It's a webpage dedicated to the PS3, and it has a Nintendo Wii ad on it. It's like walking into a vegan store that has a large Mc Donalds ad on the front door.  :mowhappy
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Aridas

I see it now. I'd make a "Wii 3" joke but.. oh crap, I just did.

Sid

I don't get it. O_o;;;
*disables Adblock* Ohhhhhhh there! *snrk* *enables Adblock again*
:boogie

Saist

eh, this isn't exactly that unusual, or aggressive.

This type of topic where the ads on a page go against or are in opposition to the content of the page happens quite often. For example, consider http://www.newsforge.com  Newsforge is a primary *nix site, writing or linking to articles about the various *nix's, and other non-Microsoft operating systems, and the programs used on the *nix type platforms. However, if you look at the ads, several times they will be from Microsoft. Or, for example, an article about how Symantec is lying their pants off again might contain an ad by Symantec for the worst anti-virus protection that you can purchase, which would be Norton.

Anyways, my own bitterness aside, you normally get odly placed ads like this due to a combination of two different factors. The first is keyword generation, or content generation matching, and then you sometimes will have your dedicated marketing campaigns.

Keyword generation ads have been a repetivite problem with sites like PVP ( http://www.pvponline.com ). Talking about World of Warcraft will often toggle ads that will promote sites or people whose service is based on violating WoW TOS (Terms-of-Service).

Keyword and Content generation matching is also what places Microsoft ads on Newsforge. The site in question simply purchases advertising blocks from a 3rd party, or contracts with a 3rd party to provide ads. The site in question simply offers a space to put those ads.

The 3rd party steps back, and then tries to find ads that will be of interest to the people visiting the site in question. Some, like Google, will try to match ads by the words actually on the page. E.g., World of Warcraft will bring up ads relating to WoW. In other cases, the 3rd party will try to match ads by the actual content. So a technology site that focus's on Webservers will get ads about MySql, IIS, Apache, and companies dealing with Java.

To the 3rd party, they really don't care if the ad is ih opposition or in favor to the keyword or content keyword. They are just worried about getting something that could be related.

Anyways, the point of this, if you've read this far, is that things like the btconnect link are funny. But chances are, Nintendo didn't purchase that space outright.