2019-12-20 [DMFA #1959] - That's Our Dan

Started by Tuyu, December 20, 2019, 02:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuyu

Not a clue where he is or what happened.

But as a mental projection...yeah, you'd think he'd show up closer to Cyra's point-of-view location.

Nightmask

Cyra's pretty emotionally messed up right now, so Dan ending up someplace other than the start point of things isn't so surprising.

MT Hazard

"I'm an adventurer, we run towards the scary noises"

I expect Dan has that on a T-shirt or a mug
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

GreenReaper

Regarding the meta-text: perhaps now would be a great time to arrange something other than dial-up in advance of next year. If it's anything like the telcos here, they're actually charging way more for calls than they deserve because they take advantage of people who haven't changed their plan.

Tarakona

Yep that's our Dan - forgetting those big fluffy things on his back.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tarakona on December 21, 2019, 07:41:03 AM
Yep that's our Dan - forgetting those big fluffy things on his back.

As a rule, 'Cubi abilities seem to be easy to learn, but you don't automatically know how to use them without mentoring.  Hanging around with Beings, he may not have had anyone to teach him how to use them for much more than breaking his fall...

EDIT: Also, Gryphons...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

Indeed! It'd be even cooler if I actually knew how to fly with them!

Also, even he did know it might not be any faster than running and take a lot of energy to do it.

InhumanInterest

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 21, 2019, 07:54:31 AM
As a rule, 'Cubi abilities seem to be easy to learn, but you don't automatically know how to use them without mentoring.  Hanging around with Beings, he may not have had anyone to teach him how to use them for much more than breaking his fall...

EDIT: Also, Gryphons...

Dan gave an explanation on why he doesn't fly a while back, it mostly revolved around jet engines and may have been more joke than real explanation. Otherwise all the explanations here are pretty valid possibilities. He may have never learned (Which he really needs to learn, not just cubi abilities but how to integrate them with his adventurer training) or it may not actually be faster.

If you want something heavily leaning into the former then we can also ask why he hasn't shapeshifted his wings into giant spider/tentacle/arm limbs and used them to propel him like a giant spider-cubi. Given how strong those wings can get he'd probably be able to well exceed the speed of a car.

MT Hazard

Pyroduck was the one who gave that explanation. I'd  say it was more a joke, considering a person sized object would definitely destroy a engine and bring the plane down.

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_263.php

Puyon

I imagine at this point, the jet engine joke can translate well to just... big ass gryphons that can easily wreck the unaware. I think Abel expressed some anxiety flying around gryphons awhile back...
...By Puyon

Tuyu

May have had something to do with Abel being disguised as one at the time.  http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1130.php

But then again, Kria doesn't have any problem with flying whenever she feels like it...other than forgetting she just had her hair done.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tuyu on December 26, 2019, 12:22:27 AM
But then again, Kria doesn't have any problem with flying whenever she feels like it...other than forgetting she just had her hair done.

True, but she's a Demon, who can make her skin nearly impenetrable. I expect she thinks she can hold her own...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tuyu

That would be it then, wouldn't it?

"You have to be this tough in order to fly."

Demons, dragons, certain mythos, but not the typical cubi or wingèd beings....

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Tuyu on December 26, 2019, 11:43:06 PM
That would be it then, wouldn't it?

"You have to be this tough in order to fly."

Demons, dragons, certain mythos, but not the typical cubi or wingèd beings....

I see you're pronouncing 'winged' the Shakespearean way.