2019-12-16 [DMFA #1958] - Population problem

Started by Tapewolf, December 16, 2019, 04:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Well, it looks like Dan's inside Cyra's mind or doing the dreamscape thing again.  The lack of nosebleed is a strong visual cue.  (I hope... it's been a few weeks since the comic last updated, and details like that tend to get forgotten).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

Pretty sure it's a memory  or a mind scape, seems more likely that Cyra accidentally transporting him tens of thousands  (millions? ) of miles away. Also, unless it is magically  preserved,  I would expect all the glass to have significantly deteriorated in seven thousand years.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

HaDDea

Quote from: MT Hazard on December 16, 2019, 06:07:17 AM
Pretty sure it's a memory  or a mind scape, seems more likely that Cyra accidentally transporting him tens of thousands  (millions? ) of miles away. Also, unless it is magically  preserved,  I would expect all the glass to have significantly deteriorated in seven thousand years.

Considering the glassing of the city was due to magic backlash, it wouldn't entirely surprise me if Hishaan was magically preserved. The glass should have stupid high magic residue at any rate.

Ambarrgh mentioned PTSD for Cyra... I think Dan might be experiencing one of Cyra's flashbacks (which isn't going to be fun; burnt-in memories hurt, no matter how much ice you bury them in)

Eboreg

This almost feels like Pompeii.

A Pompeii that you(r grandmother) destroyed.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Tapewolf

I wonder how long this is taking in realtime.  From the library scene we know that Dan spent a while mumbling to himself while Aary read something, but as she said, they don't have much time.  Hopefully what Dan is experiencing now is something different, where time is more compressed.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

FairWage22

Orrr...  it's an interactive mindscape that Dan needs to adventure without destroying any of the crystal (or as little as possible) due to the fact that the memories of those crystallized people are part of Cyra's memories.

Nigh-unto-god power... because the dragon she decided to drain of power had been draining power for centuries if not eons...

The bigger twist, though unlikely, is that Hizzell actually offered/Cyra actually offered in that first burst of power to play 'the Dark Knight' then completely forgot it in the backlash.  (ie, just one dragon and their brood going after cubi for this thing versus the entirety of dragonkind going after cubi for this thing)?

EDIT:  Morning coffee insight, though equally not likely -- "Dragon carcass in bedroom this morning. Foot print on burst stomach. This city's afraid of me. I've seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters, and the gutters are full of blood, and when the drains finally scab over all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!" and I'll whisper "No."   ((with apologies to Rorschach))
For decades I viewed myself as a 'wageslave', captive to whims of others and not realizing that by Naming myself that I *defined* myself.

Now many years older and wiser, I am trying to be the change  I want to see.

Dishonored

I'm leaning towards the dreamscape/memory thing personally. Fits better.
And always a  :D for Rorschach.
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

InhumanInterest

The lack of the nosebleed does seem to argue heavily for this being part of some form of mindscape here.

Maybe the time thing won't be as much of an issue if this also happens to be distracting Cyra.

Alondro

Huh, looks like the Mane 6 went crazy with the Elements of Petrification again. 

;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Rafe

The thing that popped into my head when I saw the scene was,

"...A place where it is always Winter, but never Christmas."

The PTSD analogy has some scary implications when it involves something as powerful as Cyra. What might be even worse is if it's a Cubi version of dementia. When Cyra first looked to be losing contact with reality, I was hoping it wasn't signs of some Cubi equivalent to Alzheimer's. That would seriously be scary to see.
Rafe

Dracologist

Old Man:  Nobody lives in Hishaan.

Adventurer: So it's unpopulated?

Old Man:  I didn't say that.  Nobody LIVES in Hishaan.

MT Hazard

Well, at least it was quick for the citizens.

Chemical weapon detail warning

I've read about some gases that kill people in an instant. There was an account of a household were the occupants had died of several different chemical weapons, one person was frozen in place, teeth clamped on a piece of bread, another was contorted in pain by a gas that was described as 'strangling you from the inside and taking a long time to do it.'

Chemical weapon detail warning

I'm guess that everyone standing or otherwise not moving was frozen in place, but the shattered person was in motion when the event happened, although if Cyra fled afterwards she might have knocked a few of them over.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Rafe

Quote from: Dracologist on December 16, 2019, 07:30:38 PM

Adventurer: Then who is your lord?

Old Man: We don't have a lord.

Adventurer: What?

Old Man: I told you, we're an anarcho-syndicatalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week...

Adventurer: Yes...

Old man: ...But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs...

Adventurer: Yes, I see...

Old Man: But by a two-thirds majority in...

Adventurer: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
Rafe

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Rafe on December 17, 2019, 07:29:11 PM

Old Man: I told you, we're an anarcho-syndicatalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week...

Old man: ...But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs...

Order, eh? Who does he think he is?

HaDDea

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on December 17, 2019, 11:23:28 PM
Quote from: Rafe on December 17, 2019, 07:29:11 PM

Order, eh? Who does he think he is?

On second thought, let's not go to Hishaan - 'tis a silly place.