2019-11-08 [DMFA #1953] - The H word

Started by Tapewolf, November 08, 2019, 06:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Dan's naivety is rather charming.  But it speaks volumes of how badly his upbringing has damaged him in terms of being a functioning clan member, and also how little remedial work has been done at SAIA thus far.

EDIT: Also, I wonder how loudly Cyra can scream before she shatters the dome.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

(Nobody tells Dan anything about Cubi history or politics)

"What! how can you not know about this?"
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

MSpears

Quote from: MT Hazard on November 08, 2019, 07:17:42 AM

To be fair, I think Dan has probably slept through a few of those history or politics lessons.  Both Fa'lina and Abel have noticed that his attention span is extremely short for such things.  So it isn't necessarily that he wasn't told (although there is no way he was told all of it), just that he wasn't always paying attention when he should've been.

(Abel notices that Dan has fallen asleep) "Oh, for crying out loud... I was giving the abridged version, even!"

Tapewolf

Quote from: MSpears on November 08, 2019, 01:40:44 PM
To be fair, I think Dan has probably slept through a few of those history or politics lessons.  Both Fa'lina and Abel have noticed that his attention span is extremely short for such things.  So it isn't necessarily that he wasn't told (although there is no way he was told all of it), just that he wasn't always paying attention when he should've been.

Hopefully this will be the kick he needs to start paying attention.  What he doesn't know, most definitely can hurt him.

InhumanInterest

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 08, 2019, 06:59:28 AM

Ditto, I also wonder if the dome will shatter first or the crystals? And is that chamber soundproofed or are the people running around the halls outside just occasionally hearing loud and confusing shouts?

Akisohida

Dan's naivety is rather charming.  But it speaks volumes of how badly his upbringing has damaged him in terms of being a functioning clan member, and also how little remedial work has been done at SAIA thus far.

I was wondering what that sound was that shattered my tea cup.

(Also, Igive up making my avatar work. it seems to disappear every other week. :P )
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Kuzma Volkov

Also you gotta wonder... Can any of them still hear anything? Or are they now all "mop mop mop" like Archer.

Tuyu

Quote from: MT Hazard on November 08, 2019, 07:17:42 AM

It's also only been three weeks, or a bit more. And there's thousands of years of history to cover.

Even if he's getting the cliff notes version and paying attention, they can't have covered that much yet.

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Kuzma Volkov on November 08, 2019, 08:15:12 PM

Also you gotta wonder... Can any of them still hear anything? Or are they now all "mop mop mop" like Archer.

Not sure I get that Archer bit.

techmaster-glitch

Okay, I'm...actually with Dan on this one. I don't get it, what did Dan say that he shouldn't have?  :B I mean, Cyra needed to be brought up to speed on that at -some- point...

InhumanInterest

It's tinnitus, one of the common sensations associated with it is a feeling of pressure on your ears. You attempt to make the yawn/mop thing in an attempt to get your ears to pop. It's not like actually helps but it's a human instinct, like rubbing your temples when you have a migraine.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tuyu on November 08, 2019, 11:40:59 PM
It's also only been three weeks, or a bit more. And there's thousands of years of history to cover.

Even if he's getting the cliff notes version and paying attention, they can't have covered that much yet.

"A fortune cookie?  Fa'Lina, I'm not fifty anymore... I don't need cute ways of getting a message delivered..."  -Aary, p.583

In other words, if 'Cubi are still being treated like kids into their fifties, it's madness to expect Dan to be able to shoulder this kind of responsibility at half that age.  She should be helping him, surely...

Tuyu

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 10, 2019, 10:38:44 AM
She should be helping him, surely...
And Fa'lina is...pretty sure the entire conversation (1897-1901) happened entirely to lead him to this moment.

Having said that, what is Aary's problem now?  She's the one who filled Dan in on Abel's situation. Fa'lina just mentioned it to him. And while it might be shocking, it is germane to the conversation, and there doesn't seem to be a way to ease into it.

Or did she not realize Dan now considers Abel his friend?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tuyu on November 10, 2019, 04:14:46 PM
Having said that, what is Aary's problem now?  She's the one who filled Dan in on Abel's situation. Fa'lina just mentioned it to him. And while it might be shocking, it is germane to the conversation, and there doesn't seem to be a way to ease into it.

Maybe she's worried that Cyra will decide it's too dangerous for any of them to leave...

Rafe

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 10, 2019, 04:33:55 PM
Maybe she's worried that Cyra will decide it's too dangerous for any of them to leave...

I think she's worried that Cyra will WANT to leave, and go after Hizell herself.
Rafe

PhycoKrusk

Dan, Dan, Dan.

I must admit that, even though you had no way of knowing, you played the part of Destania's pawn perfectly. After all, this has been her plan the whole time, probably since Aniz left the Academy: To inflict upon the entire Cubi race - but especially the clan leaders - a misery so exquisite that it either drives them to action, or fills them with the despair she herself felt all those centuries ago.

Nihilism, refined.

Aurum Lupus

I know that the story is getting quite interesting at this point. However, there's this question I absolutely want to ask. Why is doodle Amber completely blank? Like where is the previous Amber doodle? Like the one that's on the Slacker Tracker.
Sincerely Aurum Lupus

The One Guy

Quote from: Aurum Lupus on November 11, 2019, 06:36:32 PM
I know that the story is getting quite interesting at this point. However, there's this question I absolutely want to ask. Why is doodle Amber completely blank? Like where is the previous Amber doodle? Like the one that's on the Slacker Tracker.
I assume you meant to put this on the thread for #1954, as the "doodle Amber" does not appear in #1953...

Regardless, I think it has to do with Amber coming out as agender (see the last page of the "Take Pride" side thing).