I wonder Video Games

Started by Aurum Lupus, September 06, 2019, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurum Lupus

I wonder if Jakob or Daryil or any members of the cubi of Jayhawk ever fed on anyone playing video games, I'm sure they have, as evident from the latest lake fishing comic. But I wonder how Daryil/Jakob & gang react to some of those horror games, like Man Of Medan, Five Nights At Freddy's (The entire series, especially the VR version),  Bendy And The Ink Machine,  Until Dawn, etc. Also, I would like to know their prospective on other games, like the more violent games out there. More specifically first person shooter games like the battle royal games of PUBG (Players Unknown BattleGrounds), Fortnite, and especially, especially Apex Legends. Or maybe more of the story driven ones like Detroit: Becoming Human, Fallout, Wolfenstein, Call Of Duty WW2, etc. Umm, oh yes, We Happy Few, I would definitely like to see how they react to that game, and if some spectacular event happened to these guys where they get transported to the world of We Happy Few and see how much they like their empathic abilities when they're near the people who like to take their "Joy" (cue the "Happy Pills" song from The Weathers). Subnautica is interesting but self explanatory. Minecraft,  I have a feeling that Daryil would just build Male crotch statues, and will probably just use the game as a designing template for any buildings and statues he wants to erect. (Pun both intended and not intended).
Sincerely Aurum Lupus

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aurum Lupus on September 06, 2019, 09:04:24 PM
I wonder if Jakob or Daryil or any members of the cubi of Jayhawk ever fed on anyone playing video games, I'm sure they have, as evident from the latest lake fishing comic. But I wonder how Daryil/Jakob & gang react to some of those horror games, like Man Of Medan, Five Nights At Freddy's (The entire series, especially the VR version),  Bendy And The Ink Machine,  Until Dawn, etc. Also, I would like to know their prospective on other games, like the more violent games out there. More specifically first person shooter games like the battle royal games of PUBG (Players Unknown BattleGrounds), Fortnite, and especially, especially Apex Legends. Or maybe more of the story driven ones like Detroit: Becoming Human, Fallout, Wolfenstein, Call Of Duty WW2, etc. Umm, oh yes, We Happy Few, I would definitely like to see how they react to that game, and if some spectacular event happened to these guys where they get transported to the world of We Happy Few and see how much they like their empathic abilities when they're near the people who like to take their "Joy" (cue the "Happy Pills" song from The Weathers). Subnautica is interesting but self explanatory. Minecraft,  I have a feeling that Daryil would just build Male crotch statues, and will probably just use the game as a designing template for any buildings and statues he wants to erect. (Pun both intended and not intended).

Well, I did actually want to include something like multiplayer Return To Castle Wolfenstein in the original Chronicles of Jakob Pettersohn.  But that was before such things had been invented so I had them implement the game via dream-surfing.

I've seen very few of the games in your list and therefore cannot write about them.  FO3 and FONV, yes, but not Fallout.  FO4 won't even start.  Bendy I've played.  I've never played the original Wolfenstein because I never had an Apple II, but I have played Wolf3D, Spear of Destiny, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, New Order, Old Blood and I started New Colossus but the things I was asked to do got cringy enough that I stopped playing.  I never played 'the other Wolfenstein' either.  I won't play games that only exist on a server, because I want to be able to replay things in 20 years time.

Yeah, I can see some of the more "Let's build cool stuff" guys like Jakob, Daryil and Niall liking Minecraft, but to be honest, they have enough clout to actually build real-world things.

In Project Future they talk about going to see a horror movie so they can feed on the audience reactions.  While it is possible for 'Cubi to feed on their own emotions it's not recommended.  For video games to be worth anything emotionally, you'd have to be at a LAN party or cyber-cafe to pick up on other people's reactions.  The playtesting thing is assuming that you're in an office with other playtesters, if you were working from home it wouldn't be so useful as an incubus.  Likewise, battle royale games would do zip for you given that you can't feel other people's emotions over Worldnet.

The other thing to bear in mind is that electronics and magic don't mix terribly well.
For the purposes of Project Future canon, I'm treating it like radiation.  As you may know, Intel's first DRAM chips were extremely unreliable and kept corrupting the memory contents.  Eventually they discovered that the ceramic package the chip was encapsulated in was decaying to alpha particles and these were flipping the bits.
Given what we've been told in DMFA I am assuming that magic is liable to do similar things, and as a result Project Future is largely using technology from the early 1990s, since reducing the die size of silicon will make it more vulnerable.  One of our modern-day 10nm flash chips would probably be erased by a Demon walking past it.  For things like the android brains they're using an entirely different branch of technology that is less susceptible, but doesn't seem to be suitable for consumer electronics.
What I mean to say is that they may well be stuck in the late 1990s in terms of game technology as well.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E