2019-03-04 [DMFA #1907] - Bring a friend

Started by Tapewolf, March 04, 2019, 04:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

That's an interesting one.  Dan hasn't really been in this long enough to form too many ties.
Illiath would make a certain amount of sense since she introduced him to Taun, and introducing her to Cyra would be a fair reciprocation.  Since Taun and Cyra were apparently buddies or at least allies, it would also provide a way for Cyra to record a message in Illiath's memories that Taun would be able to see.  On the other hand, Dan has known her for a couple of hours at best.
I can kind of see Aary's enthusiasm in that she was one of Destania's friends, and might like to meet her mother.  On the other hand she's been a bit abrupt and hot-and-cold with Dan to the point at which he didn't think they were friends.  Arguably he's rebooted their relationship fairly recently.
The person he's probably had most contact with is Abel, but that pick is certainly not going to fly.  (Which is a bit of a shame, because it would really tee Destania off.)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

e_voyager

Honestly I would expect come to ask her to go down to the whole being rather than creature thing of one of Cryra's trusted allies is also a good idea one I did not think of
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

MT Hazard

Mink is probably a good choice, ze has a living clan leader so is less likely to freak out at the sight of one and their clan leader is also in hiding, so they would understand the importance of secrecy.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

ZacAttac21

Heehee, if he brings along a lady, the first thing Cyra is going to think is "Babies when!?" :3

Cassi-kun

Part of me wonders if he'd want to bring Alexsi along. And what Cyra would think of Alexsi dating Hizell's son.

Mink, Aary, and Abel seem like the three most likely candidates, with Abel being disqualified due to his situation and Mink likely not having Jin's permission, leaving Aary the only one available out of his Cubi allies.

Though now I wonder what would happen if he brought Mab along... that would be an interesting meeting for sure.

Quote from: CubiKitsune on March 04, 2019, 01:12:47 PM
Heehee, if he brings along a lady, the first thing Cyra is going to think is "Babies when!?" :3
And then Dan can make the grumbly noises again!
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Lupi900

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 04, 2019, 04:33:29 AMOn the other hand she's been a bit abrupt and hot-and-cold with Dan to the point at which he didn't think they were friends.  Arguably he's rebooted their relationship fairly recently.

She was quite harsh when he just found out he was cubi and other things.

Prroul

Not surprised Ari is eager to be Dan's 'plus one'. In addition to having a positive relationship with his mother, and thus naturally curious about their Clan Leader, she's also something of a historian or chronicler of 'Cubi heritage, and being able to meet a Clan Leader many thought extinct, or at least gone, would be the high point of that ambition.

Also note that Ari does actually genually consider Dan to be a friend. The only time she's gotten hostile with him, after he got over his initial hangups and she was constantly facepalming left and right, was when Dan was having a Very Bad Idea (such as trying to break and enter into a secure medical facility in one of the most militarily secure city-states currently known to the readers), which honestly pretty much deserved the reaction it got. She's not hostile to him, she just doesn't want a Bad Idea (because 'Cubi are infamous for their propensity for Bad Ideas) to screw things up worse.

And really, I could see Ari being a decent 'plus one' for him if he can get over his hangups. Of course, Cyra's going to want to know when the babies are going to happen, and assuming that Ari is the designated prenatal care unit. Which would also give Ari an option to *join* Cyra's clan, which is probably a plus from Cyra's point of view. The bigger her clan, up to a point, the safer she is. And really, Ari's 'clan' is so disintegrated at the moment that it would only be a power boost from her. From a cold, calculating perspective which does not take into consideration anyone's personal feelings, it's a Good Deal(tm) for everyone involved!

It would likely be somewhat more difficult to get Matilda in there, but Cyra would certainly approve of the match. After all, as long as it is female, they can make babies. As was mentioned during the Race Breakdown, Cubi can make babies with darn near *anything* with approximately the right gender and biological compatibility. And her race of Mythos are pretty darn beefy powerful, making the offspring likewise sufficiently powerful, in addition to being 'Cubi. Of course, Cyra would be very much supporting the idea, perhaps even *aggressively* supporting the idea, of them 'gettin' it awwwn' which... honestly, Matilda would probably be all for, considering her upbringing and general character. After all, she's not being treated like property, which is a big step up from the previous culture, but the primary goal of breeding is still ingrained into that culture, and is probably something that is still in her psychological makeup along with other remnants of that culture, such as her appreciation of 'dat wingspan'. Dan, of course, on the other hand... well, we'll get plenty of chibi 'wut' expressions, likely while attempting to mimic the Nope Badger.

The only concern is that any sort of physical contact could be a vector for identification. Cyra's physical location is one of the most closely guarded secrets in all Furrae, whoever the 'plus one' is may have an issue with Cyra not wanting them to *leave* afterwards, lest her location leak somehow, either voluntarily, or... not voluntarily.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prroul on March 04, 2019, 06:43:16 PM
And really, I could see Ari being a decent 'plus one' for him if he can get over his hangups. Of course, Cyra's going to want to know when the babies are going to happen, and assuming that Ari is the designated prenatal care unit. Which would also give Ari an option to *join* Cyra's clan, which is probably a plus from Cyra's point of view. The bigger her clan, up to a point, the safer she is. And really, Ari's 'clan' is so disintegrated at the moment that it would only be a power boost from her. From a cold, calculating perspective which does not take into consideration anyone's personal feelings, it's a Good Deal(tm) for everyone involved!

That is a very interesting idea.  However, I don't think it's all that simple for Aary to switch clans... I have a feeling that it would make her less powerful than she is at the moment - it's something that would benefit her children more than her.  Assuming they weren't found and sent to Hizell for valuable cash prizes.  It would also mean throwing out her own heritage, which AFAIK she is quite proud of, and depending on how the ritual works, it may also cripple Dan (AFAIK it has similar principles and drawbacks to the Being-'Cubi conversion process).  That's maybe not a big deal for him because he was expecting a normal lifespan anyway, but I'm not sure it would go down so well with Cyra.

Prroul

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 04, 2019, 07:15:04 PM
That is a very interesting idea.  However, I don't think it's all that simple for Aary to switch clans... I have a feeling that it would make her less powerful than she is at the moment - it's something that would benefit her children more than her.  Assuming they weren't found and sent to Hizell for valuable cash prizes.  It would also mean throwing out her own heritage, which AFAIK she is quite proud of, and depending on how the ritual works, it may also cripple Dan (AFAIK it has similar principles and drawbacks to the Being-'Cubi conversion process).  That's maybe not a big deal for him because he was expecting a normal lifespan anyway, but I'm not sure it would go down so well with Cyra.
So far as I am aware, the ritual needs a bloodline bond, which the child would provide, giving her the ability to do so.

As far as power... currently her clan has no Clan Leader tri-wing. Moving to a clan WITH a Tri-Wing Clan Leader can only be a boost in power. Moreso because there's only a very small handful of people in the clan, so the Clan Leader has more to share 'round per each, which would be a VERY significant boost in power.

As far as pride in heritage... she's not throwing out her heritage, which has always been more 'cubi-centric than her specific clan-centric anyway. She's not becoming any less, she's just gaining more. I don't think she'd have a big deal with it, at least in theory. It would just be the requirement to make babies with Dan that might be the hangup.

I don't see how it would cripple Dan in any way. If nothing else, Cyra would cover it by pulling back a small tiny part from Des. And I've seen nothing Canon that mentions this anywhere. Then again, the ritual is kind of handwaved when it was explained, so there's no telling. But really, it's the baby which seems to be the focus for the ritual, as it is the baby that is the bloodline link necessary to make the transfer, or so it seems to me. Dan's only contribution to it is that he contributed that bloodline to the kid during conception.

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Cassi-kun on March 04, 2019, 03:10:43 PM
Part of me wonders if he'd want to bring Alexsi along. And what Cyra would think of Alexsi dating Hizell's son.

Leaving aside the difficulty of even contacting Alexsi safely, I confess it would be interesting to know what Cyra would make of her grandson's half-sister forming a bond with the estranged son of her (Cyra's) archenemy.

Tuyu

Quote from: MT Hazard on March 04, 2019, 09:03:21 AM
Mink is probably a good choice, ze has a living clan leader so is less likely to freak out at the sight of one and their clan leader is also in hiding, so they would understand the importance of secrecy.
The one problem with Mink as I see it is that Mink would not be a good keeper of secrets.

Iliath and Aary both have good points as choices, though I still wonder a bit at Aary's interest.

From an adventuring group perspective, though--all three! of course.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prroul on March 04, 2019, 08:14:11 PM
So far as I am aware, the ritual needs a bloodline bond, which the child would provide, giving her the ability to do so.
Yes.  However, if it uses the same mechanism as the 'Cubification ritual, it would also require transplanting some of Dan's 'Cubi-ness to Aary.  We don't have enough information to know if that's the case.

As far as power... currently her clan has no Clan Leader tri-wing. Moving to a clan WITH a Tri-Wing Clan Leader can only be a boost in power. Moreso because there's only a very small handful of people in the clan, so the Clan Leader has more to share 'round per each, which would be a VERY significant boost in power.

The general rule is that nothing is strictly canon until it appears in-comic, but this is what Amber said on the topic.  It's 10 years ago now, so take it with a pinch of salt:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,6085.msg281729.html#msg281729
"The process of converting to a different clan is usually difficult and generally results in a loss of power regardless of whether or not your clan was the stronger of the two or if you are moving over to a stronger clan. Most clan members who are opting to switch over aren't really doing it for personal power gain so much for their children future gain."

You're right that Cyra might be able to make up the difference given the small size of the clan, though...

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 05, 2019, 08:12:43 AM
"The process of converting to a different clan is usually difficult and generally results in a loss of power regardless of whether or not your clan was the stronger of the two or if you are moving over to a stronger clan. Most clan members who are opting to switch over aren't really doing it for personal power gain so much for their children future gain."
*quietly taking notes for Endless Nonsense*
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Cassi-kun on March 05, 2019, 05:32:38 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 05, 2019, 08:12:43 AM
*quietly taking notes for Endless Nonsense*
*taps nose*