A Question Regarding Cubi

Started by Akisohida, November 16, 2017, 12:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akisohida

..What determines a clans affinity when they get a clan leader?

Like..Hirenth; affinity for lust and pain.
Did he gain these affinities when he became a clan leader? Like, he could have been all about cuddles and hugs before, and then *BAM!* lust & pain!
Or did he always enjoy lust and pain and thus, upon becoming a clan leader, it became the affinity he passed to his clan?

And if a clan got a new leader, could a clans affinity change?
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Tapewolf

IIRC Cyra was lumped with 'pain' as her clan's affinity, i.e. it wasn't her choice.  But to be honest, the mechanics of how affinities are set haven't been explained thus far (and will probably cause me grief as and when they are).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cassi-kun

My guess is existing affiliation will be the Leader'd affiliation, however Cubi who trend toward a different affiliation may carry that second affiliation instead when they ascend.

For example my character Ambrose was born into a shame clan, but the other parent was from a curiosity clan, and when he ascended his clan's affiliation was curiosity. But the members who converted from his previous clan still lean towards shame.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Akisohida

Quote from: Cassi-kun on November 16, 2017, 04:37:38 PM
My guess is existing affiliation will be the Leader'd affiliation, however Cubi who trend toward a different affiliation may carry that second affiliation instead when they ascend.

For example my character Ambrose was born into a shame clan, but the other parent was from a curiosity clan, and when he ascended his clan's affiliation was curiosity. But the members who converted from his previous clan still lean towards shame.

Maybe but I just caught up again. The recent comic has Aary saying 'It's amazing we kept our affinities even after all this time with no leader'.

Which makes me think the affinities are based on the leader.
If a leader passes his or her power on, it will go to someone with the same affinities and stay the same
But if someone rises in power on their own, they can shift what the affinities are? I mean, if a clan can lose said affinities when their leader dies...

This is all guesswork, though.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Akisohida on November 16, 2017, 04:46:36 PM
But if someone rises in power on their own, they can shift what the affinities are? I mean, if a clan can lose said affinities when their leader dies...

This is all guesswork, though.
Well, Aary also mentioned that dual affiliation is rare to begin with. My guess is that most dual-affiliation clans start drifting into a single affiliation when their Leader passes on, so the expectation was that Hrienth would go from lust and pain to just one of the two, or even a possible rift in affiliation (even if the clan itself remained intact) as different bloodlines shifted toward one affiliation or the other.

Which actually sounds really cool.

I need to stop making new clans though.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Famout

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 16, 2017, 12:50:15 PM
IIRC Cyra was lumped with 'pain' as her clan's affinity, i.e. it wasn't her choice.  But to be honest, the mechanics of how affinities are set haven't been explained thus far (and will probably cause me grief as and when they are).

Well that's your own darn fault for being a super fan and wanting to make your own (admittedly nifty) shrine to the source material!

Edit: Oh yea, grats on the 500-ish comics too.
It feels odd not having a fuzzy avatar picture around here....

Puyon

My theory is that the affinity is linked to the means of ascension. In that it does it always decide what the affinity will be but it can have a heavy influence.

Zezzuva ascended by taking her sister's over and ended up with Envy. Fa'Lina had the torch passed down to her and was the hope for the future of her clan, so... Hope. Cyra destroyed a dragon and a city and ended up with pain. Dimanika... did something Dimanika-ish and ended up with Confusion. You get me at this point.

It could also be retained from the clan the new leader belonged now to. Taun was battle focused far before she ascended after all (it wasn't necessary to her ascension after all). Or maybe it just has to do with the sort of person the leader was at the time they ascended? I think they're all plausible. Just a thought, though.
...By Puyon