2016/09/12 [DMFA #1695] A card might have been a better invitation

Started by Tapewolf, September 12, 2016, 07:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Things could get really interesting.  Arguably one of the biggest threats to Taun is Destania, especially since she seems to have engineered Owona's downfall.  And that is unlikely to sit well with Taun when that comes out.
On the other hand, Destania is looking more and more like a rogue operative.  Which means that half of Cyra clan is a threat and the other half a possible ally.  Either way, if Taun is hoping to find out what Destania's up to it's going to be a disappointing meeting for her.

EDIT: Does that mean that Dan is actually going to meet her in full form, rather than in avatar?  That'll be intimidating.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Merlin

Death threats are sort of a waste of time when you can just skip the threat part with impunity

MT Hazard

Looks like Dan has another reason for having a second chat with Cyra, the first being 'we need to talk about your daughter'.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on September 12, 2016, 07:33:31 AM
Looks like Dan has another reason for having a second chat with Cyra, the first being 'we need to talk about your daughter'.

It's not a given that Cyra knows what Destania is doing either.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 12, 2016, 07:36:53 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on September 12, 2016, 07:33:31 AM

It's not a given that Cyra knows what Destania is doing either.

Exactly, Cyra needs to be brought up to speed on what's happening, or at least given what information Dan has.

Also as a side note the cubi now get to experience what the dragons did all those years ago, one of their most powerful member being killed, seemingly out of nowhere and the panic and chaos that brings.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on September 12, 2016, 07:48:09 AM
Also as a side note the cubi now get to experience what the dragons did all those years ago, one of their most powerful member being killed, seemingly out of nowhere and the panic and chaos that brings.

To be fair, they got that with Siar and probably countless other clan leaders we've not been told about.

Prroul

it's a pretty good bet that Dan would be safe accepting the invitation. If Taun wanted to kill him, she'd wait until he went back to the Inn. Plus, kill Dan, and the only clan member left for Cyra would be Destania... and that's a situation that I don't think any of the Clan Leaders really want happening. The fact that Dan is not a jerk and doesn't immediately respond with violence to most scenarios is probably a plus as well. Taun probably recalled that Dan used to be an Adventurer and wanted to make sure he had his reflexes under control in case something happens. Wouldn't want a guest to accidentally get himself killed, after all.

ZacAttac21

So we're finally going to get to see Taun!? *clan leader fanboi intensifies* :eager

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prroul on September 12, 2016, 07:19:09 PM
it's a pretty good bet that Dan would be safe accepting the invitation. If Taun wanted to kill him, she'd wait until he went back to the Inn. Plus, kill Dan, and the only clan member left for Cyra would be Destania... and that's a situation that I don't think any of the Clan Leaders really want happening.

Well, Destania being the last has been the status quo for nearly 7000 years.  Though the scary difference since the last clan gathering is that she's now out in the wild.
As for killing Dan, bear in mind that when Aniz's incident ended with Zinvth and Jin both wanting him executed, and Fa'Lina willing to hand him over, it was Taun who objected to that.  Considering themselves the guardians of the 'cubi race, it doesn't make much sense that they'd want Dan dead when he is the start of a new chapter in Cyra's clan and a way to turn it into something beneficial for all given the right guidance.
Now, Dan has killed quite a lot of people/Creatures, but that was in the adventuring game, which Taun clan are playing too (and arguably for less wholesome reasons than Dan's "I want to avenge Hannah and stop innocents from being preyed on").

The fact that Dan is not a jerk and doesn't immediately respond with violence to most scenarios is probably a plus as well. Taun probably recalled that Dan used to be an Adventurer and wanted to make sure he had his reflexes under control in case something happens. Wouldn't want a guest to accidentally get himself killed, after all.
Indeed.  Consider also the incident with Abel and the baseball bat.

Quote from: CubiKitsune on September 13, 2016, 12:30:47 AM
So we're finally going to get to see Taun!? *clan leader fanboi intensifies* :eager

It should be very interesting.  I wouldn't expect her to be sweetness and light.  Probably something more like Zezzuva, but we'll have to see.

Delian Williams

For a two sets of wings cubi Dee sure is quite powerful... I hope Cyra still IS in charge.

Must resist the urge to make a Dan's punchable face collage.
Let's have some shipping instead, shall we?

Doodeedidee,
doodeedidoo.

p.s. long time no type, went through some rough waters, but clawed my way back all the way to the top.  :bunny

Truth be told, I'm starting to worry about Ray.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Delian Williams on September 13, 2016, 12:55:34 PM
For a two sets of wings cubi Dee sure is quite powerful... I hope Cyra still IS in charge.

As I understand it, it goes something like this:
'Cubi usually feed off magical energy, often harvested via emotions.
With Tri-wings, they somehow create energy as part of their life processes, and the surplus energy flows down to their clan members.
Given Piflak's policy of population control, it seems to be the case that the energy is divvied up between the clan members.  Until recently, Cyra had exactly ONE clan member - Destania - who has had pretty much unfettered access to Cyra's power.
Part of this is because it will break Cyra if her clan dies out completely, so she's been throwing a ton of energy at Destania to keep her alive and young, no matter how insane she is.

Where this gets really interesting is that Cyra could quite easily cut Dee off, and focus everything on Dan instead.

p.s. long time no type, went through some rough waters, but clawed my way back all the way to the top.  :bunny
Glad to hear it!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 13, 2016, 02:05:03 PM
Where this gets really interesting is that Cyra could quite easily cut Dee off, and focus everything on Dan instead.

That entirely depends on if it's conscious or unconscious. And just how much of the power is actually supplied by Cyra -now-, as distinct from 7k years ago. Assuming that Cyra was entirely supporting Destania originally, it's easily conceivable that Destania supplied herself with a large chunk of power in the shape of souls, quite possibly even stealing Creature souls, rather than just Being souls. Bear in mind, here, we're talking about 6950 of 7000 years spent being evil and stealing souls and conniving and hiding and stuff. Sure, she might have spent a huge chunk of that in SAIA, but even so, it doesn't take that many weeks to wipe out an entire village. I can easily see her spreading her predations over a wide area; she might be crazy, but crazy like a fox, right?

Just a thought, anyway.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 14, 2016, 04:33:09 AM
Just a thought, anyway.

Possibly, but IIRC she actually has a pretty low body count.  Dan's is higher because he's been going around killing people for a living, whereas Destania hasn't been able to kill much under Fa'Lina's supervision, and what she's doing now requires stealth, i.e. not drawing attention to herself by committing atrocities.

Prroul

Here's the thing about that...

Cyra is completely on-board with Destania's mission statement: Kill Hizel, his kids, and any other dragons you can knock off at the same time. If there is one thing that Cyra *WOULD* be willing to sacrifice her entire clan and her existence for, it would be that. Depending on how unbalanced she has become, she could very well end up in a 'with my last breath I stab at thee' mindset. Think how traumatic it is to lose one's clan. She went from one of the most powerful clans... to a clan with only a single member (other than herself, who doesn't really count at that point). That's... gotta really, really suck. And Hizel is the creature directly responsible. So yes, part of it has been 'as long as Des is alive, so is my clan', which is no longer completely true because of Dan, but part of it has also been 'this is my chance at taking out Hizel'. As long as Des has a reasonable chance at succeeding in her goal... Cyra is going to back her. 

Now, if it gets to the point where Des's plan either has no realistic chance of success or outright fails... that's when things get a bit more dicey for Des.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prroul on September 14, 2016, 01:06:02 PM
Cyra is completely on-board with Destania's mission statement: Kill Hizel, his kids, and any other dragons you can knock off at the same time.

Do we actually know that?  It's a bit at odds with the attitude she's shown to Dan, and also the answer in the Clan Leader Letter, which AFAIK are supposed to be the sort of answers the leader would give if asked in-comic.

While I'm not sure there's any love lost with Hizell, I don't think we can automatically assume that Cyra is on board with a 'kill all dragons even if it destroys the world' project.  After all, it was her own greed and ambition which triggered the war, somewhich which she's actually admitted to Dan.  Guilt is a valid reaction as well as revenge...

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 14, 2016, 04:38:13 AM
Just a thought, anyway.

Possibly, but IIRC she actually has a pretty low body count.  Dan's is higher because he's been going around killing people for a living, whereas Destania hasn't been able to kill much under Fa'Lina's supervision, and what she's doing now requires stealth, i.e. not drawing attention to herself by committing atrocities.
Dee has a pretty nasty and well deserved reputation though. She was head of the pain and terror department, taught murder and rape, and apparently had a massive fight with Fa'Lina when she was forbidden from using infants and children in her torture class.

She's also apparently been an ally of the San family for generations, meaning either the San family had/has access to SAIA or Dee has left the academy before.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Jigsaw Forte

That entirely depends on if it's conscious or unconscious. And just how much of the power is actually supplied by Cyra -now-, as distinct from 7k years ago. Assuming that Cyra was entirely supporting Destania originally, it's easily conceivable that Destania supplied herself with a large chunk of power in the shape of souls, quite possibly even stealing Creature souls, rather than just Being souls. Bear in mind, here, we're talking about 6950 of 7000 years spent being evil and stealing souls and conniving and hiding and stuff. Sure, she might have spent a huge chunk of that in SAIA, but even so, it doesn't take that many weeks to wipe out an entire village. I can easily see her spreading her predations over a wide area; she might be crazy, but crazy like a fox, right?

Just a thought, anyway.

As long as we're going off the rails, 7K years is a LONG time to be running on direct current. How possible would it be for Destania to make herself a few "batteries"/horcruxes to stow some of that power aside for a rainy day fund? Even if there were some "mild" limits in terms of the power capacity available or time it takes to craft one, Destania could potentially have a lot pocketed away...