Missed by no one, second to most.

Started by Dishonored, September 11, 2016, 07:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dishonored

So. I've been having gall bladder problems for months, actually the beginning of the year, and was just getting the doctors to seriously look into it about two weeks ago.

Saturday the 3rd, I woke up early with a truly horrific case of nausea. Jogged to the bathroom, where I won't detail but you can guess what I did. An hour in, the other end joined the party. Six hours later, I ended up in the emergency room.

Turns out I somehow contracted a nasty bacterial infection, and at the same time my gall bladder flared up. So off to ANOTHER E.R. in a bigger city, and the next morning I was sporting a brand new set of incisions. The surgeon told me that my gall bladder looked like leather and had probably stopped working about three years back, at his best guess. Oh, and something escaped.

Off to a third hospital, this time for the removal of a gallstone near my liver. Mission successful...but then they sent me back in to have a stent put in "just in case".

Due to transport, and surgery prep, and each surgery being pushed back due to other emergency cases, I went from early evening on the 2nd to the night of the 5th with only I.V. fluids. No drinky, no eaty, not even a sip.

...Did I mention I have a temper? I left the third hospital, and went home. The next morning I was in sorry shape, went back to first (And highly competent!) hospital E.R., and have spent ever since quarantined in a room by myself. Because my infection was highly contagious, anything that came into the room from home had to be bleached or destroyed to prevent possible spread. So I was forced to watch TV for a week. And sleep. A lot.

Teal deer; I got sick, got things cut out, others slapped in, and spent over a week in limbo. Damn, it's good to be back. What'd I miss?

"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

James StarRunner

Dang, sounds about as messed up as my Crohn's endevor which nearly killed me. Sorry you had to go through all of that. With all the incisions they made in me, I look like someone who was stabbed repeatedly in a knife fight. And with what they had to take out of me, I try to joke that I'm gutless now (and it hurt like heck).

I'm not sure you missed much though. I came back not long ago and the forum seems to have slowed down to a crawl.

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on September 11, 2016, 11:52:30 PM
I'm not sure you missed much though. I came back not long ago and the forum seems to have slowed down to a crawl.

Yes.  forums in general seem to have been usurped by social media, and of those left, some have moved over to the DMFA forum on Katbox, neatly splitting the DMFA forum community in two.  As a rule they seem to make more threads but get a lot fewer replies per thread.  In any case, even if the bulk of the community had shifted there, it wouldn't be much help for Merlin, Turnsky, Darkmoon or myself since our comics aren't on Katbox...

Anyway, glad to see you are both safe and well, relatively speaking.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

I did wonder where you'd got to, Dishonored. Not enough to actually post, but you _were_ missed. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Dishonored

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 12, 2016, 05:45:02 AM
I did wonder where you'd got to, Dishonored. Not enough to actually post, but you _were_ missed. ;-]

Why thank you! *hides torch* I still get to go back and get the stent removed. Fun times ahead!
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

ZacAttac21

I thought you just weren't posting for some reason. :<

Dishonored

Quote from: CubiKitsune on September 13, 2016, 12:33:23 AM
I thought you just weren't posting for some reason. :<

While it's true I tend not to post if I think I have nothing worthwhile to say, I'm also generally afflicted with diarrhea of the mouth. (Stand around long enough, random crap spews out.)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Dishonored on September 13, 2016, 05:03:34 PM
While it's true I tend not to post if I think I have nothing worthwhile to say, I'm also generally afflicted with diarrhea of the mouth. (Stand around long enough, random crap spews out.)

This makes you different from most of the moderators, how? ;-]

Dishonored

llearch n'n'daCorna

Dishonored

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 15, 2016, 09:28:47 AM
Quote from: Dishonored on September 14, 2016, 06:41:50 PM
No power, no nifty outfits?

I didn't get a nifty outfit. Did I miss out? :-(

You got the nifty ever-changing cardboard suit!

...I got a rock.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Dishonored on September 15, 2016, 04:40:45 PM
You got the nifty ever-changing cardboard suit!

...I got a rock.

... I had that already. :-(

Dishonored

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's okay. You can rock that, and I'll just suit myself. ;-]

Dishonored

Quick update: Saw my first surgeon today, he gave me a clear bill of health except for getting that &$#$@ stent removed. So good news all around!

Also, funny thing: I found out just yesterday that I had a total of four surgeries when I was in. Apparently the drugs blurred the last two in my mind, so I thought I only had three. Funny how the mind works! I'm supposed to get the stent out on October 6th; hopefully that'll be the last surgery I have in a very long time.

Thanks for listening to me prattle on!

llearch n'n'daCorna

James StarRunner

Quote from: Dishonored on September 21, 2016, 07:03:37 PMAlso, funny thing: I found out just yesterday that I had a total of four surgeries when I was in. Apparently the drugs blurred the last two in my mind, so I thought I only had three.
Yeah, drugs and mental exaustion does that. My mom and step dad had to tell me of things I missed. Hope after that stint comes out that you will stay healthy for a good long while.

Dishonored

Stent came out with no problem, and I had the opportunity to freak the hospital. They told me it would take an hour to wake up afterwards, then I'd likely be groggy for an hour or more after that.

I woke up and sat up as they wheeled me to the recovery room, argued for water, and left the hospital fully awake, aware, steady, and on my own two feet half an hour after the surgery started. LOL

Barring some sort of bizarre accident, that should be my last hospital visit for years. Glad it's over, thanks for your support!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Neat! Especially the freaky part.

You might want to make sure that that's on your record, though. If you're shaking off that anaesthetic that quick, it suggests that you may have an atypical response, and any future anaesthesiologist should know about it so they don't use that one on you. Or you might wake up midway through the procedure, and that would be -bad-. :-/

Dishonored

I warned them ahead of time, but they didn't listen.

I actually had to have my wisdom teeth taken out in two operations a couple decades back, and was awake through both because the anesthesia wouldn't knock me out.

llearch n'n'daCorna