2016/09/03 [DMFA #1692] No Scone Unturned

Started by Rafe, September 03, 2016, 02:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafe

Dan seem to be rather agreeable lately.  Maybe he figures that now would be a good time to listen to Fa'Lina (Probably because she's about the only one he even slightly trusts out of this party group).  Despite the fact that Fa'Lina has been known to, say, knock Dan unconscious occasionally, I guess he's decided she'll be more likely to help than cause him pain for now.
Rafe

Shadowdancer

Quote from: Rafe on September 03, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
Dan seem to be rather agreeable lately.  Maybe he figures that now would be a good time to listen to Fa'Lina (Probably because she's about the only one he even slightly trusts out of this party group).  Despite the fact that Fa'Lina has been known to, say, knock Dan unconscious occasionally, I guess he's decided she'll be more likely to help than cause him pain for now.

If she does knock him out he'll likely wake up in the design department cuffed to the ceiling and wearing something extremely experimental. If he's lucky.

Is Fa'Lina even attending? She has subtly avoided mentioning whether she will be attending or not. I imagine she does not like to leave the protection of the academy.
The most powerful magic is just a distraction.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Rafe on September 03, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
Dan seem to be rather agreeable lately.  Maybe he figures that now would be a good time to listen to Fa'Lina (Probably because she's about the only one he even slightly trusts out of this party group).

Well, she's explained that she does have his interests at heart, even if it doesn't seem that way.  She's been very forthcoming about his mother, something which few other people have been willing to do.  And the story he's been given tallies up with people's reactions and with what Cyra and Zezzuva have said.
At the end of the day, he's no longer in a point where he can deny his heritage and the changes in his life which that will bring.  He's reached the point where he accepts that he needs help and this is the best place to get it.

Quote from: Shadowdancer on September 03, 2016, 03:46:46 AM
Is Fa'Lina even attending? She has subtly avoided mentioning whether she will be attending or not. I imagine she does not like to leave the protection of the academy.

As a tri-wing, Fa'Lina is not the thing in front of Dan.  That's basically a drone or avatar she's constructed to interact with people.  She can in fact control several of them and be in two places at once.
The same goes for Piflak and Zezzuva (who described attending the meeting 'in avatar').  I'm not sure that Piflak will really be attending the party in her 50ft personage, though stranger things have happened.  An avatar seems more likely.

Fa'Lina is actually better placed than Piflak to attend, since the dimensional bubble protecting the school also disrupts the link between the tri-wing and their avatars.  At SAIA, Piflak and Zezzuva's avatars were actually running autonomously as bots, their experiences and knowledge synced with the real tri-wing once they left the academy.
Fa'Lina is likely to be in a similar state when she leaves, i.e. she's a bot outside the academy.

This is a good thing.  When the Dragons killed Siar, they were able to use her link to her clan children to hunt them down and exterminate them.  I've heard that they can do a similar trick if they can catch an avatar, travelling down the link to get to the actual tri-wing so they can kill them.  Fa'Lina as a bot should be immune to that.

Given that private dimensions are ten a penny (Matilda sells them) and that Hizell would kill his own children to be  able to take out the leading lights of the 'cubi race all at once, I would tentatively assume that the party will take place in some similar realm to SAIA, but controlled by Piflak.  So if Fa'Lina did attend, she'd likely have to go as a bot regardless since I imagine Piflak's domain would block the avatar link just as Fa'Lina's domain blocked hers.

EDIT: Spelling

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 03, 2016, 06:44:47 AMprivate dimensions are ten a penny (Matlida sells them)
I never really thought of it before your post, but I wonder if they're more common nowadays than they were back when SAIA was first created. It's been around seven thousand years after all, plenty of time for magic to progress the same way technology has started to. Or perhaps it's just the size of SAIA that's so significant, since it's so massive and long-lasting.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Prroul

Quote from: Cassi-kun on September 03, 2016, 02:41:58 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on September 03, 2016, 06:44:47 AMprivate dimensions are ten a penny (Matlida sells them)
I never really thought of it before your post, but I wonder if they're more common nowadays than they were back when SAIA was first created. It's been around seven thousand years after all, plenty of time for magic to progress the same way technology has started to. Or perhaps it's just the size of SAIA that's so significant, since it's so massive and long-lasting.
I suspect it is more a matter of persistence.

Your basic, no-frills pocket-dimension only needs to persist as long as you, or someone else, is in it. Day or two at most should be plenty. Then it can go down, and come up again. As long as it 'remembers' where all the inanimate objects go, no harm and no foul.

SAIA, on the other hand, has had a living population for several thousand years.

Think of it as a server which has been running, flawlessly, without rebooting or updating, for seven thousand years. No memory leaks, no garbage inflation, no rest breaks.