Cancer Update

Started by Dishonored, December 23, 2015, 06:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dishonored

Thought it was time to make a new post instead of one infinite one. LOL

My mom went in for her cancer checkup two weeks ago, and her blood count was just off by a little bit. Her tumor hasn't gone away or shrunk, but it has stopped growing.

The doctor prescribed a second chemo pill that would work with the first and actually shrink the tumor. It may have mild side effects, but still better than full-on chemotherapy. There's just one drawback.

The pills cost $9,800.

Since my folks are on a low, fixed income, they inquired about getting help. After several phone calls, letters, faxes, etc. they finally heard back.

On its way, here next week, is a full one-year regimen of the new pill for my mom from the manufacturer. Absolutely FREE.

Power of prayer and positive thinking, folks. Thank you for all of yours; I know it's helping.
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

Tapewolf

Awesome stuff, all things considered!

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

Yes, that's good to hear. I hope everything goes well.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

llearch n'n'daCorna

Wow. That's amazingly awesome. Here's hoping they work better than expected. -crosses fingers-
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Dishonored

Thread necromancy, I know, but I'm not gonna flood the forum with a new thread every month.

Having said that, my mom finished her first cycle on the new meds. From blood results, her white cell count is low (a side effect of the medication), but not dangerously or abnormally so. From the other tests, it looks like the pills are doing their stuff.

Good news all around; I'll keep you posted as time goes by. Thanks again for your support.
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

Gabi

That's good to hear. Thanks for sharing.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Dishonored on January 21, 2016, 09:05:34 AM
Thread necromancy, I know, but I'm not gonna flood the forum with a new thread every month.

You get a bye, in this case, because I like you. And because you're not doing it to be a dick, you're actively trying not to be. So, y'know. No biggie.

Also, good to hear the news.

llearch n'n'daCorna

So, uh, is there an update about the cancer?

In other news, the moderators (we discussed it) are happy for you to keep posting in this thread, despite the 2-month+ delay between updates. It's been quiet, I don't see anyone making too much of a fuss. Especially not the moderators. Consider Rule Vb in abeyance, and Vb1 applies here. ;-]

Dishonored

Thank you very much. The forbearance of the moderators is very much appreciated.

There's not a lot of news, as the process is going to be long-term. My mom had a CT scan a little over a week ago, the first since December, and it showed that the tumor hasn't changed in size. No growth is good, but we had been hoping that it would have shown some shrinkage.
Mom is on her regular chemo pill every day, and spends three weeks on the heavier one, and one week off.  The pills make her tired and ache, but it could be much worse. In every other way, she's an incredibly healthy 73-year-old woman.

Once again I'd like to thank everyone for their prayers and good thoughts. She appreciates it, and I know I certainly do.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for the update - it's good to hear things are no worse, even if they're no better than they were. Here's hoping that the darn thing is collapsing from the inside, and hence isn't showing smaller, but is actually getting kicked to death, as it were, in bits.

Gabi

I hope so too. Thanks for the update, and I hope she can stay strong throughout the rest of her treatment.