2015/11/07 - [DMFA # 1618] - You can't scare me, I work with children.

Started by MT Hazard, November 08, 2015, 11:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

The Soulstealers have a complicated relationship for sure, but I think both D.P and Kria would miss each other if one where to die for good permanently.

Not sure if there is any point in making this just before the Monday update but there you go.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Rafe

Given what she told Dan a while back, I get the impression that Kria has already given up on Aliph.  In that sense, she might miss the original version, but the current multiply-reanimated DP, who has apparently been losing more and more of his sense and stability, isn't worth reviving again. 

And as far as Kria working with children - other than her being a teacher/instructor during the time Abel was a boy, I don't remember hearing much about her career in that area.  Being over 400 years old does give you some room to try multiple occupations, of course.  Dealing with children as a form of evil does seem like a perfect match for Kria.  She'd be a great teacher in almost any situation.
Rafe

e_voyager

I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Reeves_Dove

Perhaps - but we don't know DP the way Kria does. We haven't seen the difference between how he was before he got revived, and what happened after he was revived for the first time, the second time - how many times has it been so far? (Seriously, Dan, why have you not cremated the body yet?)

It's quite likely that what's been lost isn't his overall personality - Dan certainly hadn't noticed any difference, after all! - but fine details that only someone who knows him well would pick up on. Imagine it this way: something awful happens to your computer and you restored from backup, and it looks like everything's there. Certainly all the important things are! But then you go to find, perhaps, an old file that you hadn't accessed in a while - a favourite picture, maybe, that a friend drew for you. And it isn't there. You can't find it anywhere. But hey - everything important for the computer's functioning is there, right? Now imagine this repeating itself several times, and each time the bits that the computer needs to boot up and function properly are still there, but the bits that make it your computer - old chatlogs, saved photos, games you hadn't finished - don't always make it through, there's always something missing.

I suspect that's why Kria's willing to get paid to not resurrect Aliph any more. She's seen him slowly lose pieces of himself - nothing that keeps him from trucking onwards and being recognizably himself, but small things. Preferences for favourite foods, maybe. Old hobbies that he'd never given up on, prior to dying the first time. Memories of private in-jokes that only he and Kria would know. Eventually, he'll be only recognizable by his face - but how long does she want to endure watching pieces of him flake away?