2015/05/20 [WBH 158] - Interrogation

Started by Tapewolf, June 01, 2015, 11:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Now I'm curious.  Is Ben actually good at interrogation, or do cameo incubi in DHS have the same thought-reading abilities that they do in DMFA?

EDIT: And if they do, is the evidence admissible...?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Merlin

I'm curious to know if Ben is usually good at interrogation. On one hand he's a 'cubi so reading minds means he probably is. On the other hand he's a 'cubi so short attention span means he's probably not.

Mind-reading totally produces valid evidence, but the native mind-readers are those three-eyed people (like Shauni) so it generally wouldn't be accepted from people without three-eyes. And yes, fairly open to abuse if you've got a good disguise.

As for 'cubi... I think it might be too complicated to let cameos keep all their 'cubi powers. So for now I'm going on "they're normal (but have cool wings)" until I need to change my mind for any reason. Maybe like... if they've got headwings they're proper 'cubi, if they don't, they're not. That holds up pretty well with what I've done so far...

...and means Daryil is proper 'cubi >:3

Puyon

I was thinking for awhile 'huh these Cubi folk have showed up enough that they may as well have their own race page' but I guess they're falling under the same category of which ROM Dryads did which was 'kind of like existing races but not native to this world/canon'?
...By Puyon

Merlin

Yeah, for now the 'cubis (Daryil nonwithstanding) are basically equivalent to halfie-feathries / halfie-scalers. They're just DHS-ified versions of other people's characters, because cameos are fun.

Edit: Suppose it's like the opposite of the DHS cameos in PF. Eg. in Epsilon, Daren's a 'cubi, but in DHS he's absolutely a native halfie-feathry.

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Merlin on June 01, 2015, 07:23:16 PM
I'm curious to know if Ben is usually good at interrogation. On one hand he's a 'cubi so reading minds means he probably is. On the other hand he's a 'cubi so short attention span means he's probably not.

Mind-reading totally produces valid evidence, but the native mind-readers are those three-eyed people (like Shauni) so it generally wouldn't be accepted from people without three-eyes. And yes, fairly open to abuse if you've got a good disguise.

As for 'cubi... I think it might be too complicated to let cameos keep all their 'cubi powers. So for now I'm going on "they're normal (but have cool wings)" until I need to change my mind for any reason. Maybe like... if they've got headwings they're proper 'cubi, if they don't, they're not. That holds up pretty well with what I've done so far...

...and means Daryil is proper 'cubi >:3

I suppose it depends on how easy it is to find what he's looking for in the person's mind. Although, he does like having an excuse to use his 'Cubi powers...

Thanks for the cameo, Merl! :)

Tapewolf

Maybe like... if they've got headwings they're proper 'cubi, if they don't, they're not. That holds up pretty well with what I've done so far...

How about Ben?  He's got a clan mark, so he's either 'Cubi or some kind of Daryil groupie with a tattoo.

Also, with Daren, his wings are still light even though he was going around killing things with Daisy.  Is that because he's only killed animals, or does the wing-darkening thing not apply to halfie-feathries?

I remember you said at the time Daryil cameo'd that it wouldn't apply to Daryil because he's an offworlder (probably for the best because Daryil's got a number of deaths on his conscience from his less pleasant centuries) but Ben's status seems a little less clear given the rest of this thread.

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 02, 2015, 04:24:07 AM
Maybe like... if they've got headwings they're proper 'cubi, if they don't, they're not. That holds up pretty well with what I've done so far...

How about Ben?  He's got a clan mark, so he's either 'Cubi or some kind of Daryil groupie with a tattoo.

It could be the mark of a follower of the God of Debauchery. ;)

Merlin

Quote from: CubiKitsune on June 02, 2015, 04:46:05 AM

It could be the mark of a follower of the God of Debauchery. ;)

Tattoos are fairly common. Weird coincidence, or weird Daryil groupie? Daryil's not a god (yet) since this is earlier than Random Encounter. But since I always forget his tattoo in Ark of Ur I wanted to draw it here, hahaha.

Also, with Daren, his wings are still light even though he was going around killing things with Daisy.  Is that because he's only killed animals, or does the wing-darkening thing not apply to halfie-feathries?

Only applies to full-blood feathries. He's just lucky his wings are nice and light.

I remember you said at the time Daryil cameo'd that it wouldn't apply to Daryil because he's an offworlder (probably for the best because Daryil's got a number of deaths on his conscience from his less pleasant centuries) but Ben's status seems a little less clear given the rest of this thread.

What was it... something like "his wings are half-black, did he half-kill a guy?". Ben probably didn't kill anyone, I've no idea of what his DHS backstory would be short of "dude's a hero" (since that fits nicely with his normal character).

Everybody else so far but Ben's been such a background role that it didn't matter if they were offworlder or not. I do have more 'cubi cameos coming up that throw a similar spanner in the works. So that's why I'm going no headwings = no 'cubi.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Merlin on June 02, 2015, 04:57:05 AM
Daryil's not a god (yet) since this is earlier than Random Encounter.

So he actually gets deified during the course of the story?  That should make for an interesting chapter.

Quote from: Merlin on June 02, 2015, 04:57:05 AM
Ben probably didn't kill anyone, I've no idea of what his DHS backstory would be short of "dude's a hero" (since that fits nicely with his normal character).

Heroes are a tricky subject since it almost always involves killing.  Heads you Lose is an exaggeration, but ultimately that is what adventurers do.
And I'm curious now - if the feathry dark wings thing even applies to accidental deaths, what if you bring in a criminal and they're executed?  What if they're on trial and your testimony gets them killed?

Merlin

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 02, 2015, 05:32:23 AM
Heroes are a tricky subject since it almost always involves killing.  (And I'm curious now - if the feathry dark wings thing even applies to accidental deaths, what if you bring someone in and they're executed?)

True, and the other hero here does have black wings for that reason. And... I wouldn't want to force any murders on my friends' characters!

As for black wings... Accidental deaths? Totally applies. Was a plot point in the old New Game, which I will revisit in New Game+ at some point (after all, Darkling says his black wings were an accident already). Bringing someone in to be executed? Doesn't count unless you're the executioner (which has also appeared in New Game+, without much detail though).

Tapewolf

Quote from: Merlin on June 02, 2015, 05:49:51 AM
True, and the other hero here does have black wings for that reason. And... I wouldn't want to force any murders on my friends' characters!

I thought that was probably the case at the time.

QuoteAs for black wings... Accidental deaths? Totally applies. Was a plot point in the old New Game, which I will revisit in New Game+ at some point (after all, Darkling says his black wings were an accident already).

Yeah, I knew that from Darkling.  Didn't know about the original New Game  (New Game- ?).  I'll have to look through that at some point.
QuoteBringing someone in to be executed? Doesn't count unless you're the executioner (which has also appeared in New Game+, without much detail though).

Now I'm even more curious.  Grain was tied to a tree and left to die - would that do the black wing thing?

Merlin

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 02, 2015, 01:11:32 PMYeah, I knew that from Darkling.  Didn't know about the original New Game  (New Game- ?).  I'll have to look through that at some point.

Hahaha I can't recommend that... it's kind of... bad. Meandering stories that go nowhere, art completely changing from page to page... There's a reason I rebooted it :P (actually several reasons, there was a bunch of stuff in it that really shouldn't have been canon. ever.)

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 02, 2015, 01:11:32 PMNow I'm even more curious.  Grain was tied to a tree and left to die - would that do the black wing thing?

If a feathry was one of the ones who tied him there and that would have killed him, yeah when he died they'd get black wings. Although technically he'd be dying of starvation/dehydration/exposure since it was somebody else's doing they're a murderer. The God of Death doesn't like loopholes, so if there's any doubt it usually ends in black wings. Make a handy "is he dead yet"-ometer.

Feathries do usually try to avoid being the one responsible for a "killing blow" (or what have you) though. Can't be avoided some times (like with heroes) but mostly they don't want black wings. If there was anybody else who could tie him down they'd have them do it instead.