2015/04/27 [DMFA #1570] Forgotten Love

Started by MT Hazard, April 27, 2015, 05:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Poor Devin, beating himself up over his lost memoires. It was already bad that he lost them, but to feel that it is his fault for not loving someone enough. That's heart breaking.

On a different note, can undead actually cry? "I know now why you cry, but it's something I can never do"
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Dimitri Lionheart

Oh dear....nothing like waking up 5am just too get some feels!

Man I dint think it would affect him this way. =(

Merlin

Drakkenmensch

Oh, poor Devin! I want to hug him and help him feel better.

On a funnier note, he's got his right arm back, so in between this strip and the previous he had to calm down enough, walk back to Kria and say "I'll take that back, thanks."

Grey Wolf

Quote from: Drakkenmensch on April 27, 2015, 07:35:44 AM
Oh, poor Devin! I want to hug him and help him feel better.

On a funnier note, he's got his right arm back, so in between this strip and the previous he had to calm down enough, walk back to Kria and say "I'll take that back, thanks."

I like to think it crawled away because it didn't want to hear the Talk, either ;)
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Stilghar

And I thought it was sad when Abel watched them die...   :<
"For a man to help others with all his gifts and native strength: that is the noblest work."
-Sophocles

Hariman

Sometimes, DMFA has all the feels, including the sad ones.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

justacritic

Hmmm the question is which is better, remembering but not feeling or not remembering but able to feel once it's been told to you. At least you still feel something Devin, that may be enough.

Delian Williams

Oh my, what a beating from a still heart. :`(

Also: Oh noes! The paper got Devin's name wrong or the wiku pedia or he changed it.
Devin Mc Allenstir vs. Devin J. Mernstar (on the cast page he's just Devin Soulstealer)

Clan Dimanika, go!

Truth be told, I'm starting to worry about Ray.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Delian Williams on April 27, 2015, 01:42:15 PM
Also: Oh noes! The paper got Devin's name wrong or the wiku pedia or he changed it.
Devin Mc Allenstir vs. Devin J. Mernstar (on the cast page he's just Devin Soulstealer)

Devin J. Mernstar is the name young Abel used on page 7 of Abel's Story pt1, where he seems to have fallen out with Devin and is roleplaying him being attacked by a Gryphon.

That might mean that Abel has made up the name for some reason, in which case the wiki has jumped to the wrong conclusion, or he might have changed it.  After all, he was largely brought up by his uncle and aunt so it's not impossible that one surname belongs to them and the other to his birth parents.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Delian Williams

*bows to Tapewolf's archive skills/knowledge*
In case little Abel just got Devin's surname wrong, what a cute "kids say the darndest things" moment :mowhappy

Truth be told, I'm starting to worry about Ray.

maus_merryjest

Damnit Amber. My feels are going to be hurting all day now :(

HaDDea

Aww, this page is so sad and sweet... and then I had to see that image Ambarrrgh's husband drew below. Dammit, Amber! stop giving me mood whiplash!

Devin, don't be so hard on yourself - you were DEAD for nearly four centuries. Cut yourself a little slack there!

Jasonrevall

An entire past life gone must be frustrating to the core when you cant remember anything no matter how hard you try. Devin probably sometimes, albeit maybe very rarely now after all this time, thinks to himself that maybe if he just tried a little harder he could remember something.

It can't be easy to be in the situation he is in but that can be said for most the cast at this point can't it?
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: HaDDea on April 27, 2015, 08:19:56 PM
Devin, don't be so hard on yourself - you were DEAD for nearly four centuries. Cut yourself a little slack there!

Ah... technically, undead for on the order of three and a quarter centuries. The Undead have been around as a race for about 40 years, and Devin and Abel were about 24 or so when Devin, uh, stopped being any older. So to speak...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

HaDDea

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 28, 2015, 03:24:35 PM
Quote from: HaDDea on April 27, 2015, 08:19:56 PM

Ah... technically, undead for on the order of three and a quarter centuries. The Undead have been around as a race for about 40 years, and Devin and Abel were about 24 or so when Devin, uh, stopped being any older. So to speak...

True, but Devin wasn't sentient - he was (to borrow from Order of the Stick) "bits of skin and bone and dark energy, glued together by magic into the shape of a [being]". He was, by his own admission, little more than a piece of mobile furniture. He remembers nothing - because there was nothing in him at the time that could remember. He was effectively dead, even if his body had been reanimated.

Grey Wolf

Quote from: Jasonrevall on April 27, 2015, 09:29:15 PM
An entire past life gone must be frustrating to the core when you cant remember anything no matter how hard you try. Devin probably sometimes, albeit maybe very rarely now after all this time, thinks to himself that maybe if he just tried a little harder he could remember something.

It can't be easy to be in the situation he is in but that can be said for most the cast at this point can't it?

I think this has actually happened, sort of. People have gotten head injuries where they remember nothing of their lives before except language and stuff.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Sunblink

Well, this comic got me right in the heart.

Rafe

What fascinates me about this is that we go from Devin being something of an unknown as far as his emotions (and not really knowing if the undead have much in that department) to someone who's obviously drowning in them right now.  On top of that, we really don't know what exactly has him in such a state.

He obviously has a connection to the original Devin - enough of one that he's spent a lot of time learning about him.  He might feel guilty that he, whatever "he" is now, is inhabiting the body that belonged to someone else, and perhaps because he's working for those who killed him (even though he says he's okay with that).  Hearing Abel, who knew him and can talk about him as if he'd just seen him yesterday, probably got him to think of the original Devin in a way he had never thought of before, and realize that he was a real person, and not just some collection of historical records.  The present, undead Devin probably had certain ideas and hopes about what the original was like, and now that he's gotten close enough to see him much more clearly, what he sees is disturbing him to the point of tears.  I don't think that the fact that he was gay or other details that bother him, but that he finally sees him as a real person, not as some kind of remote precursor of himself.  But what might be hurting him the most is that, compared to the being he replaced, his own existence is empty and fairly meaningless.  

A lot of this is speculation, but one thing we know; undead Devin would desperately love to have the memories of the original Devin.

Rafe