The covenant. (spoilers)

Started by Gryphon, September 09, 2006, 04:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryphon

To put it gently... Dawson's creek with magic.

I got dragged into this one. I really wanted to see the Protector in it's original unedited format. How can you pass up bone breaking kung fu? But apparently someone thought magic would be cooler than kung fu. Fool.

Anyway if you watched the trailers you already know the plot. Four "teenage" boys have magic powers and there is this one other dip who is flagrantly being the bad guy. Eventually someone is going to have to go out there and put a cap in the bad guy's head. But first the bad guy gets to be evil and creepy.

Right. That's it. One made to order chick flick with barely a swipe at grabbing at the other half of the audience. All twenty of us. Not good.

Now it is time to talk about the good things.
It's got magic. It saves their butts and looks good doing so.
It's got your standard power corrupts and if you use it too much you start to become emperor palpatine.
ONE harry potter reference.

Now it is time to talk about the bad parts of the movie.
The magic isn't THAT original. The main offensive weapon is basically balls of "The Force" that you wing at your opponent. Frankly I expected fireballs, lightning bolts, maybe even a summon or two. But no. No combat summons.
If you hate spiders this will creep you out.
It's frigging boring!
Very big build up. Very little fight scene.
It's dawson's creek.
It looked so promising and could have been soooo much more. But it fails. Miserably.

Final opinion: Why was I dragged into this?