fighting game (mis)translation

Started by Jack McSlay, September 14, 2006, 12:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McSlay

dunno about other countries, but here in brazil we get a buncha mistranslated move names on fighting games, for example:

Sagat's Tiger Uppercut (SFII): Tiger Robocop
Ryu/ken`s Tatsumaki senpu kyakku (SFII): A trek trek true gen
Terry's overheat geyser (KOF97): oh my sh*t!! geyser!!
E. Honda`s doskhoi (SFII): poo hooy
Chun li's spinning bird kick: in taiti
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Rowne

... oh dear.

That is so very wrong.

Though it reminds me conversely of Ryu's Perfection Droolkitsch which was apparently supposed to be Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku but it obviously wasn't.  Then there was Streets of Rage, where Grand Uppercut sounded more like Rent a Car than it was supposed to.  I think that with Asian games in general, this is just something we have to accept, unless they happen to have a really good translation team of course.  Which is rare.

I must note however that if Mother 3 doesn't get a damned good translation team, heads will roll.

Aridas

Quote from: Jack McSlay on September 14, 2006, 12:47:55 PM

Considering most of those sound just like that, I wouldn't be surprised if they got text-translated that way.

Rowne

This is actually why I'd love to see Westernized versions of a lot of these games, even if they were only fan creations.

I'm sorry but I find that Guile, with a deep and booming voice, yelling 'Sonic Boom' like a cheesy televised soldier character very amusing.  They should use Buzz Lightyear's voice for that.

Now I'm going to leave this thread before I'm chased out by pitchforks.  <.<

Manawolf

Tim Allen Buzz Lightyear or the Cartoon Series Buzz Lightyear?

Rowne

Either would work, actually.  They both have qualities that would add to the hilarity.  Though I believe that the film Buzz had a more consistently deep voice, so that would likely work better.

----

Further, would it be wrong to want to hear Jackie Chan voicing Ryu?

Vidar

All your base are belong to us - Zero Wing

* runs *
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Rowne

I take your Zero Wing and for the value of humour alone (even though it has nothing to do with bad translations), I raise you Oregon Trail!  The home of bad gaming humour for me was always the old home-computer days.  Oregon Trail still has me in fits of giggles whenever I play it.  I'm not sure why, mind you but it does.

Jack McSlay

speaking of Sonic Boom, it gets really hard to pick up "Sonic boom" on SFII if you don't know it is supposed to sonic boom. it looks more like "Alec is full"

it is also fun to see the multiple interpretations of the E from E. Honda and the M from M. Bison

Rowne

Of course, the most inexplicable thing from Street Fighter for me was Chun-Li's hyperactive leg-moves.

I mean, strike a light, what were they thinking?  There's a woman there who could likely operate a 60's computer console with her legs yelling 60 yaps a second.  This ... this I will never forget.

Aridas

Quote from: Jack McSlay on September 17, 2006, 11:01:51 AM
speaking of Sonic Boom, it gets really hard to pick up "Sonic boom" on SFII if you don't know it is supposed to sonic boom. it looks more like "Alec is full"

it is also fun to see the multiple interpretations of the E from E. Honda and the M from M. Bison

Not to ruin your fun, but Since M. Bison was the name of the boxer in the REAL game (they changed this for obvious reasons), the M must stand for Mike, since it would be a parody of Mike Tyson. >.>

oddly enough, "Edmond" just doesn't satisfy me for Honda, though... I mean, what kind of a name is Edmond? I demand he get a new name.

Kenji

Maybeit's Ebisu/Ebisumaru Honda?
And I so freakin want a Tiger Robocop.

Aridas

Ebisumaru is a name better suited to the fruity ninja from the Goemon games. >.>

Kenji

And the only true Sasuke is a robotic ninja, mermaids are cooler when they use bazookas, and Goemon looks better as a super saiyan than Goku, so what's your point? :T

Aridas

my point is....... uhm.... y'see... first there's... er.. *beeps FKK's nose and dives off a nearby escape cliff*

Jack McSlay

the m. bison/mike tyson thing always seemed obvious, but doesn't apply to the US version since they switched names. so I'll just stick with Mister Bison

the most hilarious e.honda one I've heard is one guy that told me that it was Esquadrão Honda (esquadrão = squadron in portuguese)

not to mention I've also heard T. Hawk = Ting Hawk

KarlOmega1

ok..on another note...in the game Darkstalkers or in MvsC....has anyone notice that everytime Morrigan does "Soul Fist", she sounds like she's shouting "SORRY!"?
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Leafar

dunno about other countries, but here in brazil we get a buncha mistranslated move names on fighting games, for example:

OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU MADE A THREAD ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD !!!!!!!!!!

BUT IN MY CITY WE SAY:

E.Honda = yukui!!!
Chun Li = kiminitaxi!!!
Ken/Ryu Shouryuken = roooooooooriuget

Kyo's KOF projectile = chulééééé

when i remember more i'll post it... :p

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Leafar on September 17, 2006, 08:10:34 PM

OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU MADE A THREAD ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD !!!!!!!!!!

BUT IN MY CITY WE SAY:

E.Honda = yukui!!!
Chun Li = kiminitaxi!!!
Ken/Ryu Shouryuken = roooooooooriuget

Kyo's KOF projectile = chulééééé

when i remember more i'll post it... :p

too bad so few people here know portuguese... SNK has the most hilarious mistranslations...

Erundina! garota... (Orochi yashiro's dash-grab move) trans: "Erundina! girl..."
Um buraco no chinelo (Iori's standard prebout) trans: "A hole in the scuff"
Tô numa matinê (one of iori's victories) trans: "I'm in a matinee"
Urinou... bosta!!! (maxima's bunker buster) trans: "Pee... crap!!!"
Boi caçando (Omega Rugal's spanking hyper) trans: "ox hunting"
Olha o popozão!! (Tizoc's olimpus over) trans: "look at the big butt!!"

I think you can make up more interesting ones in portuguese because the language has a far simpler diction than english and larger vocabulary. there was even a guy who mocked the entire daileon them song

another move It should be very controversial is Rayden's flying move. dunno what english people think about it but for me it has aways been "Vou cagar no carro!!!" trans: "I'm gonna crap on the car"