12/11/09 [Xmas #4] - Jyrras Weaponizes Christmas.

Started by Turnsky, December 11, 2009, 03:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrap Fish

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 11, 2009, 05:24:44 PM
Yeah. Them kind of bribes tend to cost stuff like...paying for delicious dinner at Anthrocons. :U
I am strongly against the act of bribing, as I believe it is wrong and completely unethical. (And I can't afford it.) So, no soup for you!  >:3

Just spreading the confusion around. There's enough for everybody!

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on December 11, 2009, 07:38:45 PM
And the conventions always seem to include Mondays, never just Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  Mondays are usually when the most important lectures occur and when assignments are due.

Not meaning to derail it too much, AC generally runs from Thursday-Sunday.  Thursday is setup day so not much officially happens but the Zoo is open and people will hang out there.  I think you can also collect your badge that day as well.  Friday-Sunday are the 'con proper.
Monday is teardown day but it is not unknown for people to disappear Sunday night because they couldn't book Monday off at work or whatever.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 12, 2009, 04:23:47 AM
Quote from: ChaosMageX on December 11, 2009, 07:38:45 PM
And the conventions always seem to include Mondays, never just Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  Mondays are usually when the most important lectures occur and when assignments are due.

Not meaning to derail it too much, AC generally runs from Thursday-Sunday.  Thursday is setup day so not much officially happens but the Zoo is open and people will hang out there.  I think you can also collect your badge that day as well.  Friday-Sunday are the 'con proper.
Monday is teardown day but it is not unknown for people to disappear Sunday night because they couldn't book Monday off at work or whatever.

Wow, Anthrocon is all the way over in Pennsylvania.  I'm 21 years old, and yet Hell will have to freeze over before my parents let me travel all the way up there.  How pathetic is that?
If I work really hard, I might be able to convince them to let me drive to Dallas for Furry Fiesta, but anything beyond that is a no-go.

Besides, first-class plane flights are expensive at around $1800 and I'm not flying coach after how 9-11 ruined it.  And even first-class might have to have their IDs checked 2 dozen times and be eligible for random cavity searches. *shudder*

9-11 ruined most modes of travel, except the bus or driving myself, and that would take an additional week to get to where I'm going and get back, so yeah, I generally do not want to travel to far off places.

If I were to attend Further Confusion, something I've been wanting to do for years now, I'd drive myself there and merge it with a trip to Los Angeles to visit my grandmother and some of the theme parks that city has to offer, most likely including Legoland.

Basically, I need more of an excuse than just a convention to convince myself to visit any place beyond the Houston area and to try to convince my parents to let me visit that place.

Icon by Sunblink

Fibre

Quote from: ChaosMageX on December 12, 2009, 11:54:32 AM
Wow, Anthrocon is all the way over in Pennsylvania.  I'm 21 years old, and yet Hell will have to freeze over before my parents let me travel all the way up there.  How pathetic is that?
If I work really hard, I might be able to convince them to let me drive to Dallas for Furry Fiesta, but anything beyond that is a no-go.

Besides, first-class plane flights are expensive at around $1800 and I'm not flying coach after how 9-11 ruined it.  And even first-class might have to have their IDs checked 2 dozen times and be eligible for random cavity searches. *shudder*

9-11 ruined most modes of travel, except the bus or driving myself, and that would take an additional week to get to where I'm going and get back, so yeah, I generally do not want to travel to far off places.

If I were to attend Further Confusion, something I've been wanting to do for years now, I'd drive myself there and merge it with a trip to Los Angeles to visit my grandmother and some of the theme parks that city has to offer, most likely including Legoland.

Basically, I need more of an excuse than just a convention to convince myself to visit any place beyond the Houston area and to try to convince my parents to let me visit that place.

I fly "coach" fairly often, and security is always a breeze despite my initial concerns when I started flying a few years ago. And I'm pretty sure security is identical for first-class. If you're interested, I would suggest packing light and avoiding checked bags if possible, and read the TSA and airline site for the basic routine beforehand. And if you dress and act professionally, security will treat you professionally.

Houston Hobby and the Pittsburgh airport seem to be some of the nicer ones in terms of security, as well. I travelled to AC2009 from Houston and will doing so again for AC2010. Also considering Furry Fiesta, though I'm rather unsure about that one for various reasons (unrelated to the con itself).

Anyway, not sure how much I should talk about all this in this thread, but please feel free to PM me about them if you like...