Woman forced to take nipple ring off at airport

Started by Sufurin Scorda, March 31, 2008, 05:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sufurin Scorda

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080327/ap_on_re_us/nipple_rings

Watch out for nipple ring terrorists, guys. I heard they're the worst kind.

Man, that's just low. Forcing her to actually take the damn things off, when she could've just showed one of the female agents. Especially because of the scar tissue. I would've sued even if they didn't apologize. (I don't even see anything about them actually apologizing in the article.)

Dannysaysnoo

Did they think she was a suicide bomber, and the rings were the pins or something? Other than that, there is no real reason to remove them.

Toric

Huh, they blame the poorly-worded policy that "if it sets off the alarm, they can't board until it's removed." I have friends who live in Lubbock, good thing none of them have piercings beyond standard earrings to my knowledge.
Yap by Silver.

Alondro

It might have been a boob-grenade!  Don't forget about Fembots!!   D:
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

techmaster-glitch

Actually, I think I know what's going on here (I'm not defending or attacking the officials, I'm just saying how it works). The ring itself couldn't possibly have been dangerous, but it could have been a mask for something that does. When you walk through a metal detector, it only detects the presence of metal, not where it is. That's probably why they had her take them off, so they coul run her through it again to see if there was anything else.
Of course, they could have used one of those hand-held detectors...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 31, 2008, 02:06:58 PM
Of course, they could have used one of those hand-held detectors...

... or their brain.

Oh, wait. They did - the former, anyway. I don't think they have one of the latter...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sunblink

Quote from: Dak on March 31, 2008, 05:38:51 AM

Watch out for nipple ring terrorists, guys. I heard they're the worst kind.

Man, that's just low. Forcing her to actually take the damn things off, when she could've just showed one of the female agents. Especially because of the scar tissue. I would've sued even if they didn't apologize. (I don't even see anything about them actually apologizing in the article.)

No no Dak, haven't you heard? Nipples are lethal weapons. If they're exposed to cold temperatures, they explode. True story.

Sarcasm aside, that is terribly humiliating. If that had happened to me, I would have been devastated, especially if I heard some jerkoffs snickering. Poor lady. For god's sake, those people at the very least owe her an apology.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

bill

This probably is more of a case of security guards being too concerned of being fired to make any exceptions, rather than the security guards being former Auschwitz guards. Unfortunately, that's what happens when you teach people a zero-tolerance policy.

Lushin

I can see where this is bad and the guards where alittle too stuck to their guns but also she should have known not to wear metal through an airport that she couldn't easily take off in public. I mean yes the guards where being jerks about it but it's basically a two way thing. If you know your gonna be going through a metal detecher you shouldn't wear metal in places you would be embarassed to show in public. I mean put it in your bags or something.
/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Did you actually read the link?

"Nipple rings tend to grow back in" - or, the skin has a tendency to grow into the ring, and can be extremely painful to remove.

It's not like earrings. Seriously. If it were, it'd be different.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

Brunhidden

it reminds me of the old lady they arrested for having nail clippers in her purse

seriously- if you somehow manage to be killed or held hostage by a grandma with nail clippers, anyone using nipple piercings as a weapon, or hand lotion..... you deserve some extra special short bus afterlife for people too pathetic to go to normal hell.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Ryudo Lee

It couldn't be worse than the guy who got interrogated for trying to bring through a Macbook Air through airport security.  None of the guards had ever seen it before and they thought it was a bomb.  The guy was there for an ungodly amount of time trying to explain to them that it was just a laptop, but they didn't believe him until another guard who had seen the commercials came in and told them what it was.

So yeah, I think llearch is right about them not using their brains.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Rakala

Yeah, I've tried to avoid travel by flight since all these new policies. I got the ultimate embarassment at an airport once (this was almost just after 9/11) when my dad had to drop his pants because he had a metal belt buckle right in front of everyone. They didn't even take him aside. I have never lived down that devestation because it was a marching band trip. To this day I only fly when I'm travelling to other countries.

And Ryudo, I think that was my cousin. I remember him explaining that same incident to me and he was really upset.

Ryudo Lee

Wow, small world.  Any lawsuits come from that?

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Rakala

Nah. I don't think so. But it's been awhile since I've talked to him.