Thunderstorm makes comic late(UPDATE)

Started by Amber Williams, August 24, 2007, 08:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Turnsky on August 29, 2007, 08:24:15 AM
Quote from: Naldru on August 29, 2007, 08:20:06 AM
Just wanted to mention something.  If you do hook up multiple batteries to a UPS, try very hard to have the UPS in a different room than the cmputer.  As you say, they give off a lot of heat.

or put a griddle on the UPS and have yourself a nice little barbecue.  :P
Nah, that wont work - when it gets to a certain point(too hot to touch for long), they auto-shut off, which is good, as you wont fry anything by overloading it.

Also, its not as much actual heat as you would imagine, just the temps, especially in those sealed cases. I figure, 2 quiet computer fans(12V), one in and one out(put them in series and attach them to the output leads of your battery pack with a switch to turn them off), should be enough. You run into problems mainly when the heat just builds up, much like an oven.

I am right now testing a 1000VA modified APC UPS that was failing for my parents(though, it turned out, just a matter of adjusting settings and setting up a better battery pack), which I have pulled out of its case, and stuck it in a heavy-duty wooden case(For now, the top is off, so I can feel when things get too hot). It is currently hooked up to a pair of 12AH gel packs(because they were charged and handy...).
[Note that, for testing purposes, I have plugged it into this computer's ups, so when it shuts off, my comp will not be affected.]

As of this post, and I will later edit in the full results, the heat-sinks are warm to the touch, it has been running for 17 minutes, and the battery voltage is 21.8V.

edit: Ok, it shut off a tad after 21 minutes - I didn't get the battery voltage at that time though, sorry.
It was hot to the touch, though not extremely hot.
edit2:  Ok, after adding 2 92mm fans to it, i hooked it up to 21AH of gel-packs, and it lasted for 50 mins. Heat-sinks were warm to the touch. I am thinking I am only running out of battery, so next test I am gonna need to use two car(truck)-batteries.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Kenji

Every time I read the name of this topic, I always see "Thunderstep makes comic late".
Dern Canadians... with their ancient ruins...

Psy-Kosh

Just a quick thought with regards to lightning and fish: Charge accumalates at the surface of a conductor, and current, especially AC, well tend to have most of its energy tied close to the surface of the conductor... so fish not near the surface of the water, or, possibly, the sides of the lake, should be fine I imagine.

At least, that would be my initial off the top of my head no calculation or anything at all guess.

Zedd

Quote from: Kenji on August 30, 2007, 12:45:33 AM
Every time I read the name of this topic, I always see "Thunderstep makes comic late".
Dern Canadians... with their ancient ruins...
Shhh...They can hear us...Canada is like USA's baseball cap