Whats under YOUR keys

Started by Paladin Sheppard, July 18, 2007, 07:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin Sheppard

Hehe just wondering how long people go without cleaning underneath your keys on your keyboards. Just finished mine :P

Turnsky

dust, crumbs.. the sanity of many a hollywood actor.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Kasarn

It's been over a year since I cleaned mine. I've been meaning to clean it over the past few months but I can't really be bothered :S

Ryudo Lee

At home, mostly chip crumbs, dust, and cat hair.  I recently dusted mine out, and I have one of those extended Logitech G15 keyboards.  At work, mostly a little bit of dust.  I work in the server room, so I keep it fairly clean.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

DarkAudit

I'll at least tap the thing on the desk every week or so to shake out the crumbs. It hasn't had a proper cleaning in months, though.  :erk
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Zedd

llearch n'n'daCorna

I resolve the issue far more easily.

I don't eat over the any key.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ryudo Lee

superluser

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on July 18, 2007, 09:29:51 AMI have one of those extended Logitech G15 keyboards.

If we're doing keyboard comparisons, I've got most of you beat.  Unicomp keyboard--they bought the rights to make the old IBM model M keyboards.

As to what's under mine? a couple quarters, some crumbs, a cut-out of an l from Johnston Sans, and...so *that's* where my Men Without Hats LP went...

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Ryudo Lee

I wasn't trying to do a keyboard comparison.  I was just showing that mine is longer than your average keyboard so you can imagine the extra dust/cat hair/crumbs that end up in my keyboard.

And since we're on the subject of cleaning out dust and crumbs from equipment, has anyone dusted out their cpu's lately?  I recently cleaned mine, and it was full of, you guessed it, cat hair.  I could create a whole 'nother cat with all I dusted out of that box.

I remember those metal keyboards though.  My mom used them when she was a typist (the official position was called Word Processor).  I remember my dad telling me about one of the manuals for those keyboards containing a technique to fix stuck keys.
Step 1: Lift keyboard up about a foot from the table.
Step 2: Drop keyboard on the table.
The shock would get the keys unstuck.  Of course, you couldn't do that to today's keyboards. :3

Vidar

I never clean my keyboard. If it gets too dirty, I buy a new one.  8)
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Azlan

I have a G15 as well and I have discovered that the thing loves cat hair...

I sit in the camp with llearch, I dun eat over my 'board.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Fuyudenki

Given I upgraded to a water-sealed, nearly-indestructible silicone keyboard a few months ago, I have no problems with board chow.  When it gets dirty, I just wave it around a bit.

This also means, of course, I can use my keyboard as a napkin for food, and don't have to worry about spills.  It's comfortable, and much more silent than normal keyboards, and the keys almost never get stuck on it.

I do occasionally run into trouble with the right Shift key.  Have to jam that one down really hard to get it to recognize, sometimes.

Ryudo Lee

TheGreyRonin

I'm almost afraid to look.

I've never cleaned under my keys, because every time I do something that involves removing keys, I somehow end up crippling my spacebar. Permanently.

ilpalazzo

There was a dead spider in mine.

R.A.M.

love the broken english  and weird testing

some tests where made in Bangkok with yogurt and a dog.

Fuyudenki

yeah, they specifically say, multiple times on the box, "You can even use this keyboard during a sandstorm!"

what I want to know is what kind of computers can I use during a sandstorm.

And why I would want to use a keyboard during a sandstorm, instead of, say, covering my face with a damp cloth and waiting it out.

Nikki

i'm scared to look closer...

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Fuyudenki

I love being me.

"Oh, what's under my keys, what's under my keys?"

*shakes keyboard to side of desk.*

keyboard all clean, now!
Oh, maybe I should hit it with a sponge, while I'm at it.

Does nobody else here even have a keyboard cover?  I recall my best friend used to be really paranoid about that kind of thing, his computer had a glare guard and a keyboard cover, and he'd still yell at me if I brought a Coke anywhere near his computer desk.

superluser

Quote from: Raist on July 21, 2007, 12:37:51 AMDoes nobody else here even have a keyboard cover?

I do!  I do!  What do I win?

(P.S. The keys will never go on a buckling spring keyboard)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?