Happy Star Wars day

Started by Brunhidden, May 25, 2007, 07:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brunhidden

Thirty years ago today Star Wars was unleashed upon an unsuspecting world. The anniversary of such is almost a holiday and today will be filled with parties and theme everything.

we today do not realize how much SW and ST changed the world- they allowed science fiction to become mainstream, and once that happened people decided we could DO some of this funky stuff that nobody would ever have thought possible if they saw it on 'flash gordon'. personal computers, cellphones, holographs, intelligently designed combat armor- everything. nerds have changed the world because of wookies and robots shaped like trashcans.

so today celebrate the momentous occasion that was star wars. go nerd it up, geek out, and possibly even rock out with your spock out if your into cross fandom action. today is a day to be proud that you are addicted to internet, that you know the names of all the vehicles in any given star wars movie despite them never being mentioned, that you play rollplaying games that involve the consumption of cheetoes, and that the force is with you for some reason.

however lets not get too nerdy, please bathe regularly and refrain from snorting when you laugh.

QuoteHelp me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Zedd

Yay it was a good run and stuff....But its sad no more movies for us all so all we have the books now to look up to yet somehow I am more a Doctor Who fan anyways

RJ

They had a 17 hour movie marathon in Brisbane or Sydney (can't remember exactly) to celebrate it. During it, some guy got arrested because they thought he was carrying a weapon when it was a toy lazer gun.

ITOS

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on May 25, 2007, 07:49:28 AMpersonal computers, cellphones, holographs, intelligently designed combat armor- everything.

Bah, I'm still waiting for them to make a lightsaber.
It's been thirty years! Get to work! >:O
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Knight

QuoteThirty years ago today Star Wars was unleashed upon an unsuspecting world. The anniversary of such is almost a holiday and today will be filled with parties and theme everything.

we today do not realize how much SW and ST changed the world- they allowed science fiction to become mainstream, and once that happened people decided we could DO some of this funky stuff that nobody would ever have thought possible if they saw it on 'flash gordon'. personal computers, cellphones, holographs, intelligently designed combat armor- everything. nerds have changed the world because of wookies and robots shaped like trashcans.

so today celebrate the momentous occasion that was star wars. go nerd it up, geek out, and possibly even rock out with your spock out if your into cross fandom action. today is a day to be proud that you are addicted to internet, that you know the names of all the vehicles in any given star wars movie despite them never being mentioned, that you play rollplaying games that involve the consumption of cheetoes, and that the force is with you for some reason.

however lets not get too nerdy, please bathe regularly and refrain from snorting when you laugh.

WELL SPOKEN SIR!

As a huge trilogy and Ep III freak, I say hurrah!

I'm waiting to see what Star Wars stamp got voted into our USPS's circulation.  I voted for the emperor like, 25 times, seriously.

LIGHT SABER WHEE

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/feature/gizmodo-exclusive-burning-stuff-with-a-green-wicked-laser-233824.php?mail2=true

We can't slice titanium and human bodies with them yet, but we can sure pop balloons and light cigarettes with 'em!

Weirdo science fiction culture is impervious to attack.  No matter who does what to you, or how popular it is or isn't at the time.  At the end of the day, you can still say proudly proclaim, if just to yourself, "FUK U LIGHTSABERS ARE STILL COOL".

Zorro

Brunhidden

oh yes- they're also developing 2 new star wars television series. one is animated and the other live action, i believe the live action one is supposed to be filling in the 20 year or so gap between episode 3 and 4... luke as a kid? how solo rescued chewie from slavery? i highly doubt the coolest characters, Yoda and R2, will make much of an appearance because its 20 years of living in a swamp for one and standard ship maitenence for the other.

QuoteThe only way to succeed is to make people hate you.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.